Insurance

audiseller

hi there,

In order to insure the caravan you will need to register with the police national in the area the van is sited in order to get an NIE number. This will then enable you to get insurance through a Spanish insurance co. We are with AXA insurance.

Hope this helps

Foxy

Hi audiseller

I also have a touring caravan sited in Spain which I use during the winter and stored off site for the summer.

Our circumstances may not be quite the same as I bought mine in England and had it shipped to Spain. Whilst it was still in England I insured it with the Camping and Caravanning Club and on renewal this year told them that the van was now stored in Spain and gave them the address of the storage compound. They were happy with that!

I am very interested in foxy's advice but after the experience of a friend this year I would be wary of having anything registered in Spain. She sold her Spanish bought caravan to a German couple and the sale transaction turned out to be a nightmare. It has to be done through a solicitor. The main problem seemed to be because the Germans were not Spanish residents.

John L

Wirralian - 2016-08-21 4:47 PM

Hi audiseller

I also have a touring caravan sited in Spain which I use during the winter and stored off site for the summer.

Our circumstances may not be quite the same as I bought mine in England and had it shipped to Spain. Whilst it was still in England I insured it with the Camping and Caravanning Club and on renewal this year told them that the van was now stored in Spain and gave them the address of the storage compound. They were happy with that!

I am very interested in foxy's advice but after the experience of a friend this year I would be wary of having anything registered in Spain. She sold her Spanish bought caravan to a German couple and the sale transaction turned out to be a nightmare. It has to be done through a solicitor. The main problem seemed to be because the Germans were not Spanish residents.

John L

Hi John,

Many thanks for the advice, they were probably the only insurers I hadn't tried. Not cheap but for 365 days continental cover with a British company it's acceptable. I had no desire to go the NIE route ??

Thanks again,

Ian

Archived