7 berth, 7 travelling seats

MarkRF

My wife and I are on our first motorhome holiday and are enjoying it so much we are thinking about buying our first motorhome.

We have 5 kids and have rented a roller team 707 as this was one of the only 7 berth homes we could find.

We're aware of a few manufacturers who make pretty much identically size homes, but can't find any who make anything a bit bigger.

One of the problems is with the size of the beds. They are fine while the kids are young, but as they grow up I fear they will be quickly outgrown.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a 7 berth motorhome with 7 travelling seats that would suit a growing family?

Looking at the advert for the van . it states that 7th bed only usable for a child. I guess your children are all young. The problem you will most likely find , that is if you can find another7 berth, will be lack of payload for all your needs.If there is a bigger (over 3500 ) one. do you have a licence to drive it?

I would be very surprised if there are any vans that would suit your requirements for when the family gets bigger. With 5 kids, will you use a van often enough to warrant the cost of purchase, Insure Tax, and services . You may find hiring will be cheaper, until the older kids no longer want to holiday with Mum and Dad

will be interested to see how you get on. I don't envy you taking 5 kids away, we found 3 was too many at a time!!

PJay

If you holiday on sites you could consider a pup tent for the older children as they get bigger.

If I had the van in my 'possession' I'd be tempted to visit a weighbridge, that would be a new holiday experiance for the family B-)

Finding a motorhome capable of transporting a family of seven and all the stuff that goes with lots of children like bikes is a challenge but really big motorhomes are available - at a price. 

If you can afford one there are the RS Evolution or Envoy, made in UK, but they are heavy vehicles so you would need the relevant driving licence for the size.  You could do the same sort of thing much more cheaply by converting an old coach but you might then struggle to get insurance cover (because insurers don't like DIY conversions) as well as having to get the necessary driving licence.

Finding places to stay and park in big motorhomes like these is presumably a bit problematic and maybe you would be better off buying a big yacht!

I once saw a coach which was ostensibly converted to an ambulance,like one of the Jumbulance things which take pilgrims to Lourdes, but which was actually being used as the guy's own motorhome and merely had "Ambulance" painted on the sides.  He was being a bit secretive about it and I suspect what he was doing was illegal.  He was towing a big motorbike behind it too!  Not sure about which driving licence you would need for a heavy ambulance but you definitely get free road tax!

Sadly I suspect that having five children makes it pretty impractical to go motorhoming in a conventional way, as perhaps you have already discovered.

You're right, the seventh bed is only suitable for a child and also the double in the dinette is only a childs bed when all 7 beds are made up. Our kids are all young enough to fit in them for a good few years yet.

We will use a van enough to make it worthwhile, it's practically impossible for us to find hotel rooms to accommodate us all for example. And as far as licences are concerned I do have a licence to drive bigger vans.

We've found that 5 kids is actually easier than 3!!

I wonder if the Roller Team is a 6 berth which have been adapted for the hire market to make them seven. If so, then you might find a Rimor motorhome. If you are buying second hand, then you could ask a few rental firms to let you know when they are selling their 7 berths as you might be interested.

From time to time, support vehicles come available and may have 7 berths although not necessarily seat belts for seven - this are used by people who go racing for example.

Other people who have faced these issues sometimes use a car to provide the additional seatbelts, some use additional tents or awnings, and some give up and try camping or caravanning.

Having grown up in a larger than average family, I agree that 5 can be far easier than 3. Children look after themselves.

MarkRF - 2016-08-17 8:51 PM

My wife and I are on our first motorhome holiday and are enjoying it so much we are thinking about buying our first motorhome.

We have 5 kids and have rented a roller team 707 as this was one of the only 7 berth homes we could find.

We're aware of a few manufacturers who make pretty much identically size homes, but can't find any who make anything a bit bigger.

One of the problems is with the size of the beds. They are fine while the kids are young, but as they grow up I fear they will be quickly outgrown.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a 7 berth motorhome with 7 travelling seats that would suit a growing family?

Hi Mark,

Do you know how they seat 7 in 'Designated Travel Seats'? These are usually signified by a sticker showing a belted passenger. I have only ever seen 6 designated travel seats in a MH so am keen to find out how they seat 7.

Thanks.

Keith.

colin - 2016-08-18 1:55 PM

If you look a rollerteam website they show an extra seat behind driver.

Thanks Colin, the Auto-Roller 707. But note it has to be on 3,650 kg chassis for 7 seats. Even then with a quoted MIRO of 3,045 kg it could be very tight on payload with 7 on board!

http://www.rollerteammotorhomes.co.uk/motorhomes/auto-roller/707

Keith.

Keithl - 2016-08-18 2:11 PM

Thanks Colin, the Auto-Roller 707. But note it has to be on 3,650 kg chassis for 7 seats. Even then with a quoted MIRO of 3,045 kg it could be very tight on payload with 7 on board!

Keith.

As my first post, I'd put it on a weighbridge whilst it was in my possession, although op is looking for something bigger.

Strikes me it would be better on a maxi chassis.

Herdwick Willy - 2016-08-18 3:08 PM

Possibly a bit flipent, but give the wife the keys and have a quite time at home.Problem solved.

I like your style! I fear she wouldn't remain my wife for long if I tried that!

Keithl - 2016-08-18 2:11 PM

Keith.

Hi Keith,

Yes the 7th seat is on the rearward facing seat behind the driver. Part of the two seater dining area. And yes it's on the 3650 chassis, thanks for mentioning the payload. It's not an issue for me at the moment, but kids have a habit of getting bigger and needing more stuff.

Brock - 2016-08-18 10:28 AM

I wonder if the Roller Team is a 6 berth which have been adapted for the hire market to make them seven. If so, then you might find a Rimor motorhome. If you are buying second hand, then you could ask a few rental firms to let you know when they are selling their 7 berths as you might be interested.

From time to time, support vehicles come available and may have 7 berths although not necessarily seat belts for seven - this are used by people who go racing for example.

Other people who have faced these issues sometimes use a car to provide the additional seatbelts, some use additional tents or awnings, and some give up and try camping or caravanning.

Having grown up in a larger than average family, I agree that 5 can be far easier than 3. Children look after themselves.

Thank you for your suggestions, the motorhome we've rented is only a couple of years old and if it's typical of rental homes I'll be expecting a big discount on the sale price!

I'm thinking the tent or awning idea is one worth exploring. Is there a reason why you suggest a Rimor motorhome?

Rimor are an Italian firm. Italians build family motorhomes because the Italians tend to motorhome as one large family. Like Roller Team, Rimor builds no nonsense vans although as it has only just come back into the UK makes, I'm not sure on current build quality. Rimors do appear in hire fleets, occasionally as 7 berths although I don't know whether this also means 7 seatbelts.

I think the problem is going to be the 7 seat belts, and the fact that possibly some of the kids will need child/booster seats, which DO NOT fit securely onto the dinette seats, As has been said a tent could be used, but that would depend on the ages of the kids, unless Mum/Dad slept there!!

Will be interested to know what Mark decides to do. Please let us know the outcome Mark

PJay

Archived