You just can't get the staff these days..

Steve928

Just for a chuckle, how do you like the 'pair' of front discs that I received from an Ebay motor factor today?

Even as the Parcel Force driver handed them to me I could see that the two boxes were completely different sizes.

You have to laugh, else.... :-D

DISCS1.JPG.e3ed63851de0f7cc44aba8dafb327db4.JPG

DISCS2.JPG.6352e01259876f08f95a25aa49326e69.JPG

Personally, as I rarely need to buy brake components I would be much less interested in the price and much more interested in whether they were genuine parts made from materials that would last as long as the originals - and stop my 3.5 tonnes of pride and joy when applied in anger halfway down a twisty and steep Alpine pass?

No, not even the same diameter; one 280mm, one 300mm.

I'd agree with you, Tracker, with regard to pads in particular but personally I've never found any difference in performance between discs so long as you buy a reputable brand from a reputable (if somewhat careless) supplier. They can hardly be worse than the rusting, flaking, squealing lumps of pig iron that Sevel fitted anyway..

That said, extra money can buy you a 'coated' disc that resists rusting for longer; Pagid discs as fitted by Audi would be an example.

Rather than correct their error the seller has refunded me and said thet the discs need not be returned, which is strange behaviour. They still have them listed so should I buy another pair in the hope that one of those will be correct I wonder? Perhaps not.

Steve928 - 2016-08-19 6:55 AM

I'd agree with you, Tracker, with regard to pads in particular but personally I've never found any difference in performance between discs so long as you buy a reputable brand from a reputable (if somewhat careless) supplier. They can hardly be worse than the rusting, flaking, squealing lumps of pig iron that Sevel fitted anyway..

That said, extra money can buy you a 'coated' disc that resists rusting for longer; Pagid discs as fitted by Audi would be an example

Rather than correct their error the seller has refunded me and said thet the discs need not be returned, which is strange behaviour. They still have them listed so should I buy another pair in the hope that one of those will be correct I wonder? Perhaps not.

At the very least for me to be happy the two discs should be from the same source and batch to guarantee identical friction behaviour and I don't doubt that those nice shiny new discs will be just as big and rusting and flaking lumps of pig iron when they have had the same treatment for the same time as your originals!!

I'll take shortcuts and save money and bodge when I need to but never with brake and steering components. Maybe I am paranoid - but I have this silly thing about being able to steer and stop!!

The trouble is that (at least for Ducatos/Boxers) there is a variety of similar-specification brake discs being marketed at significantly different prices, as will be apparent from this example

http://www.micksgarage.com/search/brake%20discs/fiat/fiat%20ducato/ducato%20flatbed%20-%20chassis%202006%20onwards/2.3%20150%20d%20multijet/148

Assuming that none of these are ‘fakes’ knocked up in some Eastern back-street, there’s no way of knowing which discs would be best for longevity, resistance to warping and/or corrosion, etc.

Paying the most is no certain guide to performance. In the 1980s, to encourage my VW Golf GTi Mk 1’s front brakes to do something useful I decided to fit Mintex ‘road/competition’ brake pads. The first set arrived by post with the friction material having separated from the steel back-plate and the replacement set produced such appalling noise and vibration that I put the original pads back in. On my next (faster) Golf GTi Mk 1 I fitted Tarox grooved front discs and matching pads, but the car still sometimes caused me to seek divine help when braking hard from high speed. The car’s next owner chose to revert to the original discs/pads.

This advert is for ‘performance’ brake discs (apparently) suitable for earlier Ducatos

http://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/fiat/ducato-06-11/ducato-2-3-jtd-04-06-01-11.html

Whether they would be better (or worse) than the OE discs is anybody’s guess.

The plot thickens somewhat in that both boxes and both discs carry the same part number, although the obvious difference in box size should still have made the seller investigate further.

Both boxes state ADC1571V and an identical list of equivalent part numbers e.g. MDC1849.

Both discs have stampings on their outer surface; both are ADC1571V but followed by two completely different sets of dimensions.

So it appears that it's Messrs. Comline who've made the error.

By the way Tracker, brakes are Comline's core business, every disc comes out of the one factory and every single disc is dyno-tested. I don't feel that using their products is putting my safety at risk.

No, it was Eurocarparts who have an Ebay shop and also their own website. I've had very good service from them in the past and I'd regard them as reputable. It was a clearance item (end of brand or line) and they've given me a full refund so no major complaints. I've bought their clearance items before and they've always been great e.g. a full set of genuine sealed Girling brake pads with ALL the fittings; sliders, rubbers, caliper clips, bolts etc. for £8 delivered!

I will email Comline though as I'd like to know how 2 physically different parts can have the same part number - will let you know the outcome.

Steve928 - 2016-08-19 10:13 AM

By the way Tracker, brakes are Comline's core business, every disc comes out of the one factory and every single disc is dyno-tested. I don't feel that using their products is putting my safety at risk.

Sorry Steve, I should have said that my comments were aimed mainly at the inexperienced.

I assume that from the terminology you use that you have enough experience to know what you are doing and I too would trust Euro car parts - although not as much as I trust Peugeot for genuine original parts.

PS - It used to be Quinton Hazell back in my 'old days' of the original hot Cooper 'S' as I always found their parts pretty good!!

A reply from Comline, though not to much affect as they appear to have forgotten the bit where they say 'by way of recompence we're urgently sending you a shiny new pair of the correct discs FOC'. Ah well.

Thanks for your email and please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused by this error.

I have checked our stock and it’s all correct, though I would recommended the on line seller checks their stock too. This problem would appear to be a one off error at the factory. If possible please can you send images of the marking on the incorrect disc.

Archived