100 Best Aires

robertandjean

To balance some of the poor publicity aires seem to be getting in some quarters at the moment (see for example this months lettres in MMM), we have started a thread on the Motorhometoday web site asking everyone to nominate their three favourite aires.

Why not join in?

We are hoping for 100 by Christmas.

Sure you all Know loads of great ones you would like to share.

Robert and Jean

Fair point Brian.

So lets do one on here as well and see which gets to 100 first; But you will have to get going as already moving towards 30 on MHT!

To move it on here three from me:

1. Trigance (Var 83). Excellent setting, just outside old village with views to die for. 5 euros/night inc. electricity.

2. Vissan (Valcluse 84) On "Domain des Lauribert". Well signed from D976.

Nice setting, good services; no charge for parking, 1.5 Euros for hook-up. Owner very friendly, but clearly likes you to buy some wine!

3.Beaugency. Excellent overnight halt if heading north/south using N20/A20. No services but right on banks of Loire in pleasant town. No charge.

Right over to you Brian for your three.

Robert and Jean

I see its here as well ;-)

I did post 3 on the other forum, Honfleur and Le Touquet already mentioned we have used both.

1. Aubusson D'Auvergne (Dept 63) Puy-DE-Dome, 19km SE Thiers. Open all year Base de loisirs-lac d'Aubusson. 5€ night.

2. Gastes (Dept 40) Landes

open 15/3 to 15/11 6.50€ nr Parentis-en-Born on route to Mimizan D652.

Cycle path to Parentis, small port, relaxing place, parking on grass.

3. Stenay (Dept 55) Meuse. By Port de Plaisance D947. Walkable to town.

here you go

1- Dieppe - on the harbour - 7 euros? for 24 hrs

2 - Hede - next to the canal - electric and water on pitch - just over 4euros a night. on D975 - Combourg to Hede road

3 - Gravelines (Rue de Port) - on the marina - no services - free.

Carol

hede.jpg.c72f57e4b97918bffa4e6b5ec792d356.jpg

Stenay, already mentioned is our favourite. Next :

1. Charmes, Moselle. €6 night includes hook up. Showers on site extra.

Grass and hardstanding on waterside. Town adjacent.

2. Arques (St Omer). €2 night on hardstanding overlooking lake. Showers

at adjacent camping. 15 minutes walk to town.

3. Concarneau (Brittany) Free on hardstanding. Payable bourne for water

etc. Nice seaside town within easy walk.

Roy.

Mel,

Not sure why you think bad form to promote aires on two websites. I have no connection with Motorhometoday site other than posting as on here. Main thing is that we try to build up as larger list of "good" aires as we can, so all can enjoy motorhoming as it should be.

Thanks for your contribution, Arromanches is well situated, but can be very busy in summer. Last July both aire and adjacent site full to overflowing! But found space at Colleville-Montgomery. This is not directly on coast but well set out with hedged pitches, and a short walk from town. 3 euros per night inc. services (There that's another added to the list!)

All the best

Robert and Jean.

robertandjean - 2006-12-01 3:50 PM Fair point Brian. So lets do one on here as well and see which gets to 100 first; But you will have to get going as already moving towards 30 on MHT! To move it on here three from me: 1. Trigance (Var 83). Excellent setting, just outside old village with views to die for. 5 euros/night inc. electricity. 2. Vissan (Valcluse 84) On "Domain des Lauribert". Well signed from D976. Nice setting, good services; no charge for parking, 1.5 Euros for hook-up. Owner very friendly, but clearly likes you to buy some wine! 3.Beaugency. Excellent overnight halt if heading north/south using N20/A20. No services but right on banks of Loire in pleasant town. No charge. Right over to you Brian for your three. Robert and Jean

Please don't misunderstand me, I think the idea is great.  I tried to start a similar thread some time back, which become incorporated into "Sites Speak".  This one is working better so far.  The problem with mine was it got "invaded" by a load of off topic chat before it got off the ground, and seems really to have fizzled.  My plea was, and remains, for some basic posting rules, to tell others whether aires or sites mentioned have, for example, decent shops within walking distance, whether they are just a "van park", or have water and waste drainage, and if they are attractive.  Other details can then be looked up in the various guides.

Oh and where are my 3?  Well, I tend to use sites, not aires.  If you want to include sites, I'll gladly add a few.

Soem we will revisit ....

1. Fontaines des Vaucluse in Provence for a peaceful stop by the river with loads of space for picnicing etc in a highly popular beauty spot. Restaurants easy walk away 3Euros

2. Palavas Les Flots - near Montepelier - very well orgainsed with electrcity on the side of the Marina - easy walks into town for restaurants and beaches - 10 Euros I think

3. Lac d'Aydat - Puy de Dome in the Auvergne - set out like a campsite, may have electricty, I can't remeber - a spectaculalry beautiful beautiful place - 6 Euros I think.

Spellings from memory.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I would also like to add my thanks to all those that have submitted their favourites, whilst sorting them into a logical order (by Dept No.) and adding other info such as size,open all year,price etc.I have been amazed at how really wonderful they are. I have been a frequent visitor to France and used the Aires network on every visit, but was blown away by the sheer quality of these places. It is so dificult to get an idea of a location from just reading the Aires books although even with my limited French http://www.campingcar-infos.com does help. I would also like to thank robertandjean for starting the thread both here and www.motorhometoday , it makes a nice change to read positives about using Aires / stellplatz/ sostas

There is a well maintained and growing database already very active on motorhomefacts.com

There are [1222] Campsites/Aires/Wild Camping Spots in the DataBase

Aires[220]::Sostas[24]::Municipals[100]::Independent[361]::CCC[23]::CC[28]

CL's[48]::CS's[19]::Stellplatz[146]::Parking[70]::Wild Spots[157]

gillian107 - 2007-01-13 5:01 PM

There is a well maintained and growing database already very active on motorhomefacts.com

That may well be true but I'm told some people find it rather dificult to navigate. Do you have to pay to access this info?.

fjmike - 2007-01-13 6:44 PM

That may well be true but I'm told some people find it rather dificult to navigate. Do you have to pay to access this info?.

In my post I wasn't trying to denigrate any other site, even subtly but simply to inform anyone interested that there was a uk website with a database already up and running. As in the spirit of the opening post.

Incidentally there is a large collection of photos of aires on the site too.

To balance some of the poor publicity aires seem to be getting in some quarters at the moment (see for example this months lettres in MMM), we have started a thread on the Motorhometoday web site asking everyone to nominate their three favourite aires.

Why not join in?

We are hoping for 100 by Christmas.

I am sorry if it seemed that I was knocking your post, all I was trying to do was establish if you had to pay to access the aires info and if the database was easy to use or not. I think if anyone wants to access free aires info a visit to http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm is probably the best place to start. But I thought that the idea behind this post was for peoples personal recomendations

fjmike - 2007-01-14 2:19 PM

I am sorry if it seemed that I was knocking your post, all I was trying to do was establish if you had to pay to access the aires info and if the database was easy to use or not. I think if anyone wants to access free aires info a visit to http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm is probably the best place to start. But I thought that the idea behind this post was for peoples personal recomendations

fjmike - any opportunity to knock MHF, and advertise your own site, eh? Let's keep the information flowing & stop sniping please?

For your info as far as I can see, access to the sites / aires database on MHF is free to all members. You go through the main menu, click on the france map, then the region, sites are listed with photos. What's difficult? Would agree that campingcarinfos is an easy access to aires.

some of my favourites:-

Boyardville - Ile D'oleron

Cognac - by the river

Honfleur

we used to love St Valery en caux, but they've restricted motorhome access to the other parts of the town and the aire which used to resemble a sardine can now has 'vans  practically on top of each other last time we passed through [ about 2004]  

Archived