Pets on Ferries to Spain

StuartO

Not tried Spain and fancy going by ferry next Spring, how do the pet-friendly cabins and kennel services work?

What's in a pet friendly cabin for the pet?  Where do you take the pet for a pee/No2?  Kennels are said to be accessible and you can walk your dog, so is that going to work well enough anyway?  Are premium cabins worth paying for?

Is there any difference between arriving at Bilbao versus Santander?

A pet friendly cabin has a lino floor and sometimes a collapsable bowl, treats and a toy. There is a special deck where, on Pont Aven, there is a place to let the dogs free complete with hose to slosh pee overboard and bags and bins for poo, also picnic table with access to the bar if you want to sit with your dogs. The plymouth one has a much smaller space but sufficient. Some dogs just refuse to go while on board.

I've never tried a premium cabin, only outside ones come pet friendly.

Bilboa is a bit more difficult to navigate out of, read we get lost every time! It's a big city with a lot of ever changing one way systems. Santander is easy and nicer scenery to begin your journey.

Guest pelmetman

We've booked a return trip back to Spain for the Christmas fortnight, luckily we got tipped off on here about the advance registration, as I suspect they're already fully booked for this Christmas :-S ......

Not cheap at nigh on a grand for the tickets, but the other option would take us away from the sun for a month 8-) ..........

One thing I've read in the blurb is that dogs should wear muzzles.......Is this what happens in practice? :-S ......

Guest pelmetman
starvin marvin - 2016-08-20 2:50 PM

pelmetman - 2016-08-20 1:34 PM

Not cheap at nigh on a grand for the tickets, but the other option would take us away from the sun for a month 8-)

I don't understand? I thought you were all for the skinflint route.....and why would it take you a month?

A week to the tunnel, two weeks UK and a week back to Spain.......200 miles a day is comfortable, 250 at a push ;-) .......

We're only coming back because the MIL is 91 and I seem to have been nominated Turkey chef :D .....

Dog friendly cabins do come up, but you need to keep checking the availability. Brittany will not have a standby list, and when a d-f cabin becomes available it can be rebooked. Our pampered pet gets seriously stressed in kennels, so the d-f cabins work well for us.

Definitely worth joining the club voyage if you intend to cross regularly, and get the 30% discount.

Thanks for your help folks.  I have booked a crossing to Bilbao for September 2017 and even then all the pet-friendly cabins were sold out!  I tried several earlier and later ferries but they were all gone - so the mutt is in a kennel but we get a posh cabin.

Presumably I am allowed to keep trying and if a pet-friendly cabin becomes available I will be able to switch.

Does anyone know if they allow you to plug the MH into 230 volts order to run the fridge during the voyage?

We have used the route to Spain several times with a dog, the kennels are on the very top deck, they are warm and very clean mostly stainless steel. Dogs can be walked on the top deck a bit on the windy side though. Our dog was fine in the kennels and the whole journey.

As for the Fridge we froze a 2ltr bottle of milk as well as a large plastic bottle of water when we arrived in Spain both bottles were still frozen as was food in the freezer.

StuartO - 2016-08-20 6:55 PM

>Presumably I am allowed to keep trying and if a pet-friendly cabin becomes available I will be able to switch

Yes, like you , people do book well in advance, then have to change their plans. We haven't failed yet to get a cabin at relatively short notice, but obviously, your travel dates need to be flexible as well.

As an aside, as I write here in "sunny" Spain, its absolutely poring down!!

Another question please, and i appreciate they will tell me when we arrive at the Ferry Port but it would be nice to know ahead of the game, how does the on-board check-in into kennels work?

You leave the MH parked on the car deck, taking the muzzled dog with you, then what?  You aren't supposed to take it into the passenger areas - so how do you get your access key code (or whatever it is) to access the kennels area? (We're booked on to Cap Finistere by the way.)

Your dog stays in the vehicle, you then go to your cabin, and wait to be called to report to the reception area, and a member of staff will take owners to the vehicle for the dog, and then kennel or cabin. Passports for all passengers, and dogs are checked when you drive to the port, and from Spain the are quite thorougher, and arriving in UK, they are not bothered.

Incidentally, there is very cheap fuel on the quay at Bilbao, and it is well worth filling up there when you arrive or leave Spain for UK.

They give you the kennel keycard with your cabin card when you check in. You go to your room and 15-30 mins later you hear an announcement asking you to go to your car and collect your pet. A steward operates the lift and some check for the muzzle, others don't. I guess if your dog isn't predictable with people or other dogs you put the muzzle on anyway.

They give you the kennel keycard with your cabin card when you check in. You go to your room and 15-30 mins later you hear an announcement asking you to go to your car and collect your pet. A steward operates the lift and some check for the muzzle, others don't. I guess if your dog isn't predictable with people or other dogs you put the muzzle on anyway.

flyboyprowler - 2016-08-21 6:39 PMAs far as I know, the muzzle has to be on between car and kennel. As another has said, the rule is not enforced regularly, but if the dog was large or aggressive, then the muzzle would probably be enforced.

That sounds sensible, we'll expect to put the muzzle on in transit from the MH to the kennel and perhaps also when we're exercising her.  At other times I thought I might try it on the OH.

Archived