Motorhome Awnings - advice please?

Aswell

Hi, we are in the process of taking one or more grandchildren (and others?) away with us in our Motorhome. We are thinking of looking at buying a (drive away?) awning to accommodate us when we eat and possibly for one or more persons to sleep in.

What advice does the forum member have on such matters?

Many thanks, Brian

We have a Vango Kela.

It is useful when our grandchildren and their parents come to visit us.

It is quite easy to erect (it is an air frame awning) and it comes with an inner tent.

However, it does have some issues, the main one being that the connecting "tunnel" can be noisey if there is even a slight breeze, as it flaps about.

I am now contemplating buying a safari room. These are quite expensive for what they are, but, they are more rigid and provide much more space.

You cannot however drive away from these. For us that is not an issue, as, we tow a small car behind us.

I will probably sell the drive away one at some point in time.

For those like cleddytanhouse above who intend to stay in one place and would like a large, strong, stable awning my friend had a caravan awning rail fixed to the side of his coachbuilt IH J500 following the lines of the roof and sides. It was fitted by an English chap on the site at Calpe in southern Spain last year where there were numerous vans fitted so. He apparently does it for a living but spends six months in Spain doing it - and, I have to say, made an excellent job of it too. Not cheap but in my opinion a far better job than any safari room add on I have seen.

It does mean, however, that you are rooted to the spot while it is deployed (but my friend also tows a car) and you should be thinking of keeping the van for some time as it will not come without damaging the rail or the van side possibly.

He did have a website address but I didn't make a note of it but if anyone is interested then I will contact my friend and try to post details.

David

Guest pelmetman
Aswell - 2016-08-20 2:49 PM

Hi, we are in the process of taking one or more grandchildren (and others?) away with us in our Motorhome. We are thinking of looking at buying a (drive away?) awning to accommodate us when we eat and possibly for one or more persons to sleep in.

What advice does the forum member have on such matters?

Many thanks, Brian

Presuming you wont have another vehicle with you?......and with grandkids I suspect you'll need to take them out and about on a regular basis?.......then your only real option would be the drive away ;-) ....

We have recently treated ourselves to a replacement for our well worn Sun Camp, its a Ventura by Isabella who are considered to be the top awning makers when it comes to quality.

The Ventura is a traditional style awning, but has the advantage of that you can add a sleeping extension to it ;-) .........

http://www.ventura-camping.com/uk/accessories/annexes/details/annex-220

We got our awning of ebay for £188 .....they usually retail at over £700 :D ......

Another advantage of the traditional style drive away awning, is that it can be used as a stand alone tent, which is advantageous when in a windy situation, as there's nothing worse than the flapping of the awning at 3am *-) .......

PS just to add Safari rooms + UK climate = condensation (!) .........

Hi. I forgot to mention that I do tow a small car, so, I don't really need a drive away awning now. I bought the drive away awning before deciding to buy a small car.

I suspect that trying to realign to the awning after a day out will not be too easy and it would definitely mean that the connection tunnel would have some slack and then flap about in the wind.

One other issue to consider for your awning, is the height of your MH.

Even though I have the tall version of the Vango Kela, my Autotrail door only just opens and it catches on the tunnel roof quite badly.

We have a FIAMMA wind out awning on our current Peugeot Boxer but we bought our stand alone kitchen tent when we had a Renault Trafic which had a roll out awning fitted.We purchased a quick release device but was not successful to be able to align up when you came up. Ithought of many ideas to get round the problem of being able to tension the flap to the vehicle/awning.

If you have a FIAMMA wind out there is a slot which will take the quick release material and with the figure of eight rods which slot onto the awning flap of your annexe/kitchen tent and with reasonable alignment when you come back to the site you can tension the flap by winding in on the motorhome awning. Simple. Phew!

Archived