New to Motorhomes..Chausson Flash 08 2006

frank shepherd

Hi to all and any experienced and like us, novice, motorhome owners... We have just put a deposit in a previously owned Flash 08.It's a 2~8 JTD 2006 model. My partner and I spent many hours looking, visiting and evaluating different models & dealers before making our choice. I probably will visit this forum many times as Beverley my partner, has asked me to become involved with learning from others..perfectly happy to do this... My first question is this....using the sockets in the kitchen area, will I be able to plug in a microwave(small) or a mini oven as there is only the eye level grill and 3 burner hob...without any other mods to the standard now...? I understand it's fitted with 95ah leisure battery,.....Help and advice please. :-)

Welcome. If you are on electric hookup, then no problem. But a microwave or small electric oven working on battery will need a considerably large inverter or (wash my mouth out) a generator. If you are intending going into Europe then you need to be aware of the lower amps available on some sites. We tend to use a low watt slow cooker when on hookup, suitable for casseroles, chicken etc. A lot of people also use the Remoska, not sure what wattage this is but you can look it up on the Lakeland website or there is a cheaper version online.

Many thanks for your prompt response... I figured it might be okay whilst on hook up and thanks for the info about when abroad...I doubt if I will want to use it unless hooked up as wild camping isn't the main intention, I'll be happy to book on legit site.... another query now is... I believe a solar panel may help and may facilitate the use of the plugs whilst not hooked up...or is it just to replace the on board 12v system and lower the discharge time of the leisure battery ..? *-)

Your assumption is correct but some people would advocate a solar panel whilst others would choose to upgrade the battery power. We do have a solar panel but it was part of the deal when we bought our van. We do go 'off-grid' sometimes and we charge 12v items whilst travelling but we have had no problem with not having enough battery power. A Friend of ours has 2 batteries in parallel and no solar panel and he always wild camps in the UK only occasionally using a site for 1 night and he doesn't have any problems because he is travelling a lot.

this sounds sensible...presumably I could ask my dealer, who seems very amiable, to fit another battery as you suggest? I think he has already mentioned to my partner that this is an option ...This would then give more flexibility to 'go wild' even if by non planned events occurring?

I will look at this as it seems a viable and economical option...thanks again

Solar panels are a must IMO and extra batteries too, but be aware that anything you fit extra to the vehicle and anything you carry adds to the weight of your vehicle and eats into it's payload which must NOT exceed it's plated weight .
and all loads should be distributed around the van properly so you do not exceed the maximum axle weights shown on the rating plate.

If the OP is considering adding an additional leisure battery he needs to know the age of the existing battery.

An old battery will bring down a new battery to the same level of efficiency (capacity) as the existing one. It's generally not recommended to mix age of batteries or type of battery ie. Gel/wet acid. Suggest the OP avoids AGM batteries as the charging regime will not be compatible for a 2006 van.

Since it's unlikely that a secondhand van will have just had a new leisure battery fitted, the OP should consider fitting 2 new leisure batteries as a belt and braces solution.

Whether you need extra batteries or solar panels will depend on how you use van.

If you intend to mainly use sites with EHU and only the odd night not on power, then you probably don't need any extra power, but if you start using sites with no power and then maybe not moving for a few days you will probably need either solar and/or extra battery.

As an example, we rarely use EHU, we have 85AH battery and 85w solar, we had a 5 day long weekend last week and van served as static base for 5 of us (plus tent), electrics served up TV, lights and phone charging, gas for cooking, didn't once bother to check battery state, everything just worked as it should do.

Frank,

As you are in your own words a novice my suggestion would be to do nothing until you have actually used the MH for a few nights away!

If you suggest you are mainly going to use 'commercial sites' then you will probably not need to go to the expense and potential trouble of fitting extra batteries and solar panels. We have used our MH for over 8 years with one 90 Ah battery and no solar panel and find it more than adequate for our needs. For example we just spent 3 nights at the Malvern show without hookup and our battery lasted fine.

Keith.

Edit to add: It looks like Colin and I are both singing off the same hymn sheet!

So grateful for even the few replies we have had already. With the excitement & anticipation of this project, it is easy to make spontaneous decisions later to regret! Least I expect others have done that? I have just retired & have spent many years having to concern myself with work etc. Now need to get my everyday sensible hat back out the cupboard and use it when concerning the MH..

I am putting my reserved trust in the dealer and yes I think we will take delivery as suggested, use initially for several trial shortish trips and "suck it and see" ....so to speak...

Keeping in touch..thanks

Archived