Outer Hebrides

robin

Anyone 'done' this in a MH? We are thinking of a trip next May, taking one of the CalMac Island hopper deals. I think May is a good compromise to avoid midges

I know that there is official wild camping on Barra - but what about this and sites and facilities on the other isles (The Uists, Lewis, Harris?).

Cheers

Robin

There are sites on Stornoway, Isle of Lewis and on Benbecula between the Uists. Apart from them there is plenty of wild camping available. Ferry terminals usually have toilets and water available and there is a disposal point available in the Uists check for location with Tourist Info Office http://www.visitscotland.org/.

May can be a perfect month to visit these beautifu islands with their incredible beaches and friendly locals. Outside of Stornoway the shops are few but there is a good network of Coop stores who should be able to supply all your needs. If you have any more specific enquiries PM me.

Good luck

Docted

yes we did the hebrides earlier this year. Below is our itinery which I had previuosly posted on another site. It's quite long but hopefully helpful.

We got the Calmac Hopscotch 8 ticket http://www.calmac.co.uk/hopscotch_route8

Also send for their brochure its quite useful, as is this web site and brochure

http://www.visithebrides.com

This leaflet details toilets/showers/Chemical disposals.

http://www.cne-siar.gov.uk/hebrides/docume...anLeaflet06.pdf

Our trip was as follows

Oban - stayed at Oban Divers Campsite. Good Tesco's also has Petrol and cash points, no height barriers. Stock up as there is not much on the islands and Petrol is about 12p a litre more expensive.

Barra/Vatasay official wildcamping spots by the airport, large grassy area with litter bins only (don't expect to be alone), toilets and CDP 1mile up the road at Eolaigearraidh. Also cafe and toilets at the airport and ferry terminal (ardmhor) when open.

Not exactly sure where the place is on Vatasay, but the tourist info will be open when you get off the ferry 8pm ish and are very helpful if you email.

Eriskay - we didn't camp here, it's very small, but there was parking at the ferry and toilets and shower £1 a go, very good as well.

South Uist we drove up the west coast road (B888) and drove down to a site marked as parking and picnic area, its quite small but there were 5 of us here for the night. Had also been told about an area near a cemetry a few miles further north (it's shown on OS map) by a couple cycling with a tent, but there was no-one there and it was a bit open. Toilet and showers at Lochboisdale open during day, but disabled toilet seems to be open 24hr, also shop and tourist info here as well.

Orisay inn, signed on the right just before the causeway off to Benbecula was recommended to us for a meal and we were not disappointed.

Benbecula, we stayed at Shell Bay campsite, not the prettiest but with good facilities including laundry.

http://www.scottishcampingguide.com/link.php?n=40&c=22

There is a shop and petrol station by the airport at Balivanich, stock up, we didn't and got a bit low on petrol and knowhere is open on a sunday.

North Uist, we had to travel north to just passed Sollas, we followed a picnic area sign at Grenitote and found a small area, which we had to ourselves, apart from a young boy driving round the beach, there was also a small cesna parked on the beach. We had also passed a sign for picnic area on the west coast at Hosta, but the gates were closed so we drove on, but I think its OK to just open them and drive through. We also passed a camper parked up on some grass a short way into the C road across the island. Toilet and petrol at Lochmaddy.

Berneray, we had heard you could only park at the hostel, but found plenty parked on the area next to it and believe you can park at the picnic area at Borve, tap and toilet at the community centre here. Toilets, water and CDP at the ferry port, and toilets and showers at the harbour on the road to Baille.

South Harris - large area at Horgabost on the west coast, OS map shows toilets here but they had either blown down or been demolished when we were there.

North Harris - We stayed at the hostel at Rhenigidale in order to use showers, cost £4.50 each, basically just parked up outside. Very small grassy tent area also.

Camp sites at Cnip (kneep) in Uig area, we didn't stay but there are public toilets and a separate building with a sign saying for paying campsite users and a CDP behind. There was know one around to enquire about payment.

Another picnic spot at Ardroil overlooked large beach, with a sign saying camping by prior arrangement call at No.6. £1 per person per night. We didn't stay here as it was too early to settle for the night, but a couple of vans looked like they where going to stay.

Great Bernera - we went to the iron age house at the northern point which was closed, only open 12-4pm. We could have stayed in the carpark as there was no-one around and were toilets.

Lewis - the largest part with a few campsites , on the west coast at Shawbost, small site, small pitches with electric. we drove on to Butt of Lewis lighthouse and found another campervan so stayed, however a lot of cars came to walk dogs and watch birds and in the morning 2 coaches pulled up next to us, fortunately we were dressed and having breakfast !!

On the east side are two camp sites, Laxdale, very neat with good facilities but the motorhome/caravan area is bit like a carpark, tent area was nice, also a bunkhouse, very convenient for stornaway, we also saw one at Coll on the B895, this was quite basic, didn't look like much in the way of facilities so we booked Laxdale, later learned if we'd carried on to Tolsa head we could have stayed overnight and it was lovely.

Ullapool - campsite right on the beach, you'll see it from the ferry, but we drove 3 miles north to Ardmair point camp site and it was lovely.

All in all a very good trip and found places to stay easily, this was our first time wild camping. Ferry over from Oban a bit rough (I was sea sick) so get some tablets if you don't have sailing legs. We booked this crossing when we got the hopscotch ticket and booked Stornaway to Ullapool the day before we sailed. Not many places stocked small(4.5kg) butane cylinders and ours ran out, got some at the coal yard just outside Tarbert, the man at the hardware store directed us. Very little is open on a sunday.

There only seem to be CDP's at the campsites in Harris/Lewis, unlike the more southerly islands which seem to cater for wildcamping as there are no commercial campsites.

Jules

Jules has covered most of it, I would add 10years ago when camping at shielebost (horgabost?) on haris overlooking tarasay nearest toilets where about 6 miles away at leverburgh. We went in august which is unusaul month for us to holiday but it was not very busy.

Seeing Jules mention Eriskay can I tell everyone that the Eriskay Pony is very rare. Worth a trip to try to see them. They are on the "critical" list of the Rare Breeds Survival Trust. Wonderful friendly ponies that deserve all the efforts being made to save them. There is an Eriskay Pony Society website if anyone wants more info.

The island is on my list of places that must be visited.

Pat

An excellent post by Jules, I've printed it for future use, at the risk of stateing the bleedin obvious, anybody thinking about an island tour please remember the amount of single track road which can be very narrow very twisty and very taxing on the driver, even the most experienced can find the constant worry of meeting a vehicle coming the other way with a half mile reverse the only option, can take the shine off the most glorious location. Been there done that, it hurt.

In addition to "oorgiz" pleawe remeber when in remote areas and roads are only single track people do live in these areas and keep an eye to the rear to ensure that people not on holiday can get about their daily business with as little delay as possible. The car behind may be the local doctor on a call out.

Docted

Oorgiz & Docted,

Your comments about single track roads are valid for many areas of the UK, and I just wish that more time was spent on reversing in the Driving Test as the number of people who expect the 56 seater school bus to reverse for miles is not uncommon, just because they didn't expect to meet it and can't reverse themselves.

David

As someone who has toured the Outer Hebrides in a motorcaravan I can assure fellow motorcaravanners wishing to visit there that there is nothing to worry about those narrow single track roads - there are passing places every few hundred yards!

The Outer Hebrides is a motorcaravanners' paradise and the only area in the UK where we are welcome. See letters from Donald MacClean (Chair of Bernaray District Community) in MMM.

John Lewis

• 1 month later...

It looks like they pumped Berneray for FREE for years and now they are cashing in on its popularity.

Don't know if you have saw this site http://www.campberneray.co.uk/ looks like they are going to start charging to stay in camper vans and caravans overnight.

Its a shame because we where heading that way in four vans for the whole of July because it was free. :'(

We are now heading to Lewis.

Guest starspirit

I went there in May 2005 for a month and loved the freedom, quiet roads, lack of 'no overnight parking' signs, courteous locals and wonderful beaches.

It did snow one night mind you and the midges where unable to fly the whole month due to strong winds.

Just be polite, don't park where you will obstruct access, or any house owners views and let the locals pass as soon as possible because they do live there and may well be working.

I will go again soon but Berneray is a bit dubious right now.

I have been unable to get on campberneray tonight so the following comments are based on what I saw last time.

Who are 'they' that are trying to charge? there is a section for land owners to register an interest in charging, last I looked thier where no takers, seems to me one or two people trying to cash in posibly not most of population, guess we'll have to wait till some one visits this summer to find out.

• 2 months later...
Guest Franny

We contacted the site owner directly and the message we got was not to come to Berneray to stay over night unless you are prepared to pay for it.

Seems that they are cashing in on the previous years that were free?? We cannot afford that amount per week never mind every night, that is one of the main reasons we went to Berneray as it was free. We stayed for six weeks at a time. What now ?

Fed up camper.

Once again I have looked at website and no landowners are offering at £15 per night, but if thats what they wish to charge its up to them, you cannot expect to use other peoples land as you wish for no charge if they don't want you to, but its going to be pretty quite there this year I reacon

Archived