Diesel fuelled Hobs and Cookers

bobalobs

In this months C&CC club magazine there is a review of a VW fitted with a diesel fuelled combined hob and heater. With talk of gas being banned in vans in the future I have looked in the past to the possibility of diesel cooking and was always told that the hobs took a long time to get up to temperature and ages to cool down whilst you melted in the van.. Is this still the case?

Colin

If you re-read my posting in that thread that you’ve based your diesel-hob-related statement on you’ll see that my posting begins (I’ve ‘boldened’ the significant words.)

"EVIDENTLY (as far as the UK is concerned) there are minimum criteria that should be met for a vehicle to be categorised as a “motor caravan”. The current THINKING is summarised as follows:”

I stole the subsequent list from here

http://www.campervanlife.com/building/legal

I don’t know if it’s actually a UK legal requirement that a motor caravan’s cooking facilities MUST comprise only a gas and/or electric hob/oven, or a microwave oven, and diesel-fuelled cooking equipment would thus be legally inacceptable, but I very much doubt that’s the case.

A GOOGLE-search on “motorhome diesel cooking” retrieves the following

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=motorhome+diesel+cooking

We have a Wallas diesel ceramic hob on our boat, this can be fitted with a blower lid to convert to a blown air heater.

It does take time to heat up and quite a long time to cool down but, it is very safe and works well.

Diesel ovens are also available.

colin - 2016-08-23 9:09 AM

I read your post and looked it up on .gov, there is a pdf with the requirements.

It may be that there is some leeway, but the post you made was ultimately a cut and paste from the .gov site

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/522756/converting-a-vehicle-into-a-motorhome.pdf

The link you’ve provided includes the following requirements definition:

"Cooking facilities

• That are an integral part of the vehicle living accommodation and is mounted independently of other items.

• That are secured to the vehicle floor and /or side wall.

• Secured as a permanent feature, (bolted, riveted, screwed, or welded.

• The cooking facility must consist of a minimum of a two ring cooking facility or a microwave in

either case having a fuel/power source.

• If the cooking facility is fuelled by gas having a remote fuel supply, the fuel supply pipe must be

permanently secured to the vehicle structure.

• If the cooking facility is fuelled by gas having a remote fuel supply, the fuel reservoir must be

secured in a storage cupboard or the reservoir secured to the vehicle structure.”

The fuel/power source is not specifically defined, so it could be gas, electricity or something else.

It was a few years ago and with Brexit may no longer be relevant . I read an article that Germany was considering excluding gas from Campers for safety reasons and I was looking into the alternatives for those of us that do not always use hook-ups.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-08-23 9:27 AM

The fuel/power source is not specifically defined, so it could be gas, electricity or something else.

..further up the linked document, under "minimum requirements" there is the wording:

........ a permanently fixed cooking facility within the vehicle, powered by gas or electricity

(my underlining)

Derek Uzzell - 2016-08-23 9:27 AM

colin - 2016-08-23 9:09 AM

I read your post and looked it up on .gov, there is a pdf with the requirements.

It may be that there is some leeway, but the post you made was ultimately a cut and paste from the .gov site

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/522756/converting-a-vehicle-into-a-motorhome.pdf

The link you’ve provided includes the following requirements definition:

"Cooking facilities

• That are an integral part of the vehicle living accommodation and is mounted independently of other items.

• That are secured to the vehicle floor and /or side wall.

• Secured as a permanent feature, (bolted, riveted, screwed, or welded.

• The cooking facility must consist of a minimum of a two ring cooking facility or a microwave in

either case having a fuel/power source.

• If the cooking facility is fuelled by gas having a remote fuel supply, the fuel supply pipe must be

permanently secured to the vehicle structure.

• If the cooking facility is fuelled by gas having a remote fuel supply, the fuel reservoir must be

secured in a storage cupboard or the reservoir secured to the vehicle structure.”

As robin points out, that is on page 4, but page 2 states this.

Minimum features

In order for a converted vehicle to qualify as a motor caravan it must have certain minimum features, as

follows:

? a door that provides access to the living accommodation

? a bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet. This can be converted from seats used

for other purposes during the day but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle

? a water storage tank or container on, or in, the vehicle

? a seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle. The table may be detachable but

must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It is not good enough to have a

loose table

? a permanently fixed means of storage, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe

? a permanently fixed cooking facility within the vehicle, powered by gas or electricity

? at least one window on the side of the accommodation

But it is not unknown for .gov to be wrong.

bobalobs - 2016-08-23 10:36 AM

It was a few years ago and with Brexit may no longer be relevant . I read an article that Germany was considering excluding gas from Campers for safety reasons and I was looking into the alternatives for those of us that do not always use hook-ups.

Ahhh ! A European Union safety initiative, say no more ! Not our problem any more, thank goodness.And as we sell very,very few campers or motorhomes into the EU not likely to be a must for our makers.

Although i had only good experiences of Eberspacher diesel fired heating and hot water supply.But wouldnt want to forced to use diesel only and for cooking as well. Will never happen.

Archived