Engine oil consumption high

Hobby54

Hi I have a 2010 Autoquest with a 2.2 engine that seems to use a lot of oil Only done 23000 ,there is

No sign of any leaks or smoke from exhaust or lack of power,looking at the manual it says Max 1200

Miles per litre mine does less than that.

Any Advise Helpful

Hobby54

It won't be a Fiat engine at 2.2 litres.

I can only comment on the 2.3 Fiat Euro 5 engines. Many of ours have been using much more oil than the earlier Euro 4's but we have noticed that the latest Euro 5's since the facelift in 2014 are much better.

I've had two of the 2.2L Pumas and neither have used any measurable amount of oil once run in. The current Euro5 130bhp one used 400ml in the first couple of thousand miles but then settled down to using none.

The known problem with this engine up to about 2011 is over-fuelling which can wash the oil off the bores causing bore and piston ring wear and even hole the piston crowns, but if you were suffering from that kind of wear then you should be able to see the oil being burnt as smoke I'd have thought.

Roughly how much is it using?

Have you had the vehicle from new and has it always used a lot oil, or has it increased recently? 23000 miles seems low for turbo problems unless the engine (and turbo) have not been allowed to tick over to cool down for at least 2 minutes when the engine is hot from high speed on the motorway or climbing a mountain pass. If you have only recently acquired the vehicle then you might not know how the previous owners drove it.

Had vehicle from 3 years old had done 16000 was from dealer and service upto date did use more oil

Than I was used to but not as much will only do 1000 miles to 750 ml had a garage check it out said

No problem with turbo but that was a year ago engine runs great and fuel consumption around 30mpg

It's just the oil problem

It’s stating the obvious but - when the oil-level is checked - is the vehicle always level and the motor cold? I’ve known people check the oil-level of a hot engine (when a good deal of oil has yet to drain back into the sump), believe that the level is too low and top it up, which just results in over-filling.

Having to put a litre of oil in every 750-1000 miles (which I assume is what you are doing) is unusual for a modern motor, but if you are using the correct specification of oil (refer to your handbook) and there’s no sign of an oil leak, smoking or odd performance symptoms, and the present oil-consumption rate does not worsen, you may have to accept this as a characteristic of your particular motor.

One of the characteristics of my engine is if I fill it to maximum then it burns off oil over about 1000 miles and settles about 2/3rd's between low and high marks. This is now the level I attempt t refill to when doing an oil change.

This is actually a characteristic of many engines so suggest you do not fill full, but see if level continues to drop or settles and if it does settle you have found your refill or top up level.

Thanks for your ideas guys

Yes do check oil on level ground and when cold ,but have noticed on dipstick that one side can be

Reading a lot lower than the other I use the marked side to get oil level,and this seems to match up

with the read out on the dash ie The 5 zeros which move too dashes has oil level drops.

As anybody got any more info on this fault of over fuelling problem that the 2010 engines had like mine

The advice in the Fiat handbook that relates to Ducato models fitted with the same 2.2litre motor as your Boxer has is as follows:

"Check the oil level a few minutes (about 5) after the engine has stopped, with the vehicle parked on level ground.

The oil level should be between the MIN and MAX marks on the dipstick.

The range between the MIN and MAX marks corresponds to about 1 litre of oil.

If the oil level is near or under the MIN line, add oil through the filler to reach the MAX line.

The oil level should never exceed the MAX line.”

The ‘over-fuelling’ problem with Ford Transit 2.2litre TDCI motors is touched on here

http://engineengineering.co.uk/start/reconditioned-engines-rebuilt:298/ford-reconditioned-engines:330/ford-duratorq-22l-tdci:1053/

It’s also mentioned in this 2013 forum discussion about a catastrophic failure of 2.2litre motor in a Ducato

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Blown-Engine-in-France/32881/

Hobby54 - 2016-08-24 11:50 AM

Yes do check oil on level ground and when cold

Derek Uzzell - 2016-08-24 1:42 PM

"Check the oil level a few minutes (about 5) after the engine has stopped..."

Hi Hobby,

Do you have a Yellow or Red top on your dipstick?

If Yellow then check Cold, or if Red then Check Hot (ie 5 minutes after turning engine off). This is the usual rule depending on colour.

Keith.

I find that the best way to read the dipstick on the 2.2 engine is to remove it (the dipstick..) overnight and to take the measure the next morning. Oil trapped in the tube above the dipstick 'head' or scraped off the tube walls by the action of drawing the dipstick out confuses the readings otherwise and it's very hard to see one clear level on the markings.

It's a yellow head by the way, Keith.

Thanks for reply my dipstick is yellow with ring on top I have just had a go at putting the dipstick back

In the tube different ways . If you put the stick back in with the patterned marks and small yellow

Arrows on it pointed towards the engine I have a reading on max mark but rear side of non

Patterned side reads min. If u turn it around the reverse happens so u could under or over fill .

So which way is correct

Mines a Ford with the 2.2 engine. Getting an accurate indication of oil level is a pig of a job. "Steve928" method seems like a good one I will give it a try.

The dip stick simply pulls oil up the tube every time you dip it, so the dipstick is just a smear of oil with no clear indication.

I wonder if this is causing you to overfill the engine? I also find that oil level settles at about 5mm below the full mark and stays there for thousands of miles.

As regards the over fuelling issue, having the pump/ injectors set up on the dealers computer every now and then is well worth it, overfuelling will be spotted and can be sorted. First indication of overfuelling is a "diesel knock" from the engine, that is to say, more knock than is usual!

Only ever use the correct oil, and use good quality fuel. These engines can do 200 to 300 THOUSAND miles.

To check a turbo for oil leaking past the seals needs a strip down and examination by an experienced person, not something that would normally need to be done on such a low mileage engine. A simple check is to look for lots of oil in the turbo hose and/or intercooler, a much easier job as only a couple of clips need to be loosened and the hose pulled of.

I hope this info I have gleaned over a few years might help, but I doubt you have any serious problems.

H

I had an earlier versionof the 2.2 on a Boxer base (56 reg). If the oil level was too high, I got a warning message to that effect. It had the 'bars' to give me a digital indication of the oil level.

Does this no longer happen?

The potential snag with the idea that Hobby54’s motor may be being overfilled with oil due to the oil-level being incorrectly read on the dipstick is ‘quantity’.

Hobby54 has owned the Autoquest motorhome from 2013 until now and during that period the vehicle covered 6000 miles. It hasn’t been said how often an oil-change service has been performed since 2013, but if a litre of oil were being added every 750-1000 miles (and this oil is not being lost/used somehow) massive over-filling would soon occur.

The other thing is that Hobby54 has said that the vehicle’s engine-oil level gauge also shows a reduction in the oil-level that seems to tally with the dip-stick readings.

Had oil change 1000 miles ago and checked reading on dipstick which was mid way between high and low

The dash was reading 4 zeros I did not add any oil until on min mark around 750ml I don't think I have ever overfilled it. If u were to try and get the full 5 zero read out on dash it would be overfilled.

I had a fiat 1.9 before this never used oil but if you filled it to max mark it would read high on the dash.

I don't know of course what happened to the engine with the first owner only that it was serviced as

required. But if I have got wear to the engine you would think I would have smoke or oil from exhaust

I cannot detect any over knocking from engine , and the engine works fine in fact great for 100bhp

This 2004 document lists reasons for high oil consumption

https://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbulletin/MotorOil/TSB%20MO-2004-04-03%20Oil%20Consumption.pdf

There are really just two logical options

1: That your motor is not actually using much oil and it’s how the oil-level is being measured that’s wrong. However, this theory seems to be contradicted by the level shown on the dip-stick and the level shown on the dashboard gauge falling in step.

2: Assuming that there are no oil leaks, that the motor is using more oil than is usual for the 2.2litre 100bhp Ford-derived powerplant that was fitted to a 2010 Peugeot Boxer.

I’m not sure if a gradual consumption of 750ml of oil per 1000 miles would necessarily result in a significant reduction in performance or noticeable smoking - it would really depend on the reason why the oil is being ‘consumed’.

As no symptoms are evident that might explain the high consumption, it’s difficult to know what can be done to diagnose why this is happening..

Archived