Cinque Terra

Mamie

Hello to everyone and hope you are enjoying the Summer

We are hoping to visit the Cinque Terra area September - October and would be very grateful for any general information regarding sites, road/driving conditions etc in the area.

Tourist info I can get from guide books, what I need is "insider" info, you know the stuff you find out when you get there that would have been very useful to know before you went!

Kind Regards and thanks Mary

We were there last year.Far too complicated to think about driving around.

We stayed at an ASCI site at Deiva Marina with a shuttle bus down to the station.

The train to La Spezia stops off at each of the towns so you can get on and off.

Seem to remember we paid for a number of single train tickets but if you bought a ticket through to La Spezia it was valid for 6 hours and you could see a couple of towns in that time.

I think some of the coastal paths are still closed

We went this June and stayed at Camping Fossa Lupara (ACSI) in Sestri Levante. The site was excellent, close to the motorway and a nearby bus stop to the town but we walked (30 min). We got information from the tourist office in the town about Parco National Cinque Terra. We caught a train to Levante (€6.80 return) from Sestri Levante then paid €16 for an unlimited train ticket to the villages. We visited the furthest first and whilst they were all very pretty they all involved a lot of hill climbing from the station. Trains were frequent and whilst there were lots of passengers at each station everyone got on the train. Other campers on our site were visiting the villages by boat and this might suit you. We also caught the train to Genova and would recommend this city but didn't think the city bus tour was worth the money. Have a good trip.

We stayed at a hotel in Porto Venere so sorry no help with the MH sites. We took a ferry from there to Montorosso that stopped at two other of the villages. Had a seafood meal at a waterside trattoria and returned by ferry. We thought it was a great way to see the CT so long as the ocean is calm. Some of the ferrys have English commentary but most have Italian.  Hope this helps. Cheers,

We stayed at Deiva Marina in 2015 May and found the minbus to and from the station great, plus the one way train ticket. You could get on and off as many times as you would wish as long as you were going east. Then simply buy a ticket back to Deiva from whereever you'd had enough. Some of the stations are well above the towns so there's a climb back up to the station but everybody does it.

Some of the places got very busy around lunchtime and early pm with large groups but hopefully it won't be too bad later in the year,

alan

Mamie - 2016-08-23 1:47 PM

Hello to everyone and hope you are enjoying the Summer

We are hoping to visit the Cinque Terra area September - October and would be very grateful for any general information regarding sites, road/driving conditions etc in the area.

Tourist info I can get from guide books, what I need is "insider" info, Mary

Hi Mary,

We were in Levanto on 23rd May, heading south.

We got there via the St Bernard Tunnel, and left Italy some 4 weeks later I think via coastal route through Monaco and into France.

We stayed at campsite in town, just up from the seafront and main square. Tiny pitches but good location and facilities. Should be a bit less busy in Sept I think?

Boat trip along Cingue Terre in bad weather was ok, probably better in calm seas, we didn't stop at more than 1 village by boat. Also very busy and loads of folk taking selfies etc , hardly any decent photos.

Also took train that goes to La Spezia down to Porto Venere and back getting off at each village. Also "rammed" but we enjoyed it, lots to see and loads of photos to paint now we are back.

Also did Amalfi coast on a service bus, which was an experience.

Skipped Pompei etc, should have visited Naples and Genova.

Excuse lack of detail, diaries and wife elsewhere at moment.

Enjoy your trip, sadly that area will be feeling impact of the latest earthquake I think,

Regards

Alan b

Archived