1990 Hymer fridge problems

seancarden1982

hello all :-D

I was hoping for a little help.

Our old hymer has some problems (dont we all)

The fridge is working on mains hook up.

With gas i am unable to see the flame through the little window inside the fridge. However when i take the side panel off from the outside, i can see that the flame is going. Any ideas what could be causing this....

Also the ignition seems to keep clicking even when the flame is on, i turned off the electrics to see what happened and the flame stays on.

There is no cover on the little window, i have the feeling that the previous owners have tried to light from the window, as it is a bit black around it. I gave it a clean and the window and tube are clear of anything.

many thanks.

sean

Hi Sean, Welcome to the forum

I would get a qualified person to look at your fridge. At that age, it would possibly pay you to get a new one fitted. They have improved the design and will be far more efficient, anyway. Probably just as cheap to buy new than to pay a qualified person any way. I don't think they are expensive

PJay

A replacement fridge is a very expensive buy - take your MH to someone who can fix it if you can, an absorption fridge should be repairable.

If repair proves to be impractical buy a working fridge of the same type from a caravan breaker for about £150.

I assume it's an Electrolux fridge. Electrolux has now been taken over by Dometic.

Suggest you look at the Dometic website and search for repairers in your area. Many of them are mobile service technicians.

You say the internal fridge inspection window has been removed. You really need to blank this off or buy a replacement to avoid any unburnt fumes entering the fridge.

It sounds as if your fridge is in need of a thorough service, recommended every 2 to 3 years, although in reality most owners don't bother until something goes wrong. A full service will probably cost around £150 plus any spare parts that are needed.

hi,

thanks for all the info. A service sounds like it could be in order.

i have taken another look at it after looking at some tutorials on you tube, i have given it a good clean and it now lights no problem. Still cant see a flame. I made the mistake of pulling the ignition window out and the tube that it was attached to. i have thread it back through but have no idea where the tube is supposed to actually go.

cheers

sean

Archived