Propane gas bottle

willtravel

This sounds ridiculous I know but I cannot get the nut undone on my propane gas bottle!

It came with the motorhome and I want to swap it out for another as I have no idea how much is in it and we are heading off for Scotland shortly on an extended trip and only want to carry the one bottle.

I know it is a LH thread but I cannot shift it at all. I am using a proper Calor Gas spanner, leverage is limited in the gas locker.

Bought from a dealer who assures me they put it in and have not x threaded it or anything similar.

Would take it there but no time and in wrong direction

Any ideas please.

The spanner sometimes need a tap with a hammer to get the nut loosened and this can be awkward in a small locker.  Using a club hammer can help.  I have in the past had difficulty using a flimsy spanner and a more robust one or a big adjustable might do better.

As long as you remember it's LH thread you are unlikely to do any harm so give it a good knock.

Have you got time to call at a caravan dealer to ask their workshop to loosen it for you?  If you ask nicely they might do it there and then and not even charge you.

Are you sure you have the LH thread direction correctly worked out ?

If so :-

Can you tap the end of the spanner with a hammer ?

Can you extend the spanner, at all, with, say, a small piece of metal pipe ?

Can you disconnect the hose from the regulator and then lift the bottle out to work on it out of the gas locker?

Or :-

Can you find a MH dealer that is en-route and not 'in the wrong direction' ?

andytw - 2016-08-28 4:31 PM

Are you sure you have the LH thread direction correctly worked out ?

If so :-

Can you tap the end of the spanner with a hammer ?

Can you extend the spanner, at all, with, say, a small piece of metal pipe ?

Can you disconnect the hose from the regulator and then lift the bottle out to work on it out of the gas locker?

Or :-

Can you find a MH dealer that is en-route and not 'in the wrong direction' ?

Checked using the screw in plug on the replacement so yes have right direction but thanks for asking.

The other answers given match up with the other replies and will be trying them in the morning.

Have to say had not thought about removing pigtail from other end that will help for sure.

Thanks to you all for the suggestions.

willtravel - 2016-08-28 4:42 PM

Have to say had not thought about removing pigtail from other end that will help for sure.

But remember the regulator end will be a RH thread!

The way to tell is that a LH threaded connection has 'notches' in the corners of the nut. Kind of looks like 2 nuts stuck together.

Keith.

Fitting a ‘hand-wheel’ adapter (example here)

http://www.gaslowdirect.com/Gaslow-Easy-Fit-UK-Propane-Adapte

is likely to involve replacing the original UK standard propane pigtail too. (The caveat about 3.9kg canisters is worth bearing in mind as well.)

There are certain advantages to using the adapter, but it’s bulky, introduces an extra joint that requires a washer and the adapter’s rubber ‘end’ cone’ should not be expected to last forever.

It’s possibly better to replace the existing gas-hose with one with an integrated hand-wheel (example here)

http://gasproducts.co.uk/gaslow-easy-fit-450mm-propane-gas-hose.html?gclid=CK-WwaKY5s4CFdU_Gwodh4MAuw

I use a sawn off adjustable spanner. If it is too tight, I can lift out the gas cylinder and work on the nut in open space. I have used a hammer just to get the movement started.

My last van had the integrated wheel as highlighted by Derek. Worked a treat.

Archived