Using a motorhome as weekday home

ciderdrinker

Hi all

I'm a complete newbie and am thinking of buying a second-hand motorhome to live in during the week. It's my intention to live permanently by the coast in a house, but I work in an office in Buckinghamshire and I will need to live up there for 4 nights a week. Could you guys give me some advice?

Where can I park? My office doesn't have parking facilities so I would need to be somewhere nearby. Can you park on any reasonably wide road or are there restrictions? Does anyone know of any camping sites around High Wycombe (Google did yield much)? Safety is an issue too as I'm a single female.

What about clean water? If I fill up my tank at home, would that be enough for 5 days in the van with cooking, washing, toilet etc?

How do I empty the toilet if I'm not on a campsite? For 5 days, with toilet facilities in the office, I'm hoping I wouldn't use it as much as if I were there all day, but it will need emptying, where can I do that?

As I'll only be there during the week and will have a permanent address I'm not worried about things like laundry, post etc. but I will want internet to watch TV/Netflix etc online on a laptop. What would you advise to do that?

What insurance would I need? Are there any costs specific to motorhomes that are different from say owning a car?

Think that's all my initial questions. I really appreciate any help you guys could give, thanks a lot.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

There are a lot of pitfalls in what you are contemplating, and I am not advising you to do it.

Nevertheless, there are more single women living in motorhomes than you might imagine.

Statistically, men are far more likely to be attacked than women, but that may be because they take more risks, I don't know.

The single women with motorhomes I have met have all been keeping a low profile. I only discovered them when they took an interest in my van and approached me to ask about it. My camper van looks like an ordinary white courier/builders van from outside, so they tend to be very surprised when I have the large side door open to they can see inside when they walk past. I am not vain enough to think these women are interested in me, but they certainly show interest in my van.

Sorry I don't know Buckinghamshire well enough to advise you where to park. Ecxept I would be first looking for a road with a park on one side, and nice houses overlooking it on the other - like with their own drive so you are not competing with local residents for on street parking space, only with day visitors from outside.

Quite a few things to consider.

One thing to clarify, parking at work, will you have somewhere nearby that is convenient to park whilst at work or are you looking to leave van in one place all week and commute from there?

For security (perceived or otherwise) a campsite is preferable, this will also solve any issues with toilet and power, as you would only be on site 4 or 5 nights of week there will not be any problems with the sites licence (although people live full time on many sites), this then raises the issue of whether you would be better off in a motorhome or a caravan,

There are lots of variables here and we need to remove a few of them.

Firstly I would not be happy, and neither would local home owners, with a motorhome parked up regularly outside our home. Consider instead the Caravan or Camping and Caravan Club cl / cs sites and maybe find one locally with whom you can build a good understanding of your needs. Plenty of info on club websites etc.

Water duration depends on two things. The size of the tank which varies a lot from van to van and water use which varies a lot from user to user. If you don't take showers and are careful even a 60 litre tank might last all week but if you take a shower every day even a large 200 litre tank will probably not last a week. You can always use bottled water from supermarkets as drinking and/or emergency supply for other uses.

If you are careful a normal Thetford cassette can just about last a week for one person but the downsides are that it not only gets a bit pongy but the cassette gets quite heavy and not so easy to empty.

However if you are on a cl/cs this will not matter as much as water and emptying will be at hand to do more frequently, plus you may also feel more secure and have company some nights.

I would have thought that ordinary standard motorhome insurance would be adequate as you will have a full time address.

The main differences between a car and a motorhome are the way they drive, the build quality and reliability as motorhomes tend to be less well made and dealers less helpful than their car cousins but to find out out more you need to drive one.

Then there is the use of a mains electricity lead to consider. It is possible to live off grid for weeks at a time with the right set up on a van especially if you drive it some distance every day but it may be easier for you to use mains power on a cl/cs.

Welcome to the forum and good luck.

People from the local village who don't have their own drive park outside my home, which doesn't bother me at all. Not that its any of my business as its a public road which we all have an equal right to use. I am not so selfish as to try and claim the public road as my own - even when I don't need it as I have my own drive to park on.

There may be some people who don't like me parking on the road outside their home, but they obviously don't care about me so why should I care about them?

There are many people that adopt a 'sodde you I'm alright' attitude in this ever more selfish country of ours.

If you are one of them it does not matter what anyone else says or does. C'est la vie.

However if you are not, prefering instead to act with consideration and courtesy towards others it does matter.

And then there is the security aspect to consider if you offend people, especially when you are asleep in the middle of the night.

You may be better to buy a caravan and find somewhere to park that on a permanent basis. Mabe a local farmer if no sites available. You would also have transport to get around in.

My son did this many years ago, when at Uni, and had a years secondment in Suffolk. Stayed at the farm in the week and came home , with washing ! every week end. Raided Mum's larder each week , as well!

Buckingham shire a bit "posh" to want Mh parked in the road .weight up the cost of buying/insuring/road tax of a MH. You may find it cheaper to rent a room , and more comfortable .

PJay

Hello ciderdrinker [so am I]. My advice is to rent a flat or get a house share.

I worked in Peterborough, Leicester & Stevenage for three years and intended staying in my motorhome during the week [4 nights] and travelling home at weekend. When I costed it out, I discovered that I could get a two bedroomed flat in Peterborough for the same money.

Don't be tempted to 'wild camp' - living on the highway, lay-bys, spare bits of land etc. There is an obvious safety issue and you have to consider how your work colleagues will view it. Camp sites usually have a 28 day rule which means you have to move on every 28 days [not an issue if you take home the van at weekends]. I couldn't find a site within easy travel of my work places using public transport. The buying and wear and tear/depreciation on a van can be expensive. Camp sites are not cheap.

The final point that discouraged me was that I was working long days and therefore coming back to the van and doing all the things that needed doing. My energy levels would suffer and my performance at work.

In 2010, my first winter away, temperatures dropped to -15C in some parts overnight. Imagine getting up on a dark, freezing morning, checking the van hadn't frozen, going to work, coming home in the cold and dark, checking the van again, sorting out the services. The van would've been warm - at a high cost of heating. You don't get much chance to watch TV!

There are of course Travellers who live on the road and love it. I've met other people on campsites who use it during the week whilst working locally. It is doable - a caravan would be better suited for being pitched up on site for a long period - and if you are an active soul who enjoys the rough and ready lifestyle, you could enjoy the challenge.

By phoning around, I did find a site I could use. It was a CL [Certified Location - used by Caravan Club members only - visit the Caravan Club site for details] that would ignore the 28 day rule and would do a deal for up to 12 months [his site was used by farm workers from the east]. It was cheap but 2 miles from the bus stop with a busy every hour.

Motorhomes need mechanics servicing and, unless you know what you are doing, a habitation service. The older the van, the more likely the service and maintenance costs will be - I budget £600pa for a newish van needing no repairs but you can get cheaper. Insurance will vary but mine is just over £300pa.

I did live in my van for three weeks at the end of my job. It was a warm summer and I stayed at a full facilities camp site. It was great - there were a few of us early rises going to work.

I found there other hidden costs when working away during the week whether in a flat or not. Any chance of your employer covering the costs?

I met a chap at work who was a freelance Civil Engineer and who regularly worked away from home.

He had a small high-top campervan. He initially used a local CC campsite but when they found out he was a "worker" they refused to allow him to stay (against club rules apparently).

He then found a CL/CS site nearby and used that.

We had parking at the office so he was able to commute and use that during the day.

NB. A CL/CS is a maximum of 5 van campsite operated by either the Caravan Club or Camping and Caravanning Club. They are normally in rural locations on farms etc. You need to be a member of the club to use these.

Hi, years ago my work took me away from home during the week, and at that stage we had a VW camper van. On one job, I was commuting weekly to north wales, returning home at weekends. Whilst away, I was fortunate enough to find a quiet corner in an old small quarry where no one bothered me for overnight, and was able to use the work site facility for water, sewerage etc, and midday meals. This lasted for 6 months overall, but the winter was very cold in the van, such that the gas failed to work Butane gas.

I survived but would honestly not recommend it.. far better to find a B&B rather than risking roadside parking.

cc cl sites might be an option, but technically against their rules, .

better to be safe unless you are extreemly confident..

Dont go buying an expensive motorhome solely for worktime use..

tonyg3nwl

Tracker - 2016-09-05 9:34 AM

There are many people that adopt a 'sodde you I'm alright' attitude in this ever more selfish country of ours.

If you are one of them it does not matter what anyone else says or does. C'est la vie.

However if you are not, prefering instead to act with consideration and courtesy towards others it does matter.

And then there is the security aspect to consider if you offend people, especially when you are asleep in the middle of the night.

When it comes to people who claim the public road near their property as their own, even when they don't want to park there themselves, I can agree with all of that

(People living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, we know where you live etc)

I agree Colin. Better the van than trying to live in a hotel during the week. I've lived in hotels during the week for up to 3 months at a time and did not like it even though one of the hotels gave me my own room week in week out and didn't let it when I wasn't there. I'd still prefer a flat or house share if I was working though.

Thanks all for your advice

colin - 2016-09-05 8:50 AM

One thing to clarify, parking at work, will you have somewhere nearby that is convenient to park whilst at work or are you looking to leave van in one place all week and commute from there?

No parking at the office so the plan would be to park the van up on Monday morning and get to work from there everyday. If it wasn't possible to get to work by walking or public transport from the overnight location then I'd need to find somewhere during the day to park it whilst I was at work.

PJay - 2016-09-05 9:47 AM

You may be better to buy a caravan and find somewhere to park that on a permanent basis. Mabe a local farmer if no sites available. You would also have transport to get around in.

My son did this many years ago, when at Uni, and had a years secondment in Suffolk. Stayed at the farm in the week and came home , with washing ! every week end. Raided Mum's larder each week , as well!

Buckingham shire a bit "posh" to want Mh parked in the road .weight up the cost of buying/insuring/road tax of a MH. You may find it cheaper to rent a room , and more comfortable .

PJay

Interesting idea about the caravan, but I don't have a car that could tow it. Other than that, what your son did is exactly what I want to do, except I'll be doing the washing and cooking at home!

Brock - 2016-09-05 10:11 AM

Hello ciderdrinker [so am I]. My advice is to rent a flat or get a house share.

I worked in Peterborough, Leicester & Stevenage for three years and intended staying in my motorhome during the week [4 nights] and travelling home at weekend. When I costed it out, I discovered that I could get a two bedroomed flat in Peterborough for the same money.

Unfortunately, renting a flat is too expensive in Buckinghamshire (at least £750 a month for a 1 bed) and I work in an university town, so house shares would mean sharing with students. As a women with a Uni aged daughter that's not something I fancy.

Don't be tempted to 'wild camp' - living on the highway, lay-bys, spare bits of land etc. There is an obvious safety issue and you have to consider how your work colleagues will view it. Camp sites usually have a 28 day rule which means you have to move on every 28 days [not an issue if you take home the van at weekends]. I couldn't find a site within easy travel of my work places using public transport. The buying and wear and tear/depreciation on a van can be expensive. Camp sites are not cheap.

I was thinking more residential roads or trying to do a deal with the local boat marina, but a campsite would be best. The problem is finding one nearby...

When you say not cheap, what is the going rate per night?

The final point that discouraged me was that I was working long days and therefore coming back to the van and doing all the things that needed doing. My energy levels would suffer and my performance at work.

No long days for me just an office day. What do you mean by "all the things that needed doing" - normal living things (cooking, washing etc) or more specific to the motorhome?

In 2010, my first winter away, temperatures dropped to -15C in some parts overnight. Imagine getting up on a dark, freezing morning, checking the van hadn't frozen, going to work, coming home in the cold and dark, checking the van again, sorting out the services. The van would've been warm - at a high cost of heating. You don't get much chance to watch TV!

This is probably my biggest concern. I like it really warm, but can't afford to pay for hotels around here - probably £100 per night. With that cost the heating bill might still be cheaper, unless you guys think otherwise.

I found there other hidden costs when working away during the week whether in a flat or not. Any chance of your employer covering the costs?

If only! No this is my choice, not being forced on me by the company.

colin - 2016-09-05 1:12 PM

Well it seems I went the opposite direction to most others.

I spent a year living in Trusthouse Forte hotels during the week, I got fed up of this and switched to a touring caravan, I was much happier living in a van.

I get you! Even if the hotel cost was affordable, I would want somewhere that was my own and I could leave personal things about. The hotel life would not be my cup of tea.

A couple of you have mentioned that 4 nights a week would be against camp site rules, but others have said it would be fine if I was moving off every weekend. Which is right?

Forgot to mention that this is a potential temporary situation, maybe for 6 months. I'm hoping to convince my office to let me work from home 3 days a week and only go up to Buckinghamshire for 1 night a week.

ciderdrinker - 2016-09-05 3:38 PM

A couple of you have mentioned that 4 nights a week would be against camp site rules, but others have said it would be fine if I was moving off every weekend. Which is right?

there are a couple of issues.

Firstly Licencing, touring camping sites are not licenced for permanent residents, although many do have them. I'm not sure if 4 nights per week every week count, but I'm sure many campsites will work something out.

Secondly site rules, some campsites have their own rules which mean they don't allow people to use them as a base for living whilst working, I don't think any club site allows it, but commercial sites make their own rules and sometimes bend them depending on the person.

I would never advise continual parking in a residential street, especially if the van is left unattended daily, (one night & move on )

A thought that crossed my mind (yeah I now it took a long twisted route)

Is it feasible to discuss with work colleagues, if any have a suitable driveway or space where you could park in consideration of a small payment. But be aware that some houses may have a covenant against parking of Motorhomes, Vans or Caravans.

It would give better security & piece of mind. You could also enquire if they would allow Electric Hook Up (for a small additional payment) which would make the experience a lot more comfortable & give you power for TV, Laptop, Water Heating, etc..

+ the bonus of having a lift into work each day, lol.

Hi ciderdrinker,

You mention in one of your posts about doing a deal with a local boat marina.

Instead of buying a caravan [you say your car is not big enough for towing],have you thought of buying a boat. You would have the services you need at hand presumably and probably somewhere to park.

I do not know anything about living on boats but they always seem warmer somehow.

best of luck in your quest

derek

Motorhomers always complain about the price of campsites. For good quality one with onsite facilities such as showers and toilets, expect to pay between £15 and £20+ per night depending on season. That's touching £300pm. For a tap in a rough field, less than £10 a night. Good campsites fill up in the peak season.

You've not mentioned how you are going to buy the motorhome and what is your budget. Expect depreciation of c5% pa on a low budget motorhome. For example, on a £10,000 motorhome, depreciation could be c£80pm. On a mid range second hand motorhome of say £30,000, you could lose over £150pm. Unfortunately, there are no guides to motorhome depreciation like there are for cars. I'd question whether a motorhome for 6m will be worthwhile. If you start using it in spring for 6m then it'll be a breeze. Start in November and it might be tough.

You will need to fill and empty the water tanks, ensure your battery is charged up [should be OK if you have an electric hook up], tidy things away and get them out again if you want to drive the van somewhere, fix the bits that break, replace gas cylinders when they run out, empty the toilet cassette to name a few. Nothing onerous but after a bad day at work and bad weather, these suddenly become tiresome.

There are some really good videos on full timing on You Tube. Most are based on American living but the message is just as good. Worth watching a few such as some by Pippi Peterson. As has been said, the wild campers will give you a good idea of what life is like without full facilities sites.

If your motorhome has an electric heater, then your electric costs should be included in the pitch fee. If you have to run on gas, then small 6kg gas tanks cost over £18 once you have paid for the cylinder rental. I've gone through a cylinder in 4 days when it was -10C although in the summer, a cylinder will last more than a month. Some motorhomers have refillable fixed tanks - expensive to install but the gas is much cheaper.

Campsites are licensed for leisure and not for people engaged in non leisure pursuits such as work. I phoned around, most said no when I told them I was working, a few said, "No problem".

Much of the motorhoming knowledge is based on the vast experience of motorhomers. People's experiences differ and so will their advice.

A marina I use every year charges £15 a night but provides all the facilities. If you want a long term deal and park around the back, you should get it cheaper. It's worth exploring as is seeing if you can rent a boat. Rooms for mature people can often be found by advertising in the local area or perhaps within the office but weirdos abound. I can imagine what it would be like sharing with students who will not be living around a 9-5 routine.

I hope you find something that meets your needs.

Last year, Scotrail essentially closed the train line that was my daily commute for 6 weeks (journey times went from 1hr each way to 2.5 hours each way - eg unacceptable!).

I opted to live in the van weekdays staying on a CL on the outskirts of Edinburgh. It, cost me £10/night which is way less than the train was costing me anyway. I drove down Sunday eve, stayed till Thursday eve, but not Thursday night as I work from home on a Friday - so £40/week. The tenner a night got me water, waste disposal, incl toilet, and site toilet facilities. The only thing that was missing was a drive over-drain. The site was 30mins cycle ride from work.

Anyway, it worked well and I would have no issues doing it again or doing it when I get sick of the commute!

NB: you need to be a member of the caravan club to use CL's or a member of the Camping and Caravanning Club to use CS.

Nigel

Unless you are so poor that you have to try to live "outside the rules", then a minimum standard of living would pretty much compel you to use a proper campsite of some sort, as a way of having access to water, electricity and waste facilities - and I would suggest that a caravan would serve much better than a motorhome, even if your car is unsuitable for towing and you do have to get someone else to tow it to where it will be based.  Caravans are also much cheaper to buy than motorhomes.

Basing your caravan semi-permanently on one site would also be desirable too, so you don't have to tow or get it towed home every weekend.  That also rules out using a C&CC Club Site because although they will allow workers to use their sites, they limit a stay to a maximum of 28 continuous days.  Unless you could find a C&CC Site which also had storage facilities (and their willingness to tow your caravan into and out of storage for you) then C&CC would be a non-starter as well as CC.

But you could perhaps find a non-Club site near your work (or get a CL/CS to let you stay anyway) and enjoy fairly civilised accommodation during your working week.  There was a caravan doing this on a CL I stayed at not long ago so it does happen.  There is no legal reason why you cannot base your single caravan on any land as long as you have the owners permission.

Good luck.

Archived