heating in motorhomes

Wend

can I have some feedback please on truma versus eberspacher diesel (the polar type fitted with vents as in Frankia motorhomes and not the blown air combitronic. I now the truma 6002eh will use all electric when plugged in but we wild camp (aires in france -villages) are perfectly safe when you get 'a feel good factor' about the location, so then the truma becomes a gas guzzeler.

Guest JudgeMental
I was under the impression that regards the Truma heating the “EH for electric heating” was for electric hot water heating only - and not for general blown space heating - which is gas dependent?

Hi Wend,

Our only experience of the Erberspacher was being parked next to a Hymer fitted with one that kept us awake half the night at the Peterboro' show this year, I suppose people must get used to it or something because the noise to us was absolutely awful and we were a good twenty feet away. It surely must have been noisy inside the van that it was fitted to, I just hope we are never near another and it would stop us from even considering fitting one. Fortunately it only stayed the one night or we would have had to move it was that bad.

Bas

We have a Frankia (our 3rd and just ordered 4th). We always specify the Truma rather than the Eberspacher type as the row created by those things is enough to wake the dead.

We so far have not found the Truma to be too much of a gas guzzler but in the dead of winter when you need to run it for longer it does put quite a strain on the batteries for the fan. (but so does any blown heating system).

The Truma 6000Eh can be used, on electric, for both water and central heat and runs at 1800w. In winter it needs back up from the gas as 1800w is not enough for a big 'van unless you can leave it on 24/7.

Hi Bas/Bernie,

We have been using the Eberspacher now for three and a half years and we don't find it too noisy inside. I have often spoken to neighbours ref noise but never had any adverse reports.

Ours is fitted with two silencers and we are very conscious were we park and use the heater. We have never felt the need to have it running all night, being a small van ours warms up very quickly and the thermostat controls the heat.

When the Eberspacher first came out it was banned on some mixed (tents/caravans/motorhomes) sites in Spain/Portugal/France because of the fumes and problems it could have for the tenters.

Don

The Eberspacher is very noisy. We have one in our boat, but as it's in the engine compartmant we can just about bear it. If I was fitting one to a MH I would mount it under the chassis and as far away from the bed as possible.

JudgeMental - 2006-12-03 1:14 PM I was under the impression that regards the Truma heating the “EH for electric heating” was for electric hot water heating only - and not for general blown space heating - which is gas dependent?

The EH does gas/electric heating and hot water.  The EL versions have a 450W electric element that heats hot water only.

I believer the Eberspacher units can be rather heavy 12V consumers.  They have to heat a vapouriser plate each time they fire.  Once firing, the plate is heated by the flame, but I believe it has to be 12V heated to initiate combustion.

Brian Kirby - 2006-12-03 10:18 PM
JudgeMental - 2006-12-03 1:14 PM I was under the impression that regards the Truma heating the “EH for electric heating” was for electric hot water heating only - and not for general blown space heating - which is gas dependent?

The EH does gas/electric heating and hot water.  The EL versions have a 450W electric element that heats hot water only.

I believer the Eberspacher units can be rather heavy 12V consumers.  They have to heat a vapouriser plate each time they fire.  Once firing, the plate is heated by the flame, but I believe it has to be 12V heated to initiate combustion.

Brian,Full details of the Eberspacher heaters can be found at http://tinyurl.com/y83ep5Don

One of concerns is gas bottles - we will be able to carry 2 x 13kg in new m/h and also have aquired french one. Of all the new products in gas technology has anyone used gasflow or the new kevlar bottles. The propane english bottles are very heavy, how do disabled people cope.

Wend

Wend - 2006-12-03 11:21 PM

One of concerns is gas bottles - we will be able to carry 2 x 13kg in new m/h and also have aquired french one. Of all the new products in gas technology has anyone used gasflow or the new kevlar bottles. The propane english bottles are very heavy, how do disabled people cope.

Wend

Sounds like you need a gaslow bottle or 2 then there will be no need to hump the bottles about. After years of carrying around various bottles for each of the main countries we visit we have bought the gaslows to be fitted to our new 'van.

The Truma guzzles gas, but is still probably cheaper to run than a diesel heater due to current differences in fuel prices.

We have two gaslow 11k refillables and this works out well - though the cost of installing these is significant and probably invalidates my first sentence - hey ho.

The Truma is a powerful beast and heats up our 6.7m van quickly. I have measured it at 30 minutes to go from an internal (and external) temparature of 5 C to 22 C on gas only. It then works on low setting to keep that temp. But I guess that depends on the installation and the insulation qualities of the 'van. (Ours is Weinsburg on a Renault)

The Truma needs a decent voltage on the leisure battery to operate and the fan sucks quite a bit out of the battery on full blast

The mains electric element adds 1.8kw to the 6kw

The only reason I can think of for fitting an Eberspacher is to provide heat on the move, and this we did in a previous drafty Ducato based 'van. but no for this in our Renault Master as the cab heater deliveres heat quickly from cold start and keeps the whole 'van comfortable on the move.

The Eberspacher (2003 model) was very powerful, but very noisy (with silencer fitted) and could not be used on campsites in my opinion.

HTH

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks for the clarification regards Truma EL & EH.

Looks like I have made a mistake…

I did not bother upgrading from the 6002 because I thought the 6004 EH was just an electric jacket around the water heater part of the boiler – I guess one of the problems of buying abroad. Will contact dealer in morning to see if it’s not too late to change unit.

Thanks again for the expertise!

Eddie

On that subject, it will depend how many nights you expect to spend on sites in winter, and where. 

We found our EL version very convenient and economical in Spain, Portugal, Italy and France.  The advantage was that, being only 450W, you can get away with using it on even a 3A supply - not so uncommon in those countries, and can just leave it on without further cost.  Yes it only does the water heating, but 12 litres of nice warm water inevitably leak a little of their warmth into the 'van interior.  So, if it was a bit chilly, we'd put the water heater on and, as it was under the bed, the bed would stay just that bit warmer and drier feeling. 

On the other hand, if it was cold, putting the electric heater on provided good insurance against the nearby Truma dump valve opening. 

Neither of these things would have been reliably possible with an EH version, because the wattage would have been far too high to use on so many of the sites.  We'd have had to use gas for the same benefit.

Thus, the apparent advantage of the electric heating option isn't quite as great as at first seems the case, unless of course you know you'll be using your van mainly on sites with connections giving at least 5A and, if you want to use the full 1800W electric element, 10A.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JudgeMental

Just heard back from Euramobil dealer and have upgraded to 6002 EH. The electrical side is I think 900 watt x 2 giving 1800 watts. So thanks a bunch everyone for the advice!

I was spoilt with last camper as it had ALDE wet water central heating. I hardly ever used it on gas as it had 1000 -2000 watt electric heating. As we have teenagers we presently tend to frequent all singing all dancing sites to keep them happy…

The shock and horror on their respective faces when we pull into a basic field site is something to behold! :-D

Archived