solar panel on rv

legi

Hi

I'm putting on solar panels on my Rv and will charge the leisure batteries 'stand alone'.

So the panels will go through controller and then to batteries - is it as simple as that or am I missing something?

My circuit will be two 100 watt panels in parallel, connected to a suitable spec controller and from controller to batteries (fused on +be side of cable)

Any help would be much appreciate.

Nige

That will do the job, but some vans like mine the solar goes to Electrobloc, and this mainly charges leisure batteries but also passes some charge to the vehicle battery to ensure that doesn't run flat. You can buy a solar controller that will do a similar job.

Hi

If you can splash out on a MPPT controller, then you will get better results in cloudy conditions by connecting the panels in series rather than parallel. This does, however require an MPPT controller, and shading of one panel can be more troublesome than in a parallel connection. I can recommend the EPSOLAR range of controllers and MT50 meter that I posted about in a recent thread on here re solar panels. To connect in Series, panels need to have an identical CURRENT rating, to connect in parallel, they should have an identical VOLTAGE rating. As ever two identical panels always the best bet, but sometimes existing roof furniture does not allow for this.

Nigel

Archived