Dash Cam Purchase

tugga

I bought a cheap one from EBay as an experiment and it worked well, except the camera angle wasn't very wide, but ot worked well, dividing the recording into 3 or 5 minute clips as separate files and over-writing the old ones automatically when the card was full.  Starts automatically as power comes on to the cigar lighter socket so fit and forget really.

I then bought a wide angle one (170 degrees) which was better.  This also cost only £20 so I've yet to be convinced that the more expensive ones add much value.  I had to buy the micro SD card separately and I made a mistake buying cheap ones of those - get a reliable make like Sandisk or Kingston.

Beware interference with car digital radio from your dashcam - if it happens then fit a couple of clamp-on ferrite core interference suppressors to the dashcam power cord - only a few pence from EBay.

I have a blackvue camera fitted . In fact it's two cameras one in the front and one at the rear. Not the cheapest but they are the best.good lens with high level of detail both during the day and at night.also as sound and gps included.

In fact the blackvue just paid for itself after a car almost hit me and the driver started a claim against me. Information taken from the blackvue showed that no contact had been made between the cars.and also that my driving was not at fault.

Sad to say that until the camera details came out,the police were more then happy to blame me as the other driver had two witnesses. But even after seeing the film the police took know action on the sods

I bought a cheap one on eBay, there are thousands of them being churned out in China. Some are OK but of the OK ones are thousands of fakes, the picture resolution of the fakes is, you guessed it, bad.

I ended up paying £78 for the Eprance mini 0805 off Amazon, great little camera with GPS. You know it's a good camera when you can freeze footage of an oncoming car and easily read the number plate. Another good one I have in the van is the Mobius action cam, but this doesn't have GPS.

Whatever you decide remember there are cheap fake versions of them all that look identical.

terry1956 - 2016-09-07 10:33 AM

I have a blackvue camera fitted . In fact it's two cameras one in the front and one at the rear. Not the cheapest but they are the best.good lens with high level of detail both during the day and at night.also as sound and gps included.

Agreed. We have a BlackVue and very happy with quality. Check out here

https://www.blackvue.co.uk/index.php/online-shop

Hi,

My son has a RoadHawk in his car after being involved in a 'Hit and run' incident which after 12 months of legal involvement has finally cleared him of blame, the dash cam would have instantly! It is a very good piece of kit and easy to replay.

I have a Snooper DVR-1HD and whilst it is good at what it does I have had issues with it permanently 'locking' the Micro SD cards rendering them scrap and the customer support from Snooper is less than worthless.

My advice - DO NOT BUY A SNOOPER!

Keith.

Transcend DrivePro 200; £79.99 Halfords or Argos. Good quality video easily reads other vehicles number plates, but you need to buy the suction mount for an extra £6.99, the supplied stick on mount is rubbish.

http://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/transcend-drivepro-200-dash-cam

I have two, one for the cars and another for the van, check out the quality of mine here;

StuartO - 2016-09-07 10:30 AM.  I had to buy the micro SD card separately and I made a mistake buying cheap ones of those - get a reliable make like Sandisk or Kingston.

Beware interference with car digital radio from your dashcam - if it happens then fit a couple of clamp-on ferrite core interference suppressors to the dashcam power cord - only a few pence from EBay.

It is important to use an SD card with a suitable write speed. Usually the minimum is Class 6. Class 10 works best.

Keithl - 2016-09-07 12:42 PM

I have a Snooper DVR-1HD and whilst it is good at what it does I have had issues with it permanently 'locking' the Micro SD cards rendering them scrap and the customer support from Snooper is less than worthless.

My advice - DO NOT BUY A SNOOPER!

Keith.

I have come across several other people who have experienced the same problem.

Charles - 2016-09-07 10:48 AM

Whatever you decide remember there are cheap fake versions of them all that look identical.

They are not really "fakes". The Chinese factories product casings that they sell to numerous electronic companies who put their own design of circuitry and lenses inside.

Anyone know why they are called "Dash Cams" when you cannot fix them to the dash? they have to be fixed to the screen or the image will be recorded upside down! Unless someone knows of a Dash Cam that can be rotated whilst fixed to the dash.

fmh22 - 2016-09-07 4:54 PM

Anyone know why they are called "Dash Cams" when you cannot fix them to the dash? they have to be fixed to the screen or the image will be recorded upside down! Unless someone knows of a Dash Cam that can be rotated whilst fixed to the dash.

Eprance mini 0806

Bulletguy - 2016-09-07 9:00 PM

KeithM - 2016-09-07 5:37 PM

Rotatable dash cams, another one. ;-)

http://www.mi-witness.co.uk/

Take your pick.

That's way over priced.

I have a Mio MiVue 538 deluxe which has gps tracking and paid £110 last year so they could be found for less now.

My previous post was just an example of a rotatable camera as a previous post asked about a dash mounted camera, not screen mounted

As long as you are happy with yours then no problem.

Personally I would not want such a thing but hey ho we are all different.

The one I was looking at was actually two cameras, one front, one rear.

Whether the extra cost is worth it who knows.

More research will be done. ;-)

Archived