Christmas day coming in 2 weeks for us....

frank shepherd

Actually we don,t "do" Christmas, just a paraphrase but 2 weeks from now is when we pick up our van... We have learnt loads already, Yesterday we visited our selling dealer and I explained to one of the chaps how I am going to ask him a couple of really dumb questions.... he explained that no question (well almost no question) is too dumb..better to ask than flounder..! He answered my queries with aplomb...One of our replies on this forum was to take delivery and then learn on a practical basis ..Sound advice and more than just the basics will be explained to us on our handover...It appears the Chausson is well thought of re design features and we just need to assure ourselves of reliability issues should any occur. I understand that many owners feel any van is a "compromise" , the perfect van will never exist as we are all individuals with different attitudes and needs

I just wonder about some things such as what switching regime is required when changing from say HU and 12 v etc...does it know or do I have to tell it.. water pump automatics, plugging in 12v kit to std type sockets and many more questions....bring on the handover...! *-)

I would get as early a start as I can, book an overnight at a site close to the dealer, take some basic overnight kit with me and try everything the van has at my own pace.

There will probably be more questions than answers arising after a night's use and to be right on the dealers doorstep at 9.00 am gives you a good headstart in sorting it all out.

Good luck - and happy Christmas.

Welcome to the forum Frank.

Lots of the queries are 'learn as you go', If on a site with others vans, go and ask if you have a question, we've all had the same problems.

On some van types the changeover from 12v to mains 240v power operates as soon as you plug in your extension lead, on other types a switch has to be operated first.

Your extension lead is usually supplied by the dealer and will probably be (should be) orange in colour so's it can be seen easily (in grass). Both end connections will be blue in colour to denote 240v single phase.

When connecting to mains power, push the male end into your van socket first, then lay out your lead, preferably uncoiled, lastly plug into the live mains supply point, this method means you are not waving a live end about !

Similarly when disconnecting remove live end first) ... removal of your extension lead reverts the van electrics to 12v.

When disconnecting you will need to look into the socket housing to press a release trigger in order to be able to remove your round plug. (This stops the plug loosening and any loss of power)

A mains connection can be used from home ... but ... you will need a different short connection between your house wall socket and your van extension cable.

(A standard 3 pin plug to the house sockets ... and a round colour blue socket to your van extension plug.

If you venture onto the continent they have a reversed polarity system. Ask about that before you travel.

Dealer seems a sensible person. Think about taking a note book on handover day. You don't have to write everything down, just enough to trigger thoughts. Also check the manuals you need are provided as these are invaluable.

I've always believed the art of motorhoming is living with the van and making the most of its virtues rather than nit picking about what you wish or should have had. The relationship with the van should blossom as you get to know each other. It only answers back if you have a satnav!

Brock - 2016-09-07 1:36 PM

Dealer seems a sensible person. Think about taking a note book on handover day. You don't have to write everything down, just enough to trigger thoughts. Also check the manuals you need are provided as these are invaluable.

I've always believed the art of motorhoming is living with the van and making the most of its virtues rather than nit picking about what you wish or should have had. The relationship with the van should blossom as you get to know each other. It only answers back if you have a satnav!

VERY sound advice John. Learn as you go

PJay

Archived