Motor Home Novice/Virgin

Dave3

I'm looking to buy a motor home - having never even stayed in or driven one before. So a number of questions spring to mind - gald of any advice from knowledgable expereienced mtorhome users.

Q1 Am I mad?

Q2 What do I need to know before buying a four berth motorhome?

Q3 Where is the best place to buy a motorhome?

Q4 I have dogs which I would want to travel with me and my wife does this affect the model/type etc?

All help genuinely gratefully accepted

Dave

1. Definitely

2. Go to one of the large shows that sell them or your nearest site that sells them. Look and ask questions, When you've done that several times and convinced yourself its what you would like to own. You should then have some positive views and the questions will be aimed at specific targets.

3. Europe is a big place.

4. If your wish is to travel in a mobile kennel then great. It would not be my choice.

5. Uppermost do not be hurried.

6. You ask 4 berth. Is that 2 for you and 2 for the dogs?

Best wishes and good to hear from you, Its a great pastime.

Dave3 - 2016-09-07 5:08 PM

I'm looking to buy a motor home - having never even stayed in or driven one before. So a number of questions spring to mind - gald of any advice from knowledgable expereienced mtorhome users.

Q1 Am I mad?

Q4 I have dogs which I would want to travel with me and my wife does this affect the model/type etc?

All help genuinely gratefully accepted

Dave

I am not experienced but a newbie like yourself having taken the plunge and bought a used one earlier on this year. However to give you the benefit of my experience so far

1. No we love going away in the van and our dog loves it too.

2. How much you can spend, where you plan to go with it and that you must do lots of research including trawling this forum to find out what potential problems there are with any MH you fancy. There are particularly informative reviews on the outandabout live MMM youtube channel.

3. The oldies on this forum would suggest that if you are buying from a dealer make sure it is one that is within reasonable travelling distance. If buying from a private seller caveat emptor.

4. We have one dog, she sheds lots of hair and is generally messy after lovely walks in far away places. That means we didn't buy anything that we were too precious about and our external shower comes in handy from time to time.

Of minimum assistance I know but your questions are very broad. Our van has not met all our needs/wants but as our first one it has been good enough and has cemented what features we regard as essential and what we may have to compromise on when we buy our next one. My best guess is you'll do the same.

:-) Veronica

Hello Dave

Staring point must be to follow the links in Duncan's thread on the top of the forum:

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Motorhome-guides/41792/

Unless you do a lot of leg work yourself to get a basic understanding, you are asking the 'how long is a piece of string' question.

1. Not necessarily but a reality check wouldn't be a bad idea.

2. Lincoln Show is on this month followed by the NEC Show in October. The former is outdoors and good for perusing end of season and second hand vans. The October Show is primarily for new vans in 2017. Both have numerous other stalls so are worth the trip.

3. Depends on what you want and the budget. A £10,000 van is best bought privately, a new £200k Niesmann & Bischoff or equivalent best from a dealer.

4. Depends on the size of the dogs and whether you or your wife have special needs. The bigger the dogs, the greater the floor space you will need.

Some people find hiring a motorhome first is a good idea. I'm not one of them. Hiring only gives you the nice bits of motorhoming not the hassle that come from maintaining a motorhome and the pain of watching it depreciate on your drive.

Buying a few magazines with adverts in them will give you a feel for what you'll be able to afford and the sort of lifestyle on offer.

Hi Dave,

Q1 Am I mad?

Yes, most definitely, we all are :D

Weight, weight, weight and weight!

First Max vehicle weight you can drive on your licence (search C1), second payload, third axle weights and fourth vehicle max weight (GVW or MTPLM)

Depends what you want to buy and budget, ie new or S/H.

A lot of people travel with dogs but are you really planning on a four berth purely because of the dogs? Surely all they need is floor space?

And then I'll agree with what everyone else has already answered but stress again WEIGHT!!!

Keith.

As has been said above go to a few shows to see them and get some idea.

Also I would try hiring one for a week a few days however hire company's not too keen on dogs.

Everyone has there own ideas front lounge back lounge fixed beds, size what you fit in where you are keeping it. and finally budget.

Someone told me it takes you three vans before you get it right, well I am on number 2 and that has all the things I need.

That's my view on this.

Campbell

Campfos - 2016-09-07 8:54 PM

"Someone told me it takes you three vans before you get it right"

We obviously struck lucky in getting it right first time. We bought our first van in 2005 and replaced it with a newer model earlier this year. Having looked at pretty much every layout available couldn't find anything that suited better than what we already had so bought the same again.

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum.

I will ask firstly , have you ever taken a caravan or camping holiday, or do you use hotels or b ad b places.

In other words do you like creature comforts or what.

buying and running a motorhome is an expensive addition to a holiday.. how many cruises could you have for the same price .

have you considered running costs and maintenance charges, both for base vehicle and habitation side.

What about insurance costs.. and does you driving licence cover you for vans over 3500 weight.. 4 berths below that weight might be a bit small for 2 adults and 2 dogs..check it out..how big are the dogs?

As already suggested, go around the dealers, shows etc, preferably with the dogs to check space etc. (Will dealers be happy ?)

We started with a VW camper and 2 young children years ago and over the years have been through various caravans, and progressed through several different motorhomes . Now well retired so have had lots of different experiences in both uk and abroad.

Recommendation..go for it..you only live once.

tonyg3nwl

HIRE ONE!!!

There are lots of dog friendly motorhome hire outlets around.

When you hire one, it will answer Q1 about your sanity... At worst, you've lost £800 (but saved tens of thousands?) and at best you've had a great week away and confirmed your suspicions that motorhoming life is for you B-)

I went down the hire route, I thought motorhoming looked like great fun and sure enough, after a week of hiring one (with our dog!) that was it, I was bitten by the bug instantly :-S

Ok just relaised my post was not a response to the person I was replying to but went at the end. So just to say i am really pleased to have received such wonderful expert insights from myou all. I will work through these ideas as we go looking at some motorhomes this weekend.

Many many thanks to you all.

I amy come back on some of these after I have done some research so i hope you don't mind me doing this

Best wishes and enjoy the late summer sun if you are in the UK this weekend

Dave

Hi Dave.

We too are new to MHg having bought our van 2 months ago. If it helps I can offer the following advice:-

Dealers - we bought a new van from one of the well known dealers in Nottinghamshire. Expecting a certain level of service comencerat with the outlay, we were soon left feeling like second rate citizens! Do not expect the same professionalism as you would buying a new car. It just isn't.

Weights. Just because you have a big payload together with a big boot doesn't mean to say you can put much in your boot. We can't! It's all about the mix between payload, axle ratings and rear overhangs. Again our dealer failed to mention any of this, you just find out when you visit a weigh bridge.

Our fury friends - think about securing your loved one whilst travelling, no not her - the dog. We put a harness on our Retriever and attach that via its lead to a seat belt, works well.

Think about leaving your dog alone in your new pride and joy - we haven't plucked up the courage yet.

So it all sounds a bit negative. Until you have it sitting on your drive.

'Look at those two sat in that motor home on their drive drinking a cup of tea'.

You will do it too and no you are not mad!

Then you go on your first trip in Norman, yes ours is called Norman. What a joy!!!

The best of luck Dave but remember those loading WEIGHTS.

ColandNat - 2016-09-16 9:13 PM

Hi Dave.

Weights. Just because you have a big payload together with a big boot doesn't mean to say you can put much in your boot. We can't! It's all about the mix between payload, axle ratings and rear overhangs. Again our dealer failed to mention any of this, you just find out when you visit a weigh bridge.

The best of luck Dave but remember those loading WEIGHTS.

And going back a week...

Keithl - 2016-09-07 8:49 PM

Weight, weight, weight and weight!

First Max vehicle weight you can drive on your licence (search C1), second payload, third axle weights and fourth vehicle max weight (GVW or MTPLM)

And then I'll agree with what everyone else has already answered but stress again WEIGHT!!!

Keith.

Archived