Bike rack warning signs - Italy

Steve928

I think that I'm correct in saying that the cheap plastic Fiamma sign isn't good enough for Italy and that you need the expensive metal, fully- reflective one? We're planning to enter Italy at the Colle della Maddalena and leave 150km later at the Tunnel de Tende tomorrow. Is our plastic sign going to be an issue or doesn't anyone bother about it in reality?

We bought the aluminium one especially for Italy........................it is reflective all over rather than just in the corners.

Seemed a real hassle BUT if you should be in an accident it gives wriggle room to the insurance companies.

"If they had the legal plate I would have not run into the back of them"

Of course it's all unlikely but once I know there's something "wrong" I can't relax

We've used the bog standard one on a few trips and never any problems.

Before our first trip I phoned the Italian tourist board and they told me to contact the Caravan Club for more information!!

Did pop into a motorhome dealer in Perugia and they only sold the plastic ones.

Another internet forum myth perhaps?

I had the plastic one but drove over it on a Sosta on Lake Maggiore and it was never the same after that. :D

It finally fell completely to bits in Spain last year. I noticed half the vans never had them on anyway so I just binned it.

I suspect the Aluminium / plastic thing might be a real law but not one thats enforced. The fact that so many vehicles drive around without them on at all speaks volumes. IF you have made the effort with a plastic one that should be enough.

Guest pelmetman

I dunno if its another urban myth, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that in Europe, the word Fiamma should be the right way up, and in the UK upside down :D ........

pelmetman - 2016-09-10 7:22 PM

I dunno if its another urban myth, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that in Europe, the word Fiamma should be the right way up, and in the UK upside down :D ........

The strips or stripes should always point downwards in the direction of the overtaking side, which is basically what you have said. A retired copper I know told me that in the UK failure to comply is a traffic offence.

starvin marvin - 2016-09-10 9:21 PM

pelmetman - 2016-09-10 7:22 PM

The strips or stripes should always point downwards in the direction of the overtaking side, which is basically what you have said. A retired copper I know told me that in the UK failure to comply is a traffic offence.

Turning the stripes upside down will not change the direction of the stripes. You need to turn the sign on its 'side'.

Archived