90 day plus travel (medical insurance ) any ideas please?

Fionadb1

Good morning

We are off again, and plan on a European tour, but would like not to have the 90 day travel insurance rule, namely having to return to the Uk every 90 days to ensure it is valid. Has anyone found a reasonably priced policy, that will cover medical problems which might occur, worst cast being repatriated back to the UK. We both have a couple of existing medical conditions nothing major but would need those covered too. The best price I can find is £980 for 6 monthsand excluding existing. When travelling such a pain to keep coming back, ans not sure where we will be and when to pre book flights!!!! All help really appreciated, we have uk address.

starvin marvin - 2016-09-11 12:28 PM

You could consider moving your current a/c to the Nationwide and take out a Flexplus a/c. You will get travel insurance that you can extend, even into worldwide cover for an additional fee. Check it out. The cost will depend on length of time and any pre existing medical conditions that interests them.

We have ours with Nationwide. We only have 90 days extension as that suits us. have medical conditions , and age extension . (over 75) Paid £140.00

PJay

Definately LV.

Cheapest and Which recommended.

Camping and caravanning club ok but a maximum of 90 days a trip up to 180 days in one year so limiting. LV for us 76 and 59 with medical conditions around £460 this year. Hubby being over 75 bumps prices up every year!!!!

CHRIS

Just seen you want more than 90 days. Staysure do a long term travel insurance for up to 6 months. CCC too. Best bet is to get your house insured with Comfort and then you can take out up to a year at a time. you must have house insurance with them though. Otherwise you need to be looking for "single trip long term insurance"

Camping & Caravan Club house insurance allows 180 days away from home and is competitive. We added our electric bikes to policy, £2500 each, and this year's policy was £261 for a 2 bedroom semi.

We used to pay CCC £200 for 180 day travel insurance plus £9 as my wife has a pacemaker as she has Arrythmia. When she reached 70 the cost of insuring her Arrythmia medical condition went from £9 to £420 which we declined.

We moved to LV but if you are over 65 there is a limit of 90 days per trip on ALL policies

John

Caravan and Camping Club do the 180 days.....most others are only 90 days.

Also taking out the house insurance with them which again is up to 180 days with conditions.

I think that in the event of a claim (say for theft.............personal possessions) they could not try to weasil out of if it was responsibility of house or travel insurance.

Don't know anyone else who does 180 days at the same price..............would love to hear different

webby1 - 2016-09-12 8:39 PM

Caravan and Camping Club do the 180 days.....most others are only 90 days.

Also taking out the house insurance with them which again is up to 180 days with conditions.

I think that in the event of a claim (say for theft.............personal possessions) they could not try to weasil out of if it was responsibility of house or travel insurance.

Don't know anyone else who does 180 days at the same price..............would love to hear different

I'm happy to be proved wrong, but my understanding is that although C&CC insurance covers 180 days absence per year, the maximum that can be taken in any one trip is 90 days. However, I am unclear whether this also applies to medical insurance, which I believe is the intended subject of this query.

We have used Insue&Go before - tried searching for pre existing conditions medical cover.

Now we have the van insured with Comfort which does give the option of extended stays (we have pre existing conditions which raises it slightly but nowhere near the level you have been quoted) and, as Chrus mentions above, we needed to extend the house/contents insurance to cover the extended absence. The house insurance we had wouldn't even look at iit but Comfort also have this if you take out their van insurance.

Taking the van, house and travel/medical insurance together they are cheaper than we paid separately previously and are getting extended cover.

David

Caravan and Camping Club do extend their house insurance to 180 days with conditions of a weekly visit and minimum temperatures in Winter (with Canopius)

Reason I mention it with travel/medical insurance (also 180 days single trip) is my sister had a lot of trouble with her insurance as to whether personal possessions were covered by house or travel/medical insurance.........if they are with same company(though different underwriters)there might be less wriggle room.

Brian Kirby - 2016-09-12 10:42 PM

I'm happy to be proved wrong, but my understanding is that although C&CC insurance covers 180 days absence per year, the maximum that can be taken in any one trip is 90 days. However, I am unclear whether this also applies to medical insurance, which I believe is the intended subject of this query.

Brian

I don't know about the C&CC as i'm not a member but in reference to your emboldened, that's relevant to the NHS regs quoted in *that letter* i received from the DoH over "exiting the UK for longer than 3 months with pre-existing medical conditions". But medical conditions or not, i'd advise the OP speak with their GP and local NHS before jumping in the van and driving off.

There's more to it than just medical insurance.

Thank you everyone, now I am sorted, what a nightmare!!!!!!

Eventually plumped with Aviva, multi trip with a 90 day extension, which includes as many of those as I like in one year . The 6 month policies are ok, but if you have to return to the UK within the 6 month term it completely invalidates the policy.

Bizarrely I had to take a worldwide policy as the medical condition I have (stent in my leg) would not be covered just for Europe, but they will cover me if I am in Europe!

Prem £507.00 and that is a pretty comprehensive policy including all ailments!!!!!!!

Yes, there are probably cheaper, but methinks you get what you pay for, so will just use the return trips back to see friends!!!!,

Thank you all so much.

Bulletguy - 2016-09-13 1:16 PM

Brian Kirby - 2016-09-12 10:42 PM

Brian

I don't know about the C&CC as i'm not a member but in reference to your emboldened, that's relevant to the NHS regs quoted in *that letter* i received from the DoH over "exiting the UK for longer than 3 months with pre-existing medical conditions". But medical conditions or not, i'd advise the OP speak with their GP and local NHS before jumping in the van and driving off.

There's more to it than just medical insurance.

I would advise the opposite Paul. The machinations of the doctors contracts with the NHS, and their contractual stipulations over whether or not one can remain registered, or whether one's GP is "allowed" to prescribe medication for periods exceeding 90 days, must be presumed to be known and understood by firms offering medical insurance.

I would regard that knowledge as being an essential pre-requisite for entering the medical insurance field. I would therefore argue that any insurance company offering medical insurance for periods in excess of 90 days must do so in the full knowledge of the risk implications of that insurance. The insurance is against costs if one becomes ill while abroad, so NHS strictures to UK doctors would not be relevant.

From the point of view of one's relationship with one's GP, I think "let sleeping dogs lie", is the better maxim. Why provoke a situation that need not arise, by placing the GP in a position where you declare yourself before the event as a witness to their interpretation (or even ignorance!) of the NHS rules? What would be the advantage to either party? Why not just trust the GP to use their professional judgement in the best interests of their patient?

Brian Kirby - 2016-09-14 5:32 PM

I would advise the opposite Paul. The machinations of the doctors contracts with the NHS, and their contractual stipulations over whether or not one can remain registered, or whether one's GP is "allowed" to prescribe medication for periods exceeding 90 days, must be presumed to be known and understood by firms offering medical insurance.

DoH are crystal clear on it with their law. 90 day max. But as both you and i know, many regularly exit for much longer periods without problem and still remain on GP's lists and use NHS services. I could get away with the NHS part......but not my GP.

I would regard that knowledge as being an essential pre-requisite for entering the medical insurance field. I would therefore argue that any insurance company offering medical insurance for periods in excess of 90 days must do so in the full knowledge of the risk implications of that insurance.

You would hope they do so 'in full knowledge' wouldn't you? But medical insurance is like any other insurance. They readily take payment for a premium but are not particularly happy when a claim is made and it can catch anyone out.

The tyre fitting place i use told me about one of their customers involved in an accident. As the damage costs were fairly high they sent an assessor to look the vehicle over. He found the tyres despite having ample tread were the wrong speed rating for the car. The company refused to settle the claim.

From the point of view of one's relationship with one's GP, I think "let sleeping dogs lie", is the better maxim. Why provoke a situation that need not arise, by placing the GP in a position where you declare yourself before the event as a witness to their interpretation (or even ignorance!) of the NHS rules? What would be the advantage to either party? Why not just trust the GP to use their professional judgement in the best interests of their patient?

I have and do, but they don't make it easy. The latest craziness is i've just been told today they are going electronic on prescriptions. When i asked the receptionist what that was all about she said, "so your prescriptions will be sent electronically to the Pharmacist and you won't need to call the GP for repeats".

In other words.....they want to tie me permanently to one Pharmacy only. I told her that's no use to me because i'm not using the same Pharmacist all the time. I want to choose who i use and where. I've finally managed to extract myself from the village idiot Pharmacist and have no intention of returning there. Hopefully i can opt out of their electronic 'watchdog control'. Infact what i would prefer is to go back to single issue prescriptions as that would make it easier to build up an extra month without them realising.

Archived