BBC signal?......

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Now we is homeless......and have been wandering the UK since April.......Why is the BBC signal so cr*p? :-S .......

Glad I haven't bothered to buy a licence coz I'd be right annoyed :D ..........

pelmetman - 2016-09-11 8:29 PM

Now we is homeless......and have been wandering the UK since April.......Why is the BBC signal so cr*p? :-S .......

Maybe you haven't bothered to buy a proper aerial either? :D

Metal coat hangers are no good for Digital TV signals. ;-)

Guest pelmetman
Keithl - 2016-09-11 9:08 PM

Dave,

What aerial are you using and how are you aligning it?

Keith.

We have a status aerial so no aligning required, and currently watching Independence Day on Channel 5 with no issues, it also pics up digital channels in France & Spain ;-) .........

Guest pelmetman
747 - 2016-09-11 8:39 PM

pelmetman - 2016-09-11 8:29 PM

Maybe you haven't bothered to buy a proper aerial either? :D

Metal coat hangers are no good for Digital TV signals. ;-)

I'll have you know its a proper aerial that I bought new almost 20 years ago ;-) .......After my metal coat hanger type got knocked off by low flying trees *-).......

pelmetman - 2016-09-11 9:12 PM

Dave,

Keith.

We have a status aerial so no aligning required, and currently watching Independence Day on Channel 5 with no issues, it also pics up digital channels in France & Spain ;-) .........

Dave,

The old Status Omni-directional aerials are very poor at receiving Digital TV signals. Your best bet would be to nip down your local caravan dealers and pick up a Status Image 420 caravan aerial and a suitable mounting pole. We mount ours either off the bike rack or bike rack mounting brackets when we want to use it as we don't always take a TV away.

http://www.visionplus.co.uk/shop/image-420-uhf-antenna-digital-and-analogue-reception.html

http://www.visionplus.co.uk/shop/vision-plus-masts-brackets/

To align to the transmitter I either get a compass bearing from this website and use an orienteering compass

https://ukfree.tv/prediction

or use a signal finder to get the strongest signal

http://www.visionplus.co.uk/shop/vision-plus-tv-signal-finder.html

HTH,

Keith.

Guest pelmetman
Robbo - 2016-09-11 9:22 PM

Do you have an omni-directional aerial or directional Status aerial ? It seems strange that you are picking up foreign stations unless you are near Dover.

Its the space ship shape omni-directional ;-) .......

I mean't when we are abroad we can pick up the local tv signals without issue, the problem appears to be only in the UK with BBC channels, I'm assuming all tv channels are beamed from one local transmitter?.....Yet the signal strength for ITV channels are fine :-S .......

Guest pelmetman
Keithl - 2016-09-12 7:19 AM

pelmetman - 2016-09-11 9:12 PM

Dave,

Keith.

Dave,

The old Status Omni-directional aerials are very poor at receiving Digital TV signals. Your best bet would be to nip down your local caravan dealers and pick up a Status Image 420 caravan aerial and a suitable mounting pole. We mount ours either off the bike rack or bike rack mounting brackets when we want to use it as we don't always take a TV away.

http://www.visionplus.co.uk/shop/image-420-uhf-antenna-digital-and-analogue-reception.html

http://www.visionplus.co.uk/shop/vision-plus-masts-brackets/

To align to the transmitter I either get a compass bearing from this website and use an orienteering compass

or use a signal finder to get the strongest signal

http://www.visionplus.co.uk/shop/vision-plus-tv-signal-finder.html

HTH,

Keith.

I guess that's a option, but as we intend to spend only July/August in the UK for the next few years....... we'll just have to manage without Eastenders B-) ..........

pelmetman - 2016-09-12 9:13 AM

...the problem appears to be only in the UK with BBC channels, I'm assuming all tv channels are beamed from one local transmitter?.....Yet the signal strength for ITV channels are fine :-S .......

Dave,

I'll try and explain as far as my understanding goes...

Digital TV is transmitted in groups of channels on different frequencies, I believe called Multiplex channels. Some aerials receive one group of Multiplex channels better than others, hence why you may get some channels and not others in spite of coming from the same transmitter.

To show my point go the UKFree.TV website

then type in your postcode and click the 'TV Full Details' tab. You should then see a list of Multiplexed channels and the frequencies they are transmitted on. You will probably find if you cannot receive one channel in a Multiplex then you will not get any of the others from that particular multiplex group.

PS Click on the 'Transmitter' heading to order the list by transmitter.

Does that help or complicate things further (?)

Keith.

Omni antenna's will never get you a decent signal unless you are either close to the transmitter or are still close-ish have line of sight to it.

Directional freeview antenna is the answer, and a wee signal finder that lets you point it properly. Depends how much you are moving around.

Most of my touring is in Scotland, gave up on freeview a long time ago, used to have a dish on a tripod (£100), now have a dome on the roof (£1000). So long as trees not in the way, I never fail to get a signal. Downside with Sat is that 12V freesat tuners dont exist so you are stuck with Free-To-Air, and FTA has an utterly rubbish 'EPG'.

Nigel

Guest pelmetman
Will86 - 2016-09-12 10:54 AM

You must live a pretty dull life if watching East Enders is your forte.

The radio is King for the homeless, works anywhere, dozens of themes and dialects are available.

Not me Will......Its er in doors who likes it ;-) ..........Although I'm starting to think my Status is a blessing in disguise, so long as I can get "Wheeler dealers", and "Carry on camping" :D ........

Guest pelmetman
Keithl - 2016-09-12 12:30 PM

Does that help or complicate things further (?)

Keith.

Thanks for the info Keith.......I guess its Jeremy Kyle from now on 8-) ..........

One of these worked well for us in the UK and abroad although I can't guarantee it will for you too!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TTYP2CE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ours is fixed on t'roof as an omni directional with booster in t'wardrobe but some people we met in France with the same aerial reckon it works better as a directional aerial when moved about high up on a twisty pole but I can't be faffing about with that and it worked well enough as it is and was simple enough to fit.

Has to be better than Jeremy Kyle - although BBC daytime is pretty dire too!

It's a lot more expensive than we paid in 2014 and the same item with signal booster is probably available cheaper if you look around a bit.

Hi, just remember that the uhf tv signals coverage is limited by local geography, if you have a clear line of sight from you location to the transmitter that you wish to watch, then the average caravan type aerial will probably work, BUT if you are the remotest wilds in the bottom of a deep valley, and there is a mountain blocking your view of the nearest transmitter, then buy a good book.

you complain about bbc signals, but must remember that in any given service area, all the channels be it itv or ch 5 or ch4 are most likely being transmitted from the same mast, but on different multiplex channels. The uhf spectrum covers 450 to nearly 900 mhz, and the higher frequencies generally suffer propogation loss quicker than the lower frequencies. The transmitters are not run and operated by Bbc, or by Iba/itv these day, but by a single provider, so dont blame BBC. They only provide the programmes , although these days even the programmes are often Bought in , not made in house.

these comments apply to terrestial based services. Satellite tv comes from Astra satellites located in fixed orbit around the earth which are at 28.2 degrees east of due south on the meridian, so if you are located west of greenwich meridian, your dish has to point slighly further east in cornwall than it would in kent. Dish elevation woud need to be higher in south of england than the north of scotland.

tonyg3nwl

ex i ba engineer,

Dave. If your full timing you maybe should invest in a satellite system. I had the same issues with our status when when we first got the van and Invested in a camos dome.

If you don't want to shell out for one you can get satellite suitcase jobs from Aldi for about £50. Just think of the hours of fun others will get watching you faff on with it for hours before loosing your rag and hoofing it :D

Or, use wifi and a laptop and watch TV online

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2016-09-14 7:51 PM

Dave. If your full timing you maybe should invest in a satellite system. I had the same issues with our status when when we first got the van and Invested in a camos dome.

If you don't want to shell out for one you can get satellite suitcase jobs from Aldi for about £50. Just think of the hours of fun others will get watching you faff on with it for hours before loosing your rag and hoofing it :D

Or, use wifi and a laptop and watch TV online

Got a suitcase system going cheap if you want it? ;-) .......But I suspect we'll make do with my 3 dongle now it works abroad, though I'm aware it does use up the data rather quickly :-( ......

When on our winter pitch in Spain I can get a local satellite company to fit a humongous dish on my pitch for 99 euros :D .........

pelmetman - 2016-09-14 10:29 PM

When on our winter pitch in Spain I can get a local satellite company to fit a humongous dish on my pitch for 99 euros :D .........

Some of these big dishes and LNBs are capable of running several systems so it might be worth chatting to both an installer and to your site neighbours about cost sharing?

When we purchased our latest van it had a whip Ariel on the roof when I asked (I thought it was to do with the DAB radio) I was informed it was an omnidirectional Ariel after i finished laughing I went away thinking that will never work, but it does and quite well at that, there are time when it dosen't receive all channels but in the main its okay, even on one site where they had t hook up cables the picture wasn't so bad.

Pete

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2016-09-15 9:20 AM

pelmetman - 2016-09-14 10:29 PM

Some of these big dishes and LNBs are capable of running several systems so it might be worth chatting to both an installer and to your site neighbours about cost sharing?

I cant see the installers being keen on that idea, as they've got a nice little earner putting up dishes for the Brits since the BBC shrunk the footprint ;-) ........

I can set up my suitcase dish, but even though I can get the odd news channel in English, everything else in English is mostly God bothering 8-) ......

Archived