DVLA licence at 70

starvin marvin

starvin marvin - 2016-09-12 11:03 AMApologies, I've searched the forums and found no matches, so the question I have, does anyone have any recent experience of the time taken for the DVLA renewing a driving licence which retains what is sometimes referred to as" grandfather rights".Many thanks

Apologies, it may not be the same thing, but I applied for the new style licence, as my old pink paper one was literally falling to pieces.

I applied online, they asked for the usual details, but they also asked for my passport N0: as well. Paid over the web via their secure system

My new style licence arrived inside a week. They had uploaded the picture onto my licence via the passport office. Very clever of them

Checked my entitlements and all were correct, but have still kept my paper licence.

very quick service, hope this helps in some way.

starvin marvin - 2016-09-12 11:03 AM

Apologies, I've searched the forums and found no matches, so the question I have, does anyone have any recent experience of the time taken for the DVLA renewing a driving licence which retains what is sometimes referred to as" grandfather rights".

Many thanks

If it is your first time (over 70) you may have to have a medical, if you want to drive over 3500. As to response from DVLA, we have always found them very fast

PJay

Apologies, I've searched the forums and found no matches, so the question I have, does anyone have any recent experience of the time taken for the DVLA renewing a driving licence which retains what is sometimes referred to as" grandfather rights".

Many thanks

Yes, i gave up my C1E license this June, as i didnt fancy medicals every 3 years, just to hang on to my 4250kg Coachbuilt plus towcar. Had heart surgery last year. Have now downsized to 3500kg PVC. Although crazily I COULD, if i felt like it, tow a Caravan upto 3500kg as well !! With my B Plus E license.

My new license came through within 2 weeks, keep a photo copy of your old license in case they leave anything you might need off of the new one.I was keen to keep my full motorcycle licence.

Rayjsj - 2016-09-12 6:15 PM

Many thanks

Yes, i gave up my C1E license this June, as i didnt fancy medicals every 3 years, just to hang on to my 4250kg Coachbuilt plus towcar. Had heart surgery last year. Have now downsized to 3500kg PVC. Although crazily I COULD, if i felt like it, tow a Caravan upto 3500kg as well !! With my B Plus E license.

My new license came through within 2 weeks, keep a photo copy of your old license in case they leave anything you might need off of the new one.I was keen to keep my full motorcycle licence.

Useful tip, thanks.

Harvey - 2016-09-12 5:41 PM

My wife posted her forms and medical report ( to retain her C1 ) on 26th July and received her new licence by 4th August.

H

Thats what I'm doing, got myself an appointment with driversmedicals.com at Lincoln on Thurs for £58. Its just that I need my licence back before the end of Oct.

Thanks for the info.

You get the documents sent a few months before your birthday, the new licence runs from the date the completed application is received, not your birthday, but you can still drive while it is being processed if all is in order. Hgv/taxi doctors do several a day, are cheaper and know what needs to be filled in.

Billggski - 2016-09-13 11:50 AM

You get the documents sent a few months before your birthday, the new licence runs from the date the completed application is received, not your birthday, but you can still drive while it is being processed if all is in order. Hgv/taxi doctors do several a day, are cheaper and know what needs to be filled in.

My renewal anniversary is now well past my birth date due to delays by DVLA and forms were submitted 90 days before birthday. No logic.

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

Posted my new licence application to retain my existing vehicle classes to DVLA on Fri 24/09, got my new licence today 29/09, in my view that's about as fast as I could expect. So happy days. Used Cotswold Medicals at Lincoln, which offered me the quickest appointment, for £58, my GP wanted £80 without the eye test! Slightly surprised that you don't get a paper copy anymore.

This was my 2nd go at it as I omitted to answer one question, again they returned it to me within a week, completely my fault.

Archived