Pilote Galaxy 270 2003 tax

4dogsontour

I am very interested in a Pilote Galaxy 270 (2003). This will be my first motorhome so I have no experience of tax and insurance costs.

The vehicle weighs more than 3500 tonne (3850) and is A Class so I am concerned road tax may be high.

Are there any Galaxy owners who could advise me how much road tax might cost per annum? I have looked at the Government website and cannot work it out as there are so many categories. I was born 1959 so I can drive this class of vehicle.

Thanks

Frank

Randonneur - 2016-09-13 5:18 PM

But don't forget that you will be subject to reduced speed limits with a van over 3500kgs. Swings and roundabouts.

Sorry Randonneur but that is INCORRECT!

You are only limited to lower speed limits if your UNLADEN weight is greater than 3,050 kg. That is actually 3 old English tons.

See the third and forth lines here...

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

Keith.

Keithl - 2016-09-13 5:32 PM

But don't forget that you will be subject to reduced speed limits with a van over 3500kgs. Swings and roundabouts.

You are only limited to lower speed limits if your UNLADEN weight is greater than 3,050 kg. That is actually 3 old English tons.

Keith.

If you are correct, why do these vehicles have to display speed limit signs.

Randonneur - 2016-09-13 6:15 PM

Keith.

Sorry but I was unaware of having to display speed limit signs, do you have any info to back this up please?

Keith.

Billggski - 2016-09-13 6:30 PM

Yes, unladen weight is an anomaly, left over from the old days.

The unladen weight is the bare vehicle without fittings so most moho's will be OK, and all on the Fiat light chassis wold be fine.

So fourdogsontour needs to check their licence for C1 entitlement , pre 1997 test.

So, based on the above and taking the regulations to the extreme - my A Class MH arrived at the converter with a bare cab and ALCO chassis which probably weighed 2500Kg max.

My van is rated at 4250Kg so probably built on the heavy chassis. Add the basic cab/chassis plus the roof and walls without the internal fittings and it might come in at under 3050Kg.

This is obviously a grey area and probably hasn't been challenged in the courts - unless of course, anyone knows otherwise ????

Robbo - 2016-09-13 7:20 PM

The unladen weight is the bare vehicle without fittings so most moho's will be OK, and all on the Fiat light chassis wold be fine.

So fourdogsontour needs to check their licence for C1 entitlement , pre 1997 test.

So, based on the above and taking the regulations to the extreme - my A Class MH arrived at the converter with a bare cab and ALCO chassis which probably weighed 2500Kg max.

My van is rated at 4250Kg so probably built on the heavy chassis. Add the basic cab/chassis plus the roof and walls without the internal fittings and it might come in at under 3050Kg.

This is obviously a grey area and probably hasn't been challenged in the courts - unless of course, anyone knows otherwise ????

Robbo,

Unladen weight has a definition in law...

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-weights-explained

So basically the vehicle fully fitted out but with all tanks, etc empty and no driver or passengers.

And I agree it is a very grey area!

I have calculated the 'theoretical' unladen weight for our AT from the brochure figure when new plus additions (eg towbar) and minus items removed (eg TV Aerial) and arrived at a figure of just 2,945 kg BUT most importantly under 3,050 kg. I have my calculations and would be prepared to argue my case with an officer of the law, how would they defend their side other than force me to remove all loose items and empty my tanks (fuel included)?

Keith.

Keithl - 2016-09-13 7:58 PM

Robbo - 2016-09-13 7:20 PM

Robbo,

Unladen weight has a definition in law...

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-weights-explained

So basically the vehicle fully fitted out but with all tanks, etc empty and no driver or passengers.

And I agree it is a very grey area!

I have calculated the 'theoretical' unladen weight for our AT from the brochure figure when new plus additions (eg towbar) and minus items removed (eg TV Aerial) and arrived at a figure of just 2,945 kg BUT most importantly under 3,050 kg. I have my calculations and would be prepared to argue my case with an officer of the law, how would they defend their side other than force me to remove all loose items and empty my tanks (fuel included)?

Keith.

Many thanks for the information Keith. I somehow doubt whether my van will crawl under the magic figure of 3050Kg *-)

Keithl - 2016-09-13 6:22 PM

Randonneur - 2016-09-13 6:15 PM

Keith.

Sorry but I was unaware of having to display speed limit signs, do you have any info to back this up please?

Keith.

Not in UK Keith, but in other EU states? Incidentally, the lower speed limits abroad are determined by MAM and not unladen weight. As your MAM is written on your VIN plate, there would be no case to argue! :-)

Robbo - 2016-09-13 7:20 PM..........................So, based on the above and taking the regulations to the extreme - my A Class MH arrived at the converter with a bare cab and ALCO chassis which probably weighed 2500Kg max.......................

But it can be proved via a weighbridge. I take new vans to a weighbridge empty (all loose equipment removed) except for a full tank of fuel. (Diesel weighs about 0.85kg/litre, so calculating the weight of a full tank is quite straightforward)

If the weighbridge ticket shows less that 3,050kg I keep it with the other van docs. (If the ticket showed over 3.050kg and the weight of the fuel in the tank would bring it below, I would make the deduction for fuel as a note, and would be prepared - within reason - to argue my case. If over 3,050 I would simply accept that the lower speed limits would apply in UK.

There were a spate of reported "tickets" issued by police officers (who had the "unladen" thing round their respective necks!) a few years back, so being stopped on suspicion of exceeding the limit is not out of the question. It seems to me easier to be able to prove to the officer at the time that you are legal, and wish him a polite "good day", than to have to go through the ensuing faff of challenging your ticket in court, but that's just me! :-D

Archived