Oh b*****er!

Billggski

Just loaded the Moho for the tunnel on Thursday, thought I'd fill up and check the tyres, ....... no power, lumpy idle, loads of smoke, unable to move!

Aviva (RAC) breakdown took an age to recover it as it was down my 200yard drive in a corner and they wouldn't take the recovery lorry down, "not allowed", " health and safety" so had to pull it out with another truck.

Got to the local garage, fuel pump leaking so air in the diesel.

Easy fix, but only just back from 450 mile trip to the Goodwood Revival, and about to head to south of Spain, so lucky or what? Could have gone anywhere.

Billggski - 2016-09-13 6:22 PM

Just loaded the Moho for the tunnel on Thursday, thought I'd fill up and check the tyres, ....... no power, lumpy idle, loads of smoke, unable to move!

Aviva (RAC) breakdown took an age to recover it as it was down my 200yard drive in a corner and they wouldn't take the recovery lorry down, "not allowed", " health and safety" so had to pull it out with another truck.

Got to the local garage, fuel pump leaking so air in the diesel.

Easy fix, but only just back from 450 mile trip to the Goodwood Revival, and about to head to south of Spain, so lucky or what? Could have gone anywhere.

Yes......lucky!!! Damned lucky!!!

My pump failed big time in Belgium last year putting the engine in "limp mode" so had to abort planned tour and get the van back to UK. Lucas Epic pumps are no longer made so found someone who converts Bosch mechanical pumps to run on Ford TDi engines.

That episode put a £600 dent in the bank balance!

Before buying and running a motorhome a wealth warning should be given as all motorhomes are thrown together as a collection of bits under a strict application of 'Professor Soddes's Law' .

This unbreakable Law decrees that anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, usually at the most inconvenient and expensve moment - and anyone who gets away with it - is bloomin' lucky!

We are now vanless but even a van that has been totally faultless for 18 months just had to have it's tantrums before it left us!!

Tracker - 2016-09-14 9:41 AM

Before buying and running a motorhome a wealth warning should be given as all motorhomes are thrown together as a collection of bits under a strict application of 'Professor Soddes's Law' .

This unbreakable Law decrees that anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, usually at the most inconvenient and expensve moment - and anyone who gets away with it - is bloomin' lucky!

We are now vanless but even a van that has been totally faultless for 18 months just had to have it's tantrums before it left us!!

You've sold it then Rich? How did you sell it, if I may ask please

PJay

PJay - 2016-09-14 10:11 AM

You've sold it then Rich? How did you sell it, if I may ask please

PJay

Not quite!

As we are in no great rush to sell, it's gone to Wilkins Motorhomes near Stroud on brokerage and will soon be on their website. I just don't feel up to handling a sale etc and the brokerage deal is, I think, good.

I've known the Wilkins family for a lot of years and although I have never bought a van from them they do have a good reputation.

Tracker - 2016-09-14 10:42 AM
PJay - 2016-09-14 10:11 AMYou've sold it then Rich? How did you sell it, if I may ask pleasePJay
Not quite!As we are in no great rush to sell, it's gone to Wilkins Motorhomes near Stroud on brokerage and will soon be on their website. I just don't feel up to handling a sale etc and the brokerage deal is, I think, good.I've known the Wilkins family for a lot of years and although I have never bought a van from them they do have a good reputation.

Brokerage is a good option because they can offer finance etc and should yield at least as much as selling privately because they get a better price. Good luck!

StuartO - 2016-09-14 10:53 AM

Brokerage is a good option because they can offer finance etc and should yield at least as much as selling privately because they get a better price. Good luck!

Thanks Stuart, that's the plan anyway!

Wilkins valeter does all the washing and polishing by hand and he does a first class job whereas local people wanted to use machines which I am not keen on particularly on a GRP body.

The agreed price does indeed represent at least as much if not more that I would expect to get selling privately and I get no hassle plus any buyer gets the peace of mind of buying from a known source with px, warranty, finance etc from an established dealer not out to catch anyone.

Archived