Satelite TV

Rondon

For the last year or so i have been looking at buying a cheap manual system myself and have been following with interest all the threads on satelite but thanks to MMM and RoadPro i have just had an Alden fully automatic system fitted free of charge as Andrew Harris of Roadpro was kind enough to ring me up recently when i was on holiday in Portugal to tell me i was the lucky winner of the August competition in MMMs magazine.

We shall really enjoy it during our retirement, I never thought i could afford such a lovely system it really is simple to use and very good.

Thank you MMM and Roadpro.

Ron Donovan

Been in Maplins today. There are about 5 different systems, all digital. The £69 is a basic portable system in cardboard box. For £79 you get the plastic case with a compass with the different satellites marked plus different fixing brackets. Both of these systems are 12 volts and come with a 35cm dish.

There are other systems for £79 with up to 80cm dish, these are 240 volt units. None of the systems I saw are suitable for sky, you would still have to use a Sky digibox. I settled on the £79 plastic carry case as it looked the easiest to set up and can be used anywhere with the correct size dish.

Clive

• 2 weeks later...

As an update to my last post, I have just returned from the Vendee region of France. I set up the system, it took a couple of minutes to sort out which bits I was using out the box. 2 mins. to plug in TV, Sat. unit and scart lead, 2 mins. to go thru the menu set up and I do not tell a lie, 2mins to get a signal from the Astra satellite for Sky. In all under 10 minutes to get British Tv. It took a little longer for the unit to scan all the channels in but it is the easiest unit I have yet installed. I could not get channels 4 or 5. Definately a kit to consider at a budget price.

Clive.

Guest Frank Wilkinson
I'm not surprised that you got to grips with the satellite system so easily as people from Bolton are very intelligent!

Hi Clive

Did you get the freeveiw channels ? and have you tried it in this country? its good news that its easy to set up as usually with all this up todate stuff we need to call on our Sons for help!!!!We havent tried it yet as Father Christmas hasn't been yet. (lol)

maggyd - 2006-12-19 9:23 PM

Hi Clive

Did you get the freeveiw channels ? and have you tried it in this country? its good news that its easy to set up as usually with all this up todate stuff we need to call on our Sons for help!!!!We havent tried it yet as Father Christmas hasn't been yet. (lol)

Hope you are leaving plenty of hints around Maggyd

Flicka

Sadly to say I have not got a Freeview box as the Status airiel on my van is not very good. Also I use the Sky box at home.

On the satelite you get some of the Freeview channels, ie ITV2, 3, 4. BBC 3 and 4. Sky news. I have not got the listings for Freeview so cannot answer your question fully.

Back to the sat. dish. The reason I think it was so easy to line up was the little compass positioner that slots in the back of the dish and the fact the dish is only 35cm. I have installed different dishes and systems in different locations, 40cm, 60cm and 80cm motorised and with all of these after doing all the connections it has taken me nearly half an hour with no professional equipment to get a decent signal. Treat yourself now before it's too late. Nearly forgot, I have not tried it in this country, but there is no reason for it not to as long as it is lined up correctly.

Clive.

If you want a few tips on using sat equipment particularly at the fringes of the "footprint" please take a look at a posting I put on www.motorhometoday.co.uk under "top tips" - "satelite reception in Spain". Some of them apply equally to setting up in the UK.

Hope you enjoy the Christmas present.

Archived