Chatsworth CC Park

Pete-B

Hi, We're due to visit Chatsworth Caravan Club park in the near future. Once I park up the van stays where it is until we leave, so would be interested to hear from anyone whose been there, as to what's in the area.

We take our bikes, so it's either using them, walking or getting the bus ( courtesy of bus pass ), so would be good to know if there's any cycle tracks etc nearby.

Thanks for any help.

• 2 weeks later...
Pete-B - 2016-09-15 6:49 PM

Hi, We're due to visit Chatsworth Caravan Club park in the near future. Once I park up the van stays where it is until we leave, so would be interested to hear from anyone whose been there, as to what's in the area.

We take our bikes, so it's either using them, walking or getting the bus ( courtesy of bus pass ), so would be good to know if there's any cycle tracks etc nearby.

Thanks for any help.

We went to Chatsworth CC site last year - one of the few CC sites that takes an age to get a booking at.

There's a gate at the rear of the site which leads onto a footpath which takes you through Chatsworth House estate - I'm sure you'll be able to cycle on here. It really is a nice part of the world - especially within the estate. Going the other way - through the main gate, if you turn left after the rugby club, it takes you to Bakewell.

The road is a fast country A route which has a pavement that stops half way between the site and Bakewell. (We tried walking it with a pram but had to turn back due to it being such a fast road, didn't want to chance it) Although there's a few hills, I'm sure you'll manage them.

Leaving the bike, if you wanted to go to Bakewell, there's a bus service which runs past the front of the site.

Details at reception.

My advice would be to turn right out of the site and walk to the next bus stop rather than turn left into the village. the village is within a triangle of roads. We waited 3/4hrs and only bus went down the other road, so we walked down the other road and waited another 3/4hrs only for the bus to go down the next road and so on. A 15mins bus ride out turned out to be half a day. I think caravaners were surprised to see us eating our sandwiches only 10mins walk from the van - little did they know we'd spent all day between bus stops!

There's a couple of nice pubs in the village and a few little shops (right out of site entrance) and there's a pub & restaurant/hotel to left of site entrance.

If you rely on your satellite dish for TV, forget it. trees, trees & trees! Make up an aerial cable to connect to the site bollard - it's cheaper than buying a lead from the site shop (£22!)

We love this site. When we park the motorhome on site it stays put. We like to go on long walks with the dog (a little shorter now we are in our mid seventies) from this site you can walkout in all directions through glorious country side mainly easy going, buses run to local towns, then there's the house and gardens to visit in the park. There are frequent events such as international horse trials in the park. Booking early is essential especially if an event is on. A long entry road means arrivals are not permitted before one and difficult access leads to queues to book in, a two hour weight is not unknown. Try a be at the head of the queue to book in as some pitches are better than others. We walk through to Bakewell and get the bus back.

Archived