Squeaking Brakes ? SEVEL

HymerVan

I have a 2012 Citroen Relay (SEVEL) based campervan. It has done 32,000 miles and has been serviced per manufacturers recommendations (which do not I think at this stage involve checking brakes). Recently I have been conscious of the front brakes squeaking some of the time but now there is a similar squeak coming from the rear of the vehicle when the brakes are OFF. It may be associated with having used brakes continuously shortly before e.g. when descending steep hills. Braking when it is squeaking halts the squeak. It is very intermittent.

I have a reliable non franchised garage who look after the van and I will ask them to investigate but I wonder if anyone can give me heads up ?

Should also say perhaps squeak is not coming from brakes !!

HymerVan - 2016-09-17 10:49 AM

Apologies for my ignorance but what is a slide/slider ?A brake component perhaps ?

The brake calipers slide on pins. If they need cleaning the brake pad can stick in a position where it is slightly touching the rotating disc and squeaks or squeals.

Charles - 2016-09-17 1:26 PM

Ours squeals whilst braking gently, it's done it from new so not too bothered about it. 2014 boxer

My brakes also squeal with light pedal pressure - a bit embarrassing when traveling through urban areas.

Ironically, it only started after I had the brake fluid renewed. Since then the brakes have been completely stripped down and inspected. The mechanic removed any burrs from the disc pads. And the brakes still squeal under light braking. I've now learnt to live with it !!!

Robbo - 2016-09-17 2:51 PM

Ours squeals whilst braking gently, it's done it from new so not too bothered about it. 2014 boxer

My brakes also squeal with light pedal pressure - a bit embarrassing when traveling through urban areas.

Ironically, it only started after I had the brake fluid renewed. Since then the brakes have been completely stripped down and inspected. The mechanic removed any burrs from the disc pads. And the brakes still squeal under light braking. I've now learnt to live with it !!!

Many years ago I had a Citroen Dyane and the brakes made a loud groaning noise with light pressure. It was a very good way of warning pedestrians or cyclists without being as aggressive as a horn toot

Same here. 2014 Boxer. Really loud squealing under light pressure but silent when breaking hard. I've been all over the brakes and there's nothing wrong so I'm sure that it's just a squeally pad compound. When we're out cycling we often hear a vehicle approaching from behid that squeals its brakes; it's usually a late Sevel motorhome that comes past!

Recently had exactly the same 'squeeling' from rear offside which also stopped after light pressure or braking - MOT & service was March and have done approx 3k miles since.

Local garage replaced brake pads, which were well worn and said that this caused them to stick.

The 'squeeling' has disappeared - so do get your brakes checked properly with wheels off in case you have the same problem.

Archived