Caravan Club and wild camping.

Brian Kirby

Did the same thing Keith! I do not like the new booking arrangement very much - the previous system where one could see on the calendar whether there were spaces was, to my mind, easier to understand. As for "time of arrival" - who can tell!

Empress

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi again - yes, I have already spoken to the wardens and also written to CC HQ about the 'new' booking arrangements, which are much more difficult for us motorhomers. The CC IT Manager seemed interested in the feedback, and I suggested that there should also be an option to view monthly as before. He seemd to take this on board, and I feel there have already been several enquiries/complaints regarding this. So here's hoping.

As far as the 'arrival time' is concerned, I've had some quite lively discussions with wardens on this one! They say it's to comply with CC and 'staffing accordingly' ...! I now take the view that I'll give a time to keep them quiet, then simply turn up when I'm ready - which could be several hours earlier or later than 'stated'....the only thing I would de is call ahead if I'm likely to be late.

I did one have one occasion where we were asked to arrive bfore 5pm (winter time admiddedly) as they closed up then.....since we would be going most of the way on the M25, I simply suggested if the traffci was OK, then yes we probably would be, but who can tell on the M25...in the end we were well in time, but personally I do not like being held ransom to any particular time!

Hi,

Like Brian I also wrote to th Caravan Club Mag regarding the comments of the Chairman re aires an off site stopovers, but with the same result i.e. no response. To be honest we have now given up on the U.K. as a motorhome destination and spend six months each year in France instead. Here we stay on the aires de service or France Passion sites meet no unfriendly wardens, do not have to advance book and yes it costs us very little. O.K. so some of the aires can get very crowded but when you have not booked or paid if you do not like it you just move somewhere else! We have now done this for two years and find it a great way of life. I say its motorhoming as God intended! Go on forget the Caravan Club and head for La Belle France.

All the best

Jean and Robert

I can only report what I was told and my experience recently has been as stated earlier, what the internet booking asks for now I don't know as I haven't used it for ages. 8-)

Keith T - 2007-01-03 9:57 AM

I did one have one occasion where we were asked to arrive bfore 5pm (winter time admiddedly) as they closed up then.....since we would be going most of the way on the M25, I simply suggested if the traffci was OK, then yes we probably would be, but who can tell on the M25...in the end we were well in time, but personally I do not like being held ransom to any particular time!

I don't understand why you all get so hot under the collar about giving an arrival time. They are a business and in order to ascertain how busy they are likely to be at anyone time to make provision to ensure we are able to be sorted out quickly without causing us any more delay than is necessary. It's only common sense for them to want to know how many people to expect at certain times of day, if a load of us turned up at say 2.00 pm and there was only one person there to see to us all we'd be rather miffed at having to wait for half an hour before we could get pitched. *-)

At least if they have some idea of times of arrival of the vast majority they can plan to have more staff on duty then to get us sorted. If you can't be sure, just pick a time when you think is the most likely and leave it at that, if you get there then, all well and good, if not then don't worry, so long as you are there before they close the gates at night so what's the problem? I would imagine the vast majority of people who say they will arrive at certain times do so, so it therefore helps them and us, it's not us being held to ransom, they're just trying to plan and be efficient. ;-)

Archived