Do you haggle over price?

Mel E

We spend a lot of money on our motorhomes - and I guess most of us are willing to ask for a discount or better part-ex. And then accept what the salesman offers (already built in to his pricing).

But when it comes to adding all those accessories - awnings, refillable gas bottles, TV aerials, sat aerials, bike racks, solar panels, etc., etc. - do you haggle? Or do you just accept that that's the price you have to pay?

There's a new programme on BBC1 TV at about 09.15 each weekday morning in which Dominic (was an Estate Agent) helps people to haggle. Watch it just once if you're not a haggler to learn a whole lot. It's actually really entertaining as well!

Example: Today he accosted a man in the street who was about to spend 'up to £2,000' on an engagement ring in the local Jewellery shop. Not something most people would even think to ask for a discount on. With some training and Dom's help, the bloke got the £1,950 ring down to £1,350 (that's a £600 saving!) and got the Jeweller to throw in a Jewellery travel case, 12 red roses and a bottle of Champagne.

So, do you haggle?

Well...as a previous salesman in the motor trade i would always recomend that you haggle over the price....but please remember if you try to go to far you will get dissapionted....as sales people we are governed by boss's and supply cost's.......there is always a level of negotiation however somepeople try to go to extremes....remember that salespeople have a job to do as well and they have to earn a living...commisions are not as high as you may think and margins are not what people may think..

In summery......haggle but be realistic...if you try it on to much you'll just get peoples backs up and then you will have to deal with them in the future when you want service and warrenty.....i honestly believe that an extra £100..will pay dividends in the future when you need a favour...it always worked with me and i made some very good friends from previuos customers............................................Enjoy your new toy.....

I guess we all feel we want to and up with vfm deal...wheichever side of the fench we're on. Yes, as a potential customer i would always haggle, but equally respect the fact that the salesman has to make a profit for the company who pays his wages, and there has to be somehting oin the kitty for warranty and after sales work.

I think if you can build up a reasonable business realtionship with a saleperson, you'll usually gauge whre the defining point is. After that you either accept the deal, or walk away, and if there is any more in the pot, then he/she will come after you again!

Brian Kirby - 2006-12-06 5:19 PM
Dave Newell - 2006-12-06 1:02 PM Gee thanks Mel!! (lol) (lol) (lol) I suppose I'm going to be inundated with potential customers wanting big discounts now. :-D D.

But only if they're thinking of marrying you, Dave!

They'd be too late Brian, I've been happily married for the best part of 27 years now.I do give small discounts to certain groups of people and I'm always prepared to discuss discounts but why do people insist on asking "what deal can you do for cash, can we forget the VAT?" I'm not VAT registered (yet) and I can't slip a few jobs outside of the accounts because I've had to buy in the equipment and my stock control is integrated with my accounts. Besides which, cash payments mean I've got to go to the bank while card payments go through electronically.D.

Hi, I watched the program earlier today, and they admitted that the salesman's partner had been contacted earlier, so i wonder just how factual these shows really are, none the less it does make you think that its worth trying, albeit I don't know if the sales people in the major chain type stores actually have the ability / authority to alter the prices ? or do they ?

I tried it yesterday and today with the CC and it worked so there's hope for all of us, lol

Brian

Never believe anything on TV - even the News! I only quoted the programme to start the debate.

And yes, major chain stores will give you a discount - but only if you ask for one. I got a decent discount on a camera at Dixons some years ago (with some film also thrown in). You have to deal with at least the Assistant Manager to get anywhere though.

And, of course you have leave them some profit. My son runs a Home Cinema and HiFi business and I know what his margins and overheads are. On the kit he recommends, he is price competitive with the big chains. But he still gets people coming in who've bought a flat screen at Curry's or on line and want it fitted to the wall and wired up. 'Certainly', he says. 'We'll fit it in when we can after we've done our own sales, and it'll cost you twice what we charge our own customers.' That's when they realise that any savings they made online have just evaporated!

Always, learnt it from a cousin of mine who is a used car salesman. Got £2500 of the asking price of my recently aquired motorhome, £1500 of the double glazing price on my house. Mainly because they are over priced to start with.

always start lower than your prepared to pay.

Only place i don,t haggle is TESCO

Guest JudgeMental

“Do we haggle?”

Yes in deed! - Unless you are extremely timid or have more money then sense. If this is the case get someone to do it for you. :-)

We always get 3 quotes for anything significant we intend to buy.

Have just ordered a new motorhome.

Gave up with UK dealer Brownhills - UK market a complete joke.

Got Quotes from 3 Germany & 1 Belgium dealer. 2 Germans offered no discount. The other 2 dealers offered 18%. Went for Belgium dealer as they are nearer.

All in all have saved at least £8.000 on UK price probably 10k with all the extras I have ordered.

It pays to shop around

Most people sitting on either side of the desk when a significant purchase is being made expect a certain amount of bargaining to take place.

As said above, haggling to the last pound can be counter-productive in the long term. If the buyer has done their homework, they will know when a fair deal is being offered.

My husband recently bought a new mattress for my Mum in Law, it was £400, the chap offered to reduce it to £200 straight away as he'd had it in for a while as it was from a cancelled order ... my husband managed to get another £20 off!!!

I even haggle at market stalls if I want several of a certain item, it usually works!

Just don't haggle over how long is a piece of string ... it's too subjective!

Mel

Archived