Caravan Europe 1 & 2

enodreven

Hi,

We are thinking of purchasing the Caravan Clubs Europe 1 & 2 books as we have been told they are really useful for travel in Europe, but our problem is that they are not available until early next year as they are in the process of reprinting for 2007, and we intend to travel before they will be available. My question is, would it be worth trying to find a copy of the 2006 editions as do these books change much year on year, and if they don't any suggestions where i can purchase them from

Brian

Although it would be ideal to have up-to-date ones, they don't change "that" much and to have a past version is far better than none at all.  You can pick the 2006 version up at Amazon (only 2 left) for approx £16 for the two, and I have seen them in some comprehensive book stores on the high street.  You won't be wasting your money.

We use them very heavily when travelling in Europe, but we always ring ahead about mid morning to ensure that they are truly open that day (they often close unexpectedly).  The best part of the site descriptions is the readers impressions.  We have never made a mistake with these books.

I agree completely with Mom - they are indispensible. The sites are selected and updated wholly by CC members visiting them. If they don't get enough update reports, they delist the sites. So, if you use it, take the time to fill in a brief report form in the back of each book and post them off when you get home.

enodreven - 2006-12-06 2:10 PM Hi, We are thinking of purchasing the Caravan Clubs Europe 1 & 2 books as we have been told they are really useful for travel in Europe, but our problem is that they are not available until early next year as they are in the process of reprinting for 2007, and we intend to travel before they will be available. My question is, would it be worth trying to find a copy of the 2006 editions as do these books change much year on year, and if they don't any suggestions where i can purchase them from Brian

Have you tried the Caravan Club themselves to see if they still have a couple of copies left?  They may even let them go at a discount seeing the new ones are now in preparation!

Hi, Brian

I rang the CC after checking their web site, I can pre order the new 2007 editions and if i order volumes 1&2 2007 at the same time it will cost £16 + £1.95pp but if i want to order volumes 1&2 2006 which they still have, it will cost more, i can't quiet remember the exact amount but it was nearer to £19 including pp, I have asked to speak to the manager who i hope will ring me back tomorrow to explain why,

Brian

Hi Enodreven

well that's an odd one if there there was one......do post their reply!

Personally we tend to buy a new volume 1 evry 2/3 years, and volume 2 5/6 years. No they don't change dramatically, and often we find sites that aren't listed anyway, just by perhaps stopping at a village and asking tourism or even from signposts on the roads (this is in france).

What we do try to do, however, is to fill in the 'Site Update' report forms, or 'New Site' forms for any not listed, as this is the only feedback and update they get. My understandnng is that if any given site is not reported on or updated by a visiting CC member after, I think 3 or 4 years, that site is dropped from the listing.

Even if you get the latest one (ie2007), there is no guarantee as to the accuracy, especially on opening dates or prices.

Hi,

The manager rang me back earlier today and i have purchased both books for £10 + £1.95 pp total £11,95 for books 1&2 inc pp. I was annoyed at the staff yesterday when everyone one along what i was told was the chain of command kept saying the same price, obviously its not their fault but it does take a lot of determination not to give in.

But i must congratulate the CC management that when i eventually was able to put my point of view they took it in good faith and made in my opinion a very sensible decision that will allow them to dispose of old stock and for there members to avail themselves of this.

So in future don't give in? lol

Brian

Archived