Traveling to Portugal

Jack

We are off to visit Portugal for the first time in 10 days time for 3/4 weeks. Been to most of Europe over the years but to our surprise never Portugal. Have decided to travel down through France (from the Tunnel) and aim to reach Santander and then decide whether to head across land via Madrid or around the top of Spain and enter Portugal from the north

Any views regarding the itinerary or other suggestions. Also any recommendations for stopovers (Aires) on the route down France.

And finally, I know I'm asking a lot! any areas, north/middle of Portugal we should consider visiting?

Many thanks

Jack

We do France to the French/Spanish border at Hendaye. Then Spain to Portugal via Vitoria-Gasteiz and Salamanca.

Used to be toll free all the way, but now we've given in and do the new bit round Bayonne/Biarritz.

Nonancourt and St Estephe Roullet are our regular free Aires in France. Vitoria and a restaurant/bar a few miles west of Salamanca in Spain.

Travelling down to Spain/Portugal in January we always drive through France to Biarritz, from there to Portugal you take whichever route you fancy.

I assume you will have an aires or the camperstop book. There are loads of places to stop along any route you choose at whatever pace you choose to travel, in fact too many to mention.

In addition there are loads of villages where if you drive through and take a look you'll find many places to pull over for the night. The usual tip is to go into a bar or restuarant, spend a bit of cash and ask if it's ok to park to sleep, immediately you're known. At this time of year you'll find it particularly easy.

Don't know if the OP has seen the October edition of MMM but useful article on the route through France to Spain with stopping off places.

For a longer trip I would visit the Picos mountains along the north coast of Spain and then Galicia (North West Spain) then head down through Portugal.

For a 3/4 week trip, probably best to enter Portugal using the Salamanca route and then head southwards.

derek500 - 2016-09-29 9:31 AM

Charles - 2016-09-29 8:32 AM

We were put off Portugal by a Belgian couple we parked next to in Benidorm last year. They were saying it rains constantly. It is next to the Atlantic so I can believe it.

I won't be going again after reading a hearsay post on MM!!

I agree, I hope loads of people don't go, there will be so much more room! Except the Portuguese could use the visitors. Don't you just love hearsay, it never fails to surprise me how many people are easily put off. Hey ho.

Archived