Charging vehicle battery on site

Double

I have a 2004 Ace motorhome based on Fiat Ducato. Whilst on site and on hook-up the vehicle battery does not get charged up as does the leisure battery. However, I was told by another Swift Group owner that he gets the engine battery charged on site by merely switching over on the control panel from 'caravan' to 'car'. I can see that this would serve to by-pass the on board charger which charges the leisure battery, but charge the vehicle battery.....? Am I missing something? (On my previous 'van I had a 'battery mate' installed to charge the vehicle battery from the leisure one when on site).

John ;-)

Hi John-I fitted a small device from C.A.K. cost about £20 . It only needs 3 connections- 2 positive 1 negative and allows the leisure battery to reach full charge on hook up 13.6volts then allows van battery to trickle charge . When leisure battery drops below said voltage changes over again to charge leisure battery. Works a treat. chas

The control unit of my motorhome (Autocruise not Swift) also gives a choice of 'car' or 'caravan'. If I want the leisure battery charged then I select 'caravan'; if the vehicle battery then I select 'car'. It seems to have worked for over 4 years. I haven't actually checked that there are connections from the 'caravan' charger to the vehicle battery but I often park the motorhome, connected to the mains, for up to 2 months at a time. I also use the 'car/caravan' switch to check the state of the respective batteries with the battery tester switch (obviously with the charger turned off).

Glad its not only me !!

I posted a reply saying that I hoped tht my handheld GPS would steer me away from C L I F F S came out as cliplease Even when I tried to edit it and apologise for my speeling !

(Probably will work now !)

Do know the answer, but you are not alone :D

Hi Double, on my Swift the built-in charger will charge either the Leisure battery or the Starter battery depending on whether the 3 position control switch is in the caravan or cab position. The centre position does not charge either battery but will run all the 12v electrics from the charger.

The Leisure battery is not connected to the Starter battery.

The control circuitry is supplied by 'Plug-In Systems'.

Phil.

Archived