Speed Limits

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Guest Frank Wilkinson

I have done a search on this but can't find the relevant info. In today's Daily Telelgraph motoring section it clearly states that panel-van-derived vehicles and pick-ups are permitted to travel at 70 mph on motorways but on single carriageway roads (which have a 60 mph limit) they may only travel at 50 mph.

Does this affect my motor home which has a maximum, fully laden weight of 3500kg?

I was under the impression that I can travel at whatever the limit is for any road in the U.K.

We were given to understand that up to and including 3500kg is fine. Normal speed limits apply. We are just over this and understood that the limits for us and similar vehicles are as quoted in The Telegraph. The Highway Code says that Goods Vehicles (not exceeding 7.5 tonnes) Single Carriageways 50 mph, Dual Carriageways 60 mph, and motorways 70 mph. If you exceed 7.5 tonnes, there is a reduction of 10 mph for each speed limit. The poor man in The Telegraph was driving a panel van, but would it apply to a motorhome? We are more muddled than ever.

Empress

The relevant law (Construction & Use Regulations 1986 as amended (a lot!)) states that MOTORHOMES with an unladen weight in excess of 3050 Kgs are limited to 60 mph on dual carriageways and 50 mph on unrestricted single carriageway roads.

The 3050 Kgs is a throwback to imperial weights when it was exactly 3 imperial tons.

UK Law does NOT make a distinction at 3500 Kgs, as does most speed limit law in continental europe. But this is an area of law that has not yet been harmonised across the EU

The UK law is, however, very difficult to enforce as a motorhome is not required to display its unladen weight anywhere (vans and commercial vehicles are so required). And any way, that unladen weight is increased by permanent fixtures such as awnings, etc.

The unladen weight is defined as the empty weight, excluding fuel and water (but not engiune coolant) and loose tolls and equipment, which I have always taken to mean jacks, gas bottles that are removable, etc.

For most practical purposes, if you have a motorhome much in excess of 3500 Kgs (say 3700 or more), it is very likely to have an unladen weight exceeding the 3050 limit. The Telegraph is therefore correct, as the same law applies to panel vans and other commercial vehicles.

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Thanks for that comprehensive response. My motorhome has an unladen weight of about 2750kg. Does this mean that I can travel up to normal limits? The article in the Telegraph makes no distinction for different weights simply stating that all panel-van conversions must travel at the lower limits.

Mel E - 2006-12-09 12:55 PM The relevant law (Construction & Use Regulations 1986 as amended (a lot!)) states that MOTORHOMES with an unladen weight in excess of 3050 Kgs are limited to 60 mph on dual carriageways and 50 mph on unrestricted single carriageway roads. The 3050 Kgs is a throwback to imperial weights when it was exactly 3 imperial tons. UK Law does NOT make a distinction at 3500 Kgs, as does most speed limit law in continental europe. But this is an area of law that has not yet been harmonised across the EU The UK law is, however, very difficult to enforce as a motorhome is not required to display its unladen weight anywhere (vans and commercial vehicles are so required). And any way, that unladen weight is increased by permanent fixtures such as awnings, etc. The unladen weight is defined as the empty weight, excluding fuel and water (but not engiune coolant) and loose tolls and equipment, which I have always taken to mean jacks, gas bottles that are removable, etc. For most practical purposes, if you have a motorhome much in excess of 3500 Kgs (say 3700 or more), it is very likely to have an unladen weight exceeding the 3050 limit. The Telegraph is therefore correct, as the same law applies to panel vans and other commercial vehicles.

Mel, Frank

However, there may be a bit of a catch to this.  Have a look at section 4 of your V5Cs (log books in old money), item G "mass in service", against which you may find the unladen weight stated.  At least, mine is - fortunately at 2725Kg!

Not visible on the vehicle, of course, but Mr Plod can now access your data online at the VOSA vehicle database.  I don't know how far down they can drill into the details, but I assume one might be liable to at least a caution if the officer felt so inclined.

Anyone know otherwise?

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Brian, mine is blank in the 'Mass in service' section but according to Lunar my Telstar is 2750 kg plus 750kg payload. Assuming these figures to be correct, how fast can I go?

Mel's response above leads me to think that, as I'm under the 3050 kg, I can drive at the normal national speed limits.

Today's Telegraph however, suggests that I can only do 50mph on an derestricted single carriageway and 60mph on a dual carriageway.

No expertise Frank, but based on Mel's answer, I'd say you're OK for 60/70 mph.  However, just to be safe, why not take a trip the your local weighbridge in as close to unladen trim as you can get your 'van?  You may find the result interesting anyhow and if you follow the rule of weighing one axle first, then the whole van, you'll know how much payload you have on each axle, as well as for the 'van overall.

Then, if you are stopped by an inexperienced and overenthusiastic traffic cop, you can at least show him the weighbridge certificate to satisfy him as to the unladen weight.  He'll probably have to contact starbase to check on the appropriate speed limit though!

Motorhomes [upto 3050kgs] travel at the 'car' speed limit. ie 60 on single carriageway, 70 on dual carriageway on derestricted roads, [depending on weight]. I have a VW T4 which is classed as 'diesel car' in the registration documents.

There have been several threads on this topic, on most forums. Honest John - the article in question - was referring to transit type ie non-car derived vans and suggesting that hire firms should make the speed limits clear to their clients.

The relevant legislation is the Road Traffic Acts - which are shown in abbreviated form in the Highway Code. You need to dig a bit deeper to get the detail.

A member on another forum successfully defended a speeding ticket on the basis that he was driving a motorhome <3050, even though the base vehicle was subject to the lower limit.

Devon police had an excellent summary of the limits and vehicle categories.

Of course, speed should be appropriate to raod conditions regardless of the top limit.

Will try to find the relevant page for data, but I've lost a lot of my old bookmarks.

B-)

The letter in question is about Vans/Pick-ups, these are restricted to the lower speed limits. But if my memory serve correctly, if any van has the requisit number of side windows behind cab then higher limit applies, or has this rule changed?

Guest Frank Wilkinson
colin - 2006-12-09 10:17 PM The letter in question is about Vans/Pick-ups, these are restricted to the lower speed limits. But if my memory serve correctly, if any van has the requisit number of side windows behind cab then higher limit applies, or has this rule changed?

You're right, but it was still a little ambiguous. One would assume that a motorhome on a van chassis, such as my Lunar on a Renault Master, would be subject to the same limits as a van. I'm delighted to learn that they are not and that I can travel at the same speed as cars.

It's not that I particularly want to hurtle along but it's a pain having to remember different limits when you switch from one vehicle to another.

twooks - 2006-12-09 9:55 PM Motorhomes [upto 3050kgs] travel at the 'car' speed limit. ie 60 on single carriageway, 70 on dual carriageway on derestricted roads, [depending on weight]. I have a VW T4 which is classed as 'diesel car' in the registration documents. 

That's another registration document cock-up then!  A T4 is not car derived, so should not be classified as a diesel car.  Not very good at this, are they?

Brian Kirby - 2006-12-10 1:09 PM
twooks - 2006-12-09 9:55 PM Motorhomes [upto 3050kgs] travel at the 'car' speed limit. ie 60 on single carriageway, 70 on dual carriageway on derestricted roads, [depending on weight]. I have a VW T4 which is classed as 'diesel car' in the registration documents. 

That's another registration document cock-up then!  A T4 is not car derived, so should not be classified as a diesel car.  Not very good at this, are they?

Some versions of vans seem to be classed as cars, you can tell which one's as they have to publish fuel consumption figures. Twooks may have one of these.

Archived