Textile Snow Chains

enodreven

Hi,

I have just been reading a thread on one of the web sites and they are talking about these and one of the points that has been raised is that they are supposed to be easier to fit especially to twin wheel units, I don't know how true this is or even if the items themselves are any good but I thought I would try to find out more

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/

the items are called "Autosock" on the roofbox web site above and there is talk about a similar type of thing made by a company called Nova-rang and this is there web site below, can't quiet work out if they are actually the same things or not.

http://www.nova-rank.com/indic_i.htm

any info would be appreciated as I haven't had to fit my snow chains yet, but from what I have read they can be difficult, and if these are easier and actually work they may be worth buying

Brian

Hello,

I use "autosocks" on a large, rearwheel drive saloon car. I haven't used them on a motorhme as yet. In my experience they do work well on ice and in both compacted and fresh snow. It only takes a couple of minutes to fit them

They are easy to fit by simply stretching the socks over the top of the tyre, letting the car roll forward or back a little then fitting the remainder over the free part of the tyre. Ater that they self centre on the tyres. Getting them off is the reverse process. They can be a bit messy once off as they tend to hold a bit of cold, dirty water so always carry a big plastic bag to stash them in after use.

Hi, Thanks for the information,

On another site someone has suggested that they felt that they were perhaps only a temporary solution and you should also carry chains, what do you think ? and I know it may be difficult to quantify but how many times do you think they can be re-used ??

Brian

Colinsburgh - 2006-12-10 2:33 PM

Hello,

I use "autosocks" on a large, rearwheel drive saloon car. I haven't used them on a motorhme as yet. In my experience they do work well on ice and in both compacted and fresh snow. It only takes a couple of minutes to fit them

They are easy to fit by simply stretching the socks over the top of the tyre, letting the car roll forward or back a little then fitting the remainder over the free part of the tyre. Ater that they self centre on the tyres. Getting them off is the reverse process. They can be a bit messy once off as they tend to hold a bit of cold, dirty water so always carry a big plastic bag to stash them in after use.

Thanks,JudgeMental

Great link

The spike-spiders need to have a part fitted which from there description you hide ? under your hubcaps, i can't do that as i have alloy wheels, they may still work but I'm not sure it will be a lot quicker than my existing chains if i have to bolt something on first ?they are also 400 US dollars I don't know how much they are in the UK

The go-claws look good has anyone tried them, as it would be nice to hear from people who have actually fitted them in a real life situation

Brian

JudgeMental - 2006-12-10 3:59 PM

I prefer the look of "go claws"

http://www.flextrax.com/

Have not made my mind up between these and "spike spiders"

http://www.spikes-spiders.com/

They both look a bit more resilient then the sock type…

Enodreven ,

ask the oracle whom gave me lot's of help and useful links.

Also did Brian . If I find the thread I will pull it back for you.

Just as an O/t slightly 25 years ago driving Double Deckers round london boy I had some fun skidding everywhere even seen a few fall, or slide should I say off the platform of the old RM's RML. of course I wasn't doing any speed but it was fun knowing your clippy was on the back slow down just enough for them to get a snow ball in the face . Wicked women.. No snow chains then

Couldn't even get up the Hill to Holloway prison the hill was so steep.

Cadence breaking comes in handy for us oldies. ;-)

I've used the "autosocks" on five ocassions on Scottish roads with various snow and ice conditions, probably about 50 or 60 miles distance. They're still in good condition and look like they'll last a lot longer. The most wear was caused because I drove for about 5 miles on a clear road which is not recommended.

The prices vary with size. My tyre size 235/45/17 cost about £64 from "roofbox.co.uk".

I still have a set of chains which I haven't used since I got the "autosocks" about 2 years ago. The info with the "autosocks" says they're not legal for use in the Alps so you may have to hang on to the chains if you're venturing in that direction.

I have used the Autosocks on a Honda Jazz in the snow and they were very effective. Easy to put on, provided enough grip to continue and just required a hose down once off. As they replicate the often used "blanket under a wheel" to give a bit of grip on ice and snow and are made of a mesh type fabric I would suspect them to be next to useless in mud and probably offer less grip than the tyre tread. I bought mine in Auchan Dunkirk for £24 as they were getting rid of their stocks. According to the very helpful assistant they never really sold as the Gendarmerie would not allow cars or vans fitted with them to use the mountain roads. I keep them in the boot as an emergency get me home aid.

I used to have Spikes Spyders on my MH and they were pretty effective on mud but whilst in Austria I was warned not to use them as only chains were permitted. Plus they never really inspired confidence in their longevity. Sold on EBay. I now have Pewag chains on my Hymer and have used them to great effect in Germany. Easy to fit (after several dry runs!) and once, when stopped dead after an overnight snowfal,l I was able to fit them in less than 10 minutes and then move with superb traction.

As they cost about £110 from Brindley Chains and can be used throughout Europe they, (chains) are IMHO, the only thing to have on board. They are also very effective on mud. The Dutch, German and Austrian Motor Clubs have tested the Spiders and similar traction aids and have not been particularly enthusiastic. They recommend chains and the new ones are a far cry from the chains of old. Easy to fit, self tensioning and easy to remove. But beware of some of the cheaper ones which are made in China and of questionable quality. Brands such as Rud and Pewag are all TUV tested in Germany/Austria where they know a thing or two about driving in snow!

Regards

Pat

Guest JudgeMental
appreciate what you are saying regards Chains. but I am changing to a front wheel drive ford based Euramobil , and as I understand it you can't use chains with these vehicles...

Hi

It would be worth a phone call to any of the major chain suppliers to question whether their chains will fit your Transit. There are special low profile chains available to fit vehicles with restricted wheel/wheel arch clearance. Perhaps an email to Euramobil to ask what their recommended solution would be. I have camped alongside several Euromobiles fitted with snowchains (though not Transit based).

It does depend on where you want to go. If you intend to stay away from Alpine roads and just need traction in adverse conditions then the claw/spider/autosock alternative is the one to go for. If you do intend to go skiing abroad then you will need chains. If you want to improve your traction in mud then forget the autosock and go for the claw or spider. They do offer a digging type of grip rather than the friction grip provided by the autosock which 'sticks' to the snow or ice surface.

Chains however will provide grip in snow, ice and mud and will comply with the strictly enforced requirements in the Alpine regions of Europe and the mountains of Scandinavia.

In addition should you have an accident in any region that requires snowchains and do not have them fitted then you are breaking the law of that country which may or may not affect any insurance claim.

Pat

Hi

I bought my chains from

http://www.snowchainshop.co.uk/

who sell the Pewag brand as well as the autosock.

They deliver next day and gave good honest service and advice. If you are leaving soon and going via Dover this firm in Sevenoaks is handy for an en-route diversion to buy and they do the weisssock which looks like a branded version of the autosock.

http://www.snowchains.co.uk/main/weisssock.htm

have a safe trip

Pat

Guest JudgeMental

"There are special low profile chains available to fit vehicles with restricted wheel/wheel arch clearance."

patrickr, any idea where I can get these?

Euramobil dealer says I can only use spike spiders.

May try an email to Euramobil but have emailed them in the past and no response...

Hi

Give Brindley Chains, or any of the major chain suppliers, a ring with your tyre sizes and vehicle type and explain the concern over clearance.

I found them to be particularly helpful.

http://www.snowchainshop.co.uk

If you have no luck with Euromobil then you will need to physically measure the clearance when you get you MH and go from there. Most reputable firms would offer a money back guarantee should the chains be unsuitable after a trial fit.

I would ask your dealer why they advise that only spikes spiders would be suitable. If they say it is clearance then they should have the dimensions to justify their recommendation. My Pewag chains have a 4.5mm profile and thus add 9mm to the diameter of the wheel however it may not be just the distance between tyre and arch/bodywork but fouling of the chain when on full steering lock.

Pat

Probably a bit late for Michelle now but may be of use to others thinking of buying Chains abroad. I find the branches of Feu Vert (sort of large french equivalent of Halfords - but better - found on most Hyper sites, especially where there is an Auchan) to be very good. Usually have an excellent range of Snow Chains on display and good value. Could be worth a try if anyone is thinking of buying chains at short notice in France. :-D

Archived