Gas regulator failures.

Brian Kirby

If you have suffered failure of your caravan/motorhome gas regulator, I wonder if you would mind replying saying, where possible:

1 how many times this has happened,

2 approximately when each failure occurred,

3 what make of regulator was involved,

4 what brand of gas was involved,

5 whether propane or butane,

6 where, in broad terms, the gas was bought (i.e NE England, SW France etc.)

This might help to give some clues as to how widespread the problem is and how long it has been a problem.  If results appear conclusive they will be forwarded, as appropriate, to the firm/s concerned for consideration/comment.

Thank you all.

Hi Brian,

1 how many times this has happened, ONCE

2 approximately when each failure occurred, 1975

3 what make of regulator was involved, CAMPING GAS

4 what brand of gas was involved, CAMPING GAS

5 whether propane or butane, BUTANE

6 where, in broad terms, the gas was bought (i.e NE England, SW France etc.) ENGLAND

The failure within the regulator resulted in full bottle pressure being applied to the gas outlet. This meant that the flame up the back of the fridge was like a large blowlamp. It set fire to the van and the plastic bits of the fridge. Fortunately I was present, quickly turned off the gas and extinguised the fire. I fitted the spare regulator, replaced the burnt off fridge foot with one made from a backed bean tin and we continued our holiday in France.

I have never trusted CAMPING GAS regulators since. The design of the regulator was such that this type of failure could easilly happen.

Regards

Clive

Brian ,

It has luckily never happened to us but, I think it is very nice of you to put in your time & effort into sorting this out for people .

How sweet & Kind that people like you exsist . keep up the brilliant work .

& no its not patronising It is sent with kindness so others whom wish to comment.. please don't unless it's constructive.

Cheers Michele

Brian

1 how many times this has happened, Once

2 approximately when each failure occurred, Christmas day at Cirencester. Had beans for Christmas lunch. Scoured Cirencester for food on Boxing Day, every restaurant shut, had to buy sandwiches in Boots!

3 what make of regulator was involved, Truma

4 what brand of gas was involved, Calor from new

5 whether propane or butane, propane from new

6 where, in broad terms, the gas was bought (i.e NE England, SW France etc.)

Preston and Shrewsbury.

The regulator was replaced by Marquis/Autocruise under guarantee.

Peter

Archived