'Towing' sign

Vixter

We have just seen a large Autotrail towing a mini on an 'A' frame; the m/h had a 'TOWING' sign placed at the base of the windscreen.

Without wishing to stir up the 'A' frame debate - that's not the reason for this posting - I wondered whether anyone had any thoughts on this practice. We too have a big m/h and tow a car on a trailer,and my first thoughts were that it was a rather good idea to warn other road users that we are towing, from the front (at a road junction, etc) our trailer frequently can't be seen.

The sign itself was clear, the black lettering on a white background, about the same size as a numberplate. The sign was (I guess) placed on the dashboard & not obstructing the driver's vision.

A good idea...or not?

Vixter

Colin,

The senario is when you are going round a tight roundabout and passing a road joining the roundabout on your left. The joining car is arriving at the juntion at speed and wants to filter into the island without stopping.( we've all seen them). The towed car is tucked in and out of sight of the approaching car. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) (!) (!) (!) (!)

Slightly O/Topic

In my younger days when driving in New Zealand driving our camper van, we were met face to face with one of those enormous lorries carrying tree trunks. They do not have trailers as the rear bogies are just chain winched around the tree trunk and the ""trailer "" is as long as it needs to be !

We got a V sign from the driver, whch I thought was bad form !! (Being PC here !)

Turned out it mean two following, I got one finger from the next truck and an "O" from the last !

Rgds

If I meet a motor home, or any vehicle with "TOWING" on the front in a narrow country lane, rather that wait ages for him/her to reverse the trailing rig, I will back up to save a lot of time. Judging by some of the trailer reversing that I have seen at times, one could be kept waiting a long long time.

Just received a leaflet from Maplin. They advertise a "Scrolling message board" (Code L51AL). Displays upto 80 letters/numbers

Now if that works on 12v, we could really have some fun. get the passenger to type in the appropriate message as required.

BUT don't tell TC01

Flicka >:-( >:-) :-D :-D :-D

• 4 weeks later...

I have made one by printing TOWING from my laptop then sticking it on a piece of card cut from a carton. All sealed up tight with sticky film (for covering books) & held in place with Blue Tack.

Job's a Good 'un!

If it works well I will get one made up at Halfords

Vixter

Just like A-frame towing this is an area of the law that is somewhat difficult.

As far as displaying a sign at the rear is concerned, it is illegal to display anything reflective other than red and, for really large lorries, yellow. For trucks in excess of 7.5 tonnes towing a trailer such that the combination is in excess of 11 meters, diagonal red/yellow reflective stripes must be shown to the rear, over 13 metres, it's a 'LONG VEHICLE' sign and between 11 and 13 it's either. Displaying any such sign on any other vehicle is illegal in this country even if the tow combination exceeds 11 metres, but required in certain others (the law in Spain is somewhat unclear).

For example, the Spanish police were stopping UK and German drivers towing glider trailers last summer, for not displaying a sign that was illegal in their home country! And fining them on the spot!

Technically the red/white reflective striped square boards required on cycle racks and similar in Spain are illegal in the UK because they show reflective white to the rear of the vehicle. So you should remove them after leaving Spain!

Complicated isn't it?

=====

Mel E

Mel E

Thanks for that, we may just come up to 11 metres with the trailer,will check that, BUT we're just under 7.5 tons (not including the trailer). So, we're OK in UK, but in Spain??

However, there is no legislation about displaying the sign in the front? Just seems like commonsense to do it to me, but that doesn't always come within the law!

Vixter

Vixter,

You're right - no problem with the law with a sign in front.

One tip given to me by an A-Frame tower was to put 'ON TOW' signs in both side windows. That way, at T-junctions, etc., others know the car will move when you do!

And personall, I would ignore the UK law and put a 'Long Vehicle' sign on the back of any very long combination. You can get them from any good trailer parts dealer. To stay totally legal, all you have to do is paint carefully over the reflective yellow with non-reflective yellow paint. Anf you can get these signs with magnetic backing so they're easily removable if necessary.

I suppose I could put a home-made 'Long Vehicle' sign in the back window of the Smart car we tow on the trailer, but of course, I would have to remember to remove it when the Smart comes off the trailer, or I would look a bit of an idiot!!

Vixter

Archived