Charging

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Here's an interesting one, for me anyway! I've had my new MH on the drive for a few days and done the odd things that my limited DIY skills allow (few hooks etc!).

I'm now going to take it to my company's warehouse where it will be stored when not being used. Obviously I have power there and can plug it in any time.

Assuming that I leave it for a month and the starter battery is down, I can then plug in my mains lead with its 3 pin 13 amp adapter of course but, will this charge the main battery as well as the leisure battery?

Even more tricky, when the lead is plugged in, will this act as a 'jump start' facility, or will that blow the whole thing up?

I'm sorry if this is a bit basic but I'm hopeless at technical stuff and I find it quicker and easier to ask the pros on this site than phone the manufacturer or even the dealer.

Lets answer the questions in reverse order.

If the starter battery has gone flat after a month (not uncommon) then connecting the mains hookup will never be adequate to "jump start" the engine.

Some motorhome mains hookup charging systems will automatically charge leisure and starter battery. Many will only ever charge the leisure battery.

You need to read the handbook.

If your motorhome is one where the starter battery is NOT charged as well then you can either add a simple fuse between the positive terminals of the starter and leisure batteries when the vehicle is laid up in the barn and plugged into the mains or alternatively fit a battery Master which does something similar but automatically.

Have a look at

http://www.motts.dsl.pipex.com/BRIDGING%20FUSE.htm

Good luck

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Thanks Clive, I've stored it now and stupidly, the handbook is in it! Next time I go in to my office (not often as I'm semi-retired) I'll read the book but I was more concerned about the jump-start possibility with the mains lead plugged in. On my electrical panel I can choose between vehicle or leisure battery and I'm hoping that this setting also controls which battery charges.

If I can charge the vehicle battery via the mains cable I've no worries as I can plug it in and have a coffee for half an hour, which should be enough to pep it up to start the engine.

It might be worth considering buying a couple of Halford float chargers that keep the batteries topped up and charge each battery independantly. The chargers are self regulating and can remain connected to the mains. this should keep both batteries in top condition, although it would pay to check the elctrolyte levels regularly.

Rgds

If the starter battery was incapable of starting the engine and you put it on charge using the built in regulated charger set to "Starter" position and it was charging at an optomistic 15 amps then in half an hour you would have put in 7.5 ampere hours. Now, the starter probably takes 200 amps initially to crank a cold engine. That equates to roughly two and a quarter minutes of cranking. So you may just do it once! However it would be much better if you called in the previous day and put the charger on leaving it overnight.

You should ideally be doing this one day a month minimum anyway. Letting the battery get that flat will do it permanent damage.

OR

Take the battery off and take it home and keep it charged, but beware that your van will have no operational alarm systems without its starter battery.

Food forthought?

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Clive - 2006-12-15 11:01 PM If the starter battery was incapable of starting the engine and you put it on charge using the built in regulated charger set to "Starter" position and it was charging at an optomistic 15 amps then in half an hour you would have put in 7.5 ampere hours. Now, the starter probably takes 200 amps initially to crank a cold engine. That equates to roughly two and a quarter minutes of cranking. So you may just do it once! However it would be much better if you called in the previous day and put the charger on leaving it overnight. You should ideally be doing this one day a month minimum anyway. Letting the battery get that flat will do it permanent damage. OR Take the battery off and take it home and keep it charged, but beware that your van will have no operational alarm systems without its starter battery. Food forthought?

Very much so and thanks for the info. I'm semi-retired and go into my office once a week. The MH is stored in my very secure warehouse so it's no trouble to plug it in and ask one of my lads to switch it off the following day. I fully intend driving it once a month at least. Even if I'm not holidaying I'd like to take it out for an hour or so to stop the tyres getting a flat spot and to boost the batteries. I was more concerned about the battery going flat and hadn't actually considered that I may damage the battery by doing so!

Archived