drop down only beds in motorhomes

fesspark

I had a drop-down bed in my previous Hymer. We used it all the time and it was very comfortable.

Only downside is, there is obviously no head board, so if you want to read a book in bed it's more difficult although not impossible. We like to have water available, so just used a small bottle of water tucked down the side of the mattress.

Our setup didn't have a roof light above the bed so it did tend to get a bit hot for sleeping on occasions.

The gas struts which assist lowering and raising the bed have been known to fail but we didn't have any problems with ours. Replacement of the struts can be quite difficult as you need to compress the new struts to aid installation.

Drop-down beds these days tend to drop a bit lower, making access easier. However, you need to lower the back rest of the cab seats.

While not familiar with the models you mention, I found the drop down bed brilliant in a Rapido. 987M. The one complaint which might be applicable to all were the wooden steps.

For people who live in bare feet all day then fine, but for me night time is the only time when my feet feel any fresh air and see any light.

Trying to negotiate narrow wooden steps with hard corners was impossible so they were binned and I climbed with ease via the soft seats.

We had the Chausson 610. The bed was reasonably comfortable. But one problem was the slightly fragile electrics. On several occasions it didn't work properly. In fact every time we went away.

One good thing about it was.....

You couldn't fall asleep while driving. Chausson thought of everything. It rattled so badly and the bed creaked so much.

Fiat also had a great idea. I used to miss most potholes. But with the wider track on the rear, you can now hit more potholes.

Having turned 70, I have discovered that climbing in and out of high level beds of any sort is a challenge too far and our permanent low-level single beds are a blessing.  If you are planning to keep your next MH for long enough to enter the zone of gymnastic fragility yourself, you might want to bear that in mind!

That's a good idea StuartO.

Electric beds are great, but when they don't fully drop down, like ours. You have to go mountaineering

Not great when your getting of bed because the mattress is thinner than the board around the bed.

Certain parts of your anatomy want to stay in bed. !!!!!!

We have a 680 Burstner.

Had 80 nights away so far this summer.

The bed seems to work OK . It doesn't come down quite enough for my 5 foot tall Co-pilot to get in so I had to make a small step for her. I don't mind the lack of headboard for nighttime reading, she did moan a bit,but has got used to it now.

The rooflight above the bed is useful on warm nights.

You cannot leave the pillows on and fully store the bed away,but there is plenty of wardrobe space for them

All in all this package seems to work for us. My full size bike, the wife's folder. My inflatable kayak plus all the other bits and bobs that are essential in the garage. Reasonable kitchen ,

Good bathroom, lounge and storage ,all in under 7 metres.

HWO

HWO - 2016-10-09 8:38 PM

I don't mind the lack of headboard for nighttime reading, she did moan a bit,but has got used to it now.

HWO

Just a thought, with no headboard, and the bed isn't against a wall, don't your pillows fall off the end?

I would find that sooooo annoying!!

Potential disadvantages of ‘drop-down’ ceiling-mounted beds in non-A-Class motorhomes are:

Complication – with owner reports of electrical unreliability, instability when the bed is lowered and noise from the mechanism when travelling.

Loss of headroom, unless the overall height of the motorhome is increased significantly to compensate.

Loss of storage space, as high-level lockers beneath the bed are either small-capacity or dispensed with.

Loss of light, as the bed in its raised position will cover the ceiling area that usually incorporates a large roof-window.

Inflexibility – when the bed has been lowered the seating that’s invariably beneath it essentially becomes unusable.

As a motorhome with this type of bed converts from a ‘bungalow’ during the day into a 2-storey house at night, the advantages of the concept should be self-evident.

Shoehorning the bed into the roof means that – within a compact ‘low profile’ motorhome - it’s possible to have a spacious lounge, kitchen and bathroom and even sleep 4 people fairly comfortably.

An example of the short-length breed is the 5.94metre-long Rapido 604FF (though the bathroom design is a mite unconvincing).

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/reviews/motorhomes/details/rapido-604ff/924965

http://ads.caravansforsale.co.uk/motorhome/rapido-604ff-berth-2017-new-motorhomes-for-sale/600550

Check the weight limit. Some manufacturers fit beds which have a 150kg limit, OK for children but not adults. Aim for at least 200kg. Work out where you can store the bedding. Our Hymer top down bed has a cut off in the motor if it thinks I am trying to trap children - hence we can't put pillows up there when raising the bed; these have to be stored elsewhere.

Check how easy it is to operate the bed when the motor fail. Check whether it has two motors or one - two motors are better but have to be synchronised - or mot than 2.

Drop down beds are space savers. I'm on my third A-clas with them but if space wasn't a issue for me, I wouldn't have one. Drop down bedscan be a compromise too far.

fesspark - 2016-10-10 8:20 AM

HWO, how do you manage with all your garage load,2 bikes Kayak ect when you only have 285 kl allowance to the 3500,or have you had the larger weight model?

Yep that is exactly the conclusion I came to after a couple of sleepless nights between my order and revised order.

My original order was for a upgrade to 3850 Kg. But when I go motorhoming I like to have a roll out awning, a spare wheel, a second leisure battery with solar panel, be able to carry 2nd gas bottle,be able to travel with more than a couple of cups of water in the fresh water tank.

It was not going to work

I could have dumped something ie kept my bike and kayak and leave the co pilot and her bike at home or go the whole hog and order it on the Maxi chassis with the 4250 weight limit.

Which was what the revised order was

HWO

candapack - 2016-10-09 9:34 PM

HWO - 2016-10-09 8:38 PM

I don't mind the lack of headboard for nighttime reading, she did moan a bit,but has got used to it now.

HWO

Just a thought, with no headboard, and the bed isn't against a wall, don't your pillows fall off the end?

I would find that sooooo annoying!!

No there is a spring loaded cloth headboard that comes up as the bed comes down.

It is fine for keeping the pillows in place , but you cannot prop yourself up to read.

HWO

we have a chausson 610. with transverse elect drop bed.o/h found ladder idea (which means you can leave seat backs in place and create lower bed) too much of an effort. getting down the ladder is a bit dangerous as there is nothing to hold onto as you get onto it.so ,ladder stays at home and bed lowered to seat height.we use the long backrest as a head board.if the electric lowering device plays up,take it up to the roof,turn it off then on and it will reset itself. real downside...nowhere to sit other than bed when in use.no realistic lighting for reading...BUT, GREAT STORAGE, BEST SHOWER/TOILET IN THE BUSINESS,SPACIOUS GARAGE. SEATING FOR SEVEN ROUND PRACTICAL TABLE.AND A FORD FRONT END. IT'S ALL ABOUT COMPROMISE :-S

Our Pilote had an electric bed that came down from the ceiling. Well it was supposed to. First sign of a problem was when it went up but did not go up straight and jammed with one side lower than the other. After pushing from underneath it finally went back into place. We had a couple of episodes of this and it was returned to the dealer who could find nothing wrong.

Then we went down to the South Coast ( Uk ) for a holiday and it jammed on the first night so I finished up sleeping on the floor in front of the fridge.

Lots of noise from the bed when on the move and it used to clunk at night as you moved.

Although a very nice MH we sold it and moved on. Last thing you want is agro with a bed.

Some of these electric beds don't even allow for the bedding to be left in place.

IMHO it's just something else to go wrong ....

Archived