Autotrail Apache or Scout anyone got one?

Barryd999

I am particularly looking for someone who has a 2007 model or newer that has one or has had one. Im also interested in the earlier models as well 2004-6 but if possible I may go for a later one.

What I would really like is to find someone who has put a scooter and rack on one. Both seem to have good payload especially on the later models but I cannot get my head around the size of the overhang on the Apache which is on the Ducato chassis. The Scout is Alko with a much shorter overhang. The 2007 Scout claims 750kg payload and with the shorter overhang should easily accommodate a scooter and rack. The Apache 700se whilst having a good payload I worry about the long overhang and the difference it will make in the overall weight on the rear axle once you do the sums and I suspect it will effect handling much more than the Alko Chassis Scout. The handling on our Kontiki 640 with Alko chassis is not effected at all by the scooter. I want to make sure any new van I get is as good.

I am also keen to hear from anyone about all aspects of these vans. It wouldnt have been my first choice of manufacturer but its the layout we want and a decent payload.

I know all about weights, calculations and payloads when it comes to fitting scooters and racks so no need to tell me about all that. :D

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2016-10-08 12:24 PM

I know all about weights, calculations and payloads when it comes to fitting scooters and racks so no need to tell me about all that. :D

Filling the front lockers with Leffe is not the correct way to balance the load >:-) ....

pelmetman - 2016-10-08 12:52 PM

Barryd999 - 2016-10-08 12:24 PM

Filling the front lockers with Leffe is not the correct way to balance the load >:-) ....

Ah well you say that Dave but actually it is. To be fair you try and keep the leffe low but up front. On a serious note though its another reason why I like an overcab Luton. There are normally two folding bikes and a Kayak up there. I keep the booze under the front dinette while travelling long distance. The balance in our Kontiki is spot on perfect. :D

I got weighed on the Swiss border once by their Border force (you know the ones with MP5 machine guns) coming in from Germany with a Luton full of cheap german Beer. We were 60kg over but they didnt seem fussed.

Hi

We have an 2012 Scout. Very pleased with the layout, general build quality and massive storage options.

We had a tow bar fitted to take 3 heavy mountain bikes on an Atera rack. We have the Fiat chassis rather than AlKo and had ours fitted at Watling. It wasn't cheap (£800 ish, type approved) as it needs a fair bit of metalwork due to the length of overhang as you point out but we've have no issues and you can't feel the difference.

I actually thought the Scout had a longer overhand than the Apache?

Sydney1 - 2016-10-09 2:41 PM

Hi

We have an 2012 Scout. Very pleased with the layout, general build quality and massive storage options.

We had a tow bar fitted to take 3 heavy mountain bikes on an Atera rack. We have the Fiat chassis rather than AlKo and had ours fitted at Watling. It wasn't cheap (£800 ish, type approved) as it needs a fair bit of metalwork due to the length of overhang as you point out but we've have no issues and you can't feel the difference.

Thanks. Thats interesting and useful. Just reading the specs I though the Scouts were Alko and the Apache Ducato. Certainly some of the pics I have looked at of both the ones with the Alko chassis are shorter overhangs. Maybe they offered both on the Scout then I dont know.

Did you get your van weighed before and after putting the rack on and did you weigh the whole van then each axle before and after? I would be interested in the results and figures if you did

We have just traded our Scout in.

The toilet/washroom is not very big for a 8 metre. In fact anybody using the van who is built for comfort and not speed would find it very near impossible to use the toilet/basin with the door closed.

I don't think any of the Fiat based Scouts ever came on a ALKO chassis. Earlier ones came on the MB's so maybe they had an ALKO backend.

HWO

Hi

We have a 2015 Apache 700 We looked at a year old new unsold Scout but did not like the bizare purple upholstery. I think both are built on the Ducato Heavy Duty chassis with very large payload capacity. All the Auto Trail sales brochures from the last few years are available from the Auto Trail website with all the technical capacities listed. Don't go on hearsay, study the facts. PWS towbars in Poole are a good source of information about rear loading as they make all sorts of tow bars for the Auto Trail range. I do agree with the comments about washroom size. I am 15 stone and it is a bit tricky to get comfortable on the loo with door shut but it is a small price to pay for a rear lounge and front dinette and separate shower.

Barryd999 - 2016-10-09 7:24 PM

Sydney1 - 2016-10-09 2:41 PM

Hi

Thanks. Thats interesting and useful. Just reading the specs I though the Scouts were Alko and the Apache Ducato. Certainly some of the pics I have looked at of both the ones with the Alko chassis are shorter overhangs. Maybe they offered both on the Scout then I dont know.

Did you get your van weighed before and after putting the rack on and did you weigh the whole van then each axle before and after? I would be interested in the results and figures if you did

Didn't weight to be honest. We were torn between the Apache and the Scout as there is quite a big difference in price when new. The reason we went for the Scout was the larger fridge and extra payload so knowing this we don't obsess about weight and just distribute the load sensibly.

As said above sure we have the HD Fiat cassis rather than Alko as that was pointed out as a difference between the Apache and Scout.

Both Scout and Apache come on the Fiat Ducato heavy duty chassis. (see attached Auto Trail Brochure for 2012 - more recent brochures have same info)

Payload for 2012 Scout 565Kg

Payload for 2012 Apache 730Kg These are just the crude allowance calculated by deducting the Mass in running order from the total permitted weight.

Hope this helps as you appear to be getting some duff information from somewhere.

Archived