overnight near southampton

breakaleg

Hi All,

In a couple of weeks time we are booked on the red funnel ferry from Southampton at 8am, does anyone know of somewhere close by where we could stop for the night?

not bothered if it is a site or lay by, I know that there is a large park right next to the terminal but from memory is says no overnight parking/sleeping etc.

Happy to stop on the motorway services for the night but unhappy to pay them :-S

hope you can help.

Pete

Hi All,

Thank's for all your replies, would have answered sooner but had a meeting Monday night and were at the NEC show all day yesterday.

I like the sound of being 400 meters away, I don't know what possessed me to book such an early crossing, we can't access the camp site util noon (well we will turn up anyway the worst they can do is tell us to go away. lol

I think that as we will be in Southampton by around 2pm we will take a look around and see what we can find but the last post is favorite, the trouble with camp sites that setting off around 7am disturbs everyone around you and sometimes the site insists that you have a fob for the entry barrier and take a large deposit which they can't refund until the office opens at 9am etc.

Thank you all for your advice.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Just some feedback.

Thanks Mike 88, that road next to the holiday in was fine a one minute drive to the ferry port, we were in the company of around ten artics, one told me that he had been over nighting there for around 20 years and had only ever had one parking ticket (most of the road is double yellow lines)and the rest bus parking bays, he thinks that the hotel complained when it was new but these days the drivers use the swimming pool and showers.

we had a comfortable quiet night.

Many thanks.

Pete

breakaleg - 2016-10-27 3:40 PM

Just some feedback.

Thanks Mike 88, that road next to the holiday in was fine a one minute drive to the ferry port, we were in the company of around ten artics, one told me that he had been over nighting there for around 20 years and had only ever had one parking ticket (most of the road is double yellow lines)and the rest bus parking bays, he thinks that the hotel complained when it was new but these days the drivers use the swimming pool and showers.

we had a comfortable quiet night.

Many thanks.

Pete

Glad you found it OK. It's also a good spot if you require somewhere to eat as it is within 5 minutes walk of a shopping centre with plenty of fast food outlets.

Hi Mike,

The lorry driver said as much but as it was late in the day I didn't think to ask him in what direction.

We had a little walk around earlier in the day (by the city walls, where the boat is built into the footpath.)

We didn't go much further as I have mobility problems but would like to see some of the city without moving the van if possible.

Pete

breakaleg - 2016-10-28 6:31 AM

Hi Mike,

The lorry driver said as much but as it was late in the day I didn't think to ask him in what direction.

We had a little walk around earlier in the day (by the city walls, where the boat is built into the footpath.)

We didn't go much further as I have mobility problems but would like to see some of the city without moving the van if possible.

Pete

Hi

To get to the shopping centre walk through the Holiday Inn car park, then turn left for about 100yds to the traffic light crossing, then cross the road and follow the road around for 150 yds passing the COOP supermarket. The entrance to the multi storey centre is across the road. I regularly stay in the Holiday Inn (when not motorhoming) so use the shopping centre frequently.

. I regularly stay in the Holiday Inn (when not motorhoming) so use the shopping centre frequently.

I did wonder how you new Southampton so well !!

We go there when we want shopping other than food, but don't know it as well as you do

PJay

Beware the Itchen Bridge in Southampton. They asked us £25 to cross although kindly let us through and out via a bus lane when we refused to pay. It took us ages to find the way around Southampton avoiding the bridge and we would have missed our Red Funnel ferry had it not been delayed.

Toll is based on vehicle height and from talking to the booth operator, catches out motorhomers using satnavs which do not have a 'no tolls' route set or those using road maps.

http://www.southampton.gov.uk/roads-parking/roads/itchen-bridge/charges-and-peak-times.aspx

Archived