spare wheel carrier

tonyg3nwl

Hi, i had my van in for service a couple of days ago, and asked them to check spare wheel as well.

There was an extra labour charge for sorting out the mounting mechanism, as it was apparently solid and corroded.

i wonder how many others might have the same problem. When did you last check?

All other items on the checklist were ok, and the antifreeze was dealt with, as was the lubricants and filters.

final bill just over 300, for fiat based stargazer 2009 version.

tonyg3nwl

Perhaps worth mentioning that there was a 2011 Citroen/Fiat/Peugeot recall relating to the spare-wheel carrier of certain ‘X250’ vehicles. Details here:

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/news/30680-fiat-ducato-x250-recall-over-spare-wheel-carrier

That some vehicles that should have been modified as a result of the recall were not will be evident from this 2015 forum discussion.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Spare-Wheel/39211/

Billggski - 2016-10-12 12:44 PM

Probably old news, but check your fuel filter after a service, they always leak.

(Google fiat x250 fuel filter problems.)

...because instead of using the proper tool to unscrew them people crack the housing in a vice and then blame Fiat *-)

John52 - 2016-10-12 2:17 PM

Billggski - 2016-10-12 12:44 PM

Probably old news, but check your fuel filter after a service, they always leak.

(Google fiat x250 fuel filter problems.)

...because instead of using the proper tool to unscrew them people crack the housing in a vice and then blame Fiat *-)

The fuel-filter leakage problem with Euro 4 X250s has been discussed here several times before. Example here

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Fiat-Ducato-Fuel-Filter-Replacement/39103/

Received (and expert) wisdom seems to be that, even when a special tool is used, there’s a good chance that filter-cartridge replacement will result in a fuel leak. If I remember correctly the filter-unit’s plastic top is supposed to be tightened to a specific torque, though how this is supposed to be achieved using, say, strap wrenches is anybody’s guess...

Derek Uzzell - 2016-10-12 2:43 PM

If I remember correctly the filter-unit’s plastic top is supposed to be tightened to a specific torque, though how this is supposed to be achieved using, say, strap wrenches is anybody’s guess...

The workshop tool and its Blueprint equivalent are 1/2" square drive so a torque wrench can be used.

E.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Print-ADK85502-FILTER-REMOVAL/dp/B00B8X7XN0

Derek Uzzell - 2016-10-12 2:43 PM

If I remember correctly the filter-unit’s plastic top is supposed to be tightened to a specific torque, though how this is supposed to be achieved using, say, strap wrenches is anybody’s guess...

These filter housings are fitted to lots of other vehicles as well as Fiat. The manufacturers recommend an inexpensive special tool to hold the body and unscrew' retighten the cap. If people use vices and strap wrenches instead of the proper tool what do they expect *-)

Did a proper maintenance job on my spare wheel carrier this Summer. (Renault cab attached to Alko Tag chassis). The original spare had never been out of the carrier and it was all a bit stiff. An important thing for anyone with a similar van to note. For some inexplicable reason, the 2 studs for raising and lowering the carrier have a 14 mm Hex head. 8-)

I have lots and lots of tools of all descriptions (I was an Engineer all my working life) but I did not have, or can remember having a 14 mm Socket (but may have had one in a motorcycle kit at one time).

Be warned. :D

747 - 2016-10-12 8:19 PM

I have lots and lots of tools of all descriptions (I was an Engineer all my working life) but I did not have, or can remember having a 14 mm Socket (but may have had one in a motorcycle kit at one time).

Jim,

From memory of my dim and distant days of fixing old bangers 14 mm and 9/16" sockets where pretty much interchangeable. They certainly where a closer match than 13 mm and 1/2" !

But then again who nowadays has imperial sockets (?)

Keith.

Keithl - 2016-10-12 8:26 PM

...But then again who nowadays has imperial sockets (?)

Keith.

Me

There’s a comparison table here

http://www.toolconnection.co.uk/conversionchart.aspx

The worst ‘wind down’ spare-wheel mechanism I’ve come across was the one fitted to my 2005 Ford Transit-based Hobby motorhome. Operating the mechanism involved sticking the flat-bladed screwdriver end of the wheel-wrench into an oval slot on the winch and then rotating the wrench. This was (literally) impossible to do on the Hobby and I bodged up a tool from a meter length of square-section steel bar to allow me to turn the winch. To make matters worse, the metal part carrying the oval slot was made from some sort of brittle alloy and mine split. I glued the parts back together and put a worm-drive clip around the result, but I always feared having to remove/replace the Hobby’s spare wheel.

Keithl - 2016-10-12 8:26 PM

747 - 2016-10-12 8:19 PM

Jim,

From memory of my dim and distant days of fixing old bangers 14 mm and 9/16" sockets where pretty much interchangeable. They certainly where a closer match than 13 mm and 1/2" !

But then again who nowadays has imperial sockets (?)

Keith.

Hi Keith. I still have all my Whitworth tools and you are correct about 14 mm and 9/16 Whit being the same. I have interchanged them but only with Allen Keys, not sockets or spanners.

In my time I needed AF, Whit and Metric tools. I have worked on old Lithographic Printing Presses (metal decorators, printing on tinplate and Aluminium). I also worked on Power Presses, some American with AF threads. In fact I needed some of them almost up to my retirement. :D

Ah, retirement ....... what a lovely word that is.

Sorry for the delayed reply. we are up in the Highlands and have had no signal ...... or TV. The wife is desperate to know what is happening in the Soaps. :D Surprisingly, I am parked up in Glencoe with a good 3 signal on the Mifi. We should be back in the Lowlands by tomorrow and home by Monday or Tuesday. :D

Archived