To cover or not for winter?

Gazelle

Hi all, what is the current opinion on whether to cover a motorhome for winter or not? We have no particular reason to, other than it's an option. We have a solar panel fitted, so maybe that's a reason not to? We have also read in the past that it's better to leave it open to the air. All opinions welcomed.

Just keep using it. It's a commercial vehicle and not designed to be left just sitting about under a cover. Covers not fitted properly will cause damage to the paintwork and block the roof light vents which help the air circulate.

Caddies104 - 2016-10-13 9:19 PM

Hi

Think most of the opinions will be not to. Better for breathing and just in case up you want to get away when we have that very very warm spell in January :-D

Also prevents scratching when putting and taking off..

Agreed. And not just when putting on and taking off. Any breath of wind will flap the cover against the van, grinding any dirt trapped between the cover and van into the paint.

When you look at corrosion spots under a vehicle its always worst in places where water gets trapped, not in exposed places where it dries out.

I cover ours with a tailor made cover. Clean it first then cover it, all ready for use next year. If I did not cover it, it would subjected to all the airborne pollution from Birmingham and the airport, algae , dampness and possibly snow and frost damage. It is now 15 years old and in superb damp free condition.

Brian B.

No plans to cover ours. Absolute best option would be a Car port with open access to the wind but that isn't available to us. The advice from the dealership when we bought the van was not to cover it, the covers trap damp inside which is actually worse than the weather, unless we get a very expensive and high quality cover, covers are difficult to put on and take off without "dragging it" and to avoid capturing grit and mess in it.

Take care to ensure that the green stuff doesn't grow, avoid parking under a tree if at all possible, not least for falling twigs, leaves and branches if it get's stormy, it's much easier not to get it green rather than clean it off later.

A good clean and polish - and use it from time to time, even if it's a 30 mile blast up the motorway and back to keep everything charged up and moving. I believe the new Ducato's have special UV resistant paint? - In theory these should be tough all year vehicles that don't need any special pampering beyond a reasonable point.

Thanks everybody for the response. This, coupled with stuff I've read elsewhere is fairly conclusive NOT to cover, but I appreciate that there are those that do cover up & have no problem with it. If I have my way, we will be using it throughout the winter months, really need to test that heater! 8-)

I've done both, and with the cover on (wash and polish it first) the van stays lovely & clean compared to without the cover. But I started getting mould spots inside on the curtains and seat fabric. I've sold it now anyway. Got a Motorhome now and cover it with the garage, which I extended the roof up on.

Does any one cover the car? Or even put in a garage? We have a 21st century house, and the garage is hardly big enough to put a car in , unless it is completely empty, then it is only possible to open the door if it is a small car!, even a fiesta is a tight fit.

Many years ago , I was told that a car last's longer left out in the elements, rather that put away in garage wet.were it will rust!

I guess if you live in the north and scotland where you get snow, a car port is the best option. We had to leave our van more or less unattended this year, due to circumstances, and when we did collect it , the roof was green, but a fairly gentle wash with the hose and a brush got it clean. Surely , cars and vans are made to face the weather? Our van has never been covered for 10 years now, and is still shiny ! A car I owed for 20 years also never went in a garage, and the body work was still bright and shining, when i sold it, Mind you it was a Japanese one!!

PJay

Archived