"spam" in the wider sense

tonyg3nwl

Hi folks, firstly, i am releived to see that the idiot nuisances have been dealt with, but can anyone advise howto stop nuisance advertising.

Years ago i bought a new Peugeot vehicle, and still get annual messages suggesting that i should look at their latest offerings.

The same things happens from a garage from whom i bought a different vehicle, and more recently from Nissan, suggesting it was time to inspect their latest offerings.

then there are the annual offerings from the various insurance companies touting for business, cluttering up my inbox, most of which have always been unsuitable for my needs.

this, coupled with the daily droppings through the letterbox of the so called unaddressed mail, and which goes straight into the outbox (dustbin)..

I just wish that there could be a foolproof mechanism for stopping this wasted effort, and wonder why the senders of it don get the message,.. no reply means they have wasted their time and money.

there must be a way, "return to sender" , "no longer at this address", or simply ignore it all.

tonyg3nwl.

If talking about e-mail spam then at the very bottom of each e-mail there should be an un-subscribe link, it is in the very small print. and usually highlighted in another colour.

also, depending on you e-mail reader, it could be marked as spam/junk.

I use Mozilla Thunderbird and there is a button to do so, then all those e-mails should go to the 'Junk' folder.

Always check the 'Junk' now and again to ensure nothing has gone there that shouldn't.

If you use Gmail they has a SPAM Button. You can open the spam folder if you want but anything in there for over a month vanishes. Mine is FULL. It really keeps the rubbish away and Gmail also warns you if it's a suspect email.

By "in the wider sense", i was hoping to suggest that not only email, but any other unwanted mail how so ever it arrived. Unsolicited advertising,unadressed paper work,etc.

not just in electronic form.

once they have your details, be it email or from phone book or however they contact you.. even the scam attempts relating to your " computer fault", or from your "bank" asking for your card details etc, they are all spam, and deliberate attemps to persuade you, and always are annoying..

tonyg3nwl.

I use

A strict approach to ensure I provide minimum information to others and always tick the options that refuses permission to use my details for marketing to sharing with others.

The facility to unsubscribe when it is available. Sensible organisations respect this although a few see it as a green light to send you more as they realise you are opening their emails.

My email spam filters which are linked to my address book. I set additional rules for some emails.

Several email addresses. One for personal use such as family and my financial dealings; one for level 2 organisations I deal with such as MMM, Utility companies, memberships; and one for everything else including shopping and Fiat which go in the junk email. Most email firms now provide the option to have 'alias addresses' which can be used on a one off basis or more if needed and then deleted and replaced by another.

I manage my computer privacy settings. Periodically I delete all cookies and website details permissions [my wife does not allow any cookies and lives with the reduced internet experience].

I use the Telephone Preference Service but alas that is near to useless. I have an answerphone which filters all incoming calls from either known nuisance callers [not much use as they keep changing their number] and picks up those I don't know. Calls from people in my address book get through.

You can use non-tracking search engines but they are not wholly effective and simply not as good as Bing or Google.

The bin for mail shots and magazine infills.

Archived