Exhaust Help

Helene67

Hi l have a 2006 Autotrail Cheyenne on a 2.5 d Fiat Ducato

Earlier this year it failed its MOT due to a whole in the exhaust so l ordered a new exhaust on-line and told the exhaust company it was for a Camper not just a Fiat van. The lady ordered the new exhaust using my number plate and told me it was the correct one.

It arrived the next day and was fitted by the MOT garage no problem and passed the MOT

However, where the tail pipe exits the side of my van there is now considerable blackening on the plastic side skirt which didn't happen before the exhaust was replaced

Should l be concerned by this and is there some sort of exhaust pipe extension l could buy to extend the tail out further from the plastic skirt?

Many thanks for any help

If you get a Tailpipe extension that is curved, you can angle it backwards and slightly downwards which should help a bit more? See : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POLISHED-STAINLESS-STEEL-BLOW-DOWN-CAR-EXHAUST-TAIL-PIPE-TRIM-CHROME-BUMPER-TIP-/301178266091?hash=item461f9fa1eb:g:INoAAOSwPcVVkrcn

The one in the link above (see photo) is 185mm long and fits a pipe diameter 30 - 55 mm, so probably not wide enough enough but gives you the idea.

239959946_exhaustpipetrim.jpg.2c8a75ebeafb277e657ebbb19eb0f36d.jpg

I think i would have been more inclined to get to the bottom of the excessive smoke and soot that is causing the mess rather than just direct it somewhere more convenient!

If you don't, you may find that passing an MOT will be more challenging every year and you might be wasting more money on fuel and oil than you need to.

Just my three pen'th (adjusted for inflation)

euroserv - 2016-10-17 3:36 PMI think i would have been more inclined to get to the bottom of the excessive smoke and soot that is causing the mess rather than just direct it somewhere more convenient! If you don't, you may find that passing an MOT will be more challenging every year and you might be wasting more money on fuel and oil than you need to.Just my three pen'th (adjusted for inflation)

OP doesn't mention 'excessive' anywhere so this comment may be unnecessarily worrying.  My 2010 Transit based 2,4 ltr diesel MH has a short stubby exhaust outlet exiting on the side of the vehicle just aft of the hab door.  From new the 'exiting gasses' caused soot/blackening on the side panels which I subsequently cured by fitting a 'blow down' end pipe.  I would suggest getting a stainless steel one as the chrome ones tend to rust very quickly.........oh and make sure you get one of the correct internal diameter as there are lots of different sizes out there.

Cheers everyone l will look at tail pipe extension. There is definitely no excessive black smoke it's only marked the side panel slightly but unsightly all the same when l keep my 'van clean and tidy. It had also required this new exhaust to pass MOT and once fitted passed fine with no emissions problem

You will need a large diameter deflector, and the correct inside-diameter version of the trim shown on the page here:

http://www.marcleleisure.co.uk/store/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=exhaust&osCsid=f98fe97bd1bfcead7643b956923e4fb7&x=0&y=0

..... is an often-used solution to this.

It looks like a "straight-through" unit, but is, in fact, a downwards deflector.

They are reasonably common, and there are other suppliers around (including a good few motorhome dealers' accessory shops). Search on "Mapa exhaust".

Note that, if your current replacement exhaust is "lipped" at the end, you may have remove the lip (hacksaw) to get any extension to fit snugly.

Archived