omnistep switch

Tractor boy

Hi out there.

The step on my 2004 Swift Sundance works intermittently.

Does anyone know if the new square switch sold is a direct replacement for the oblong one fitted to my vehicle.

It's expensive & so I don't want to buy it only to find out it's no good.

Any help would be appreciated.

Take it the switch you are referring to is a CBE Step Switch. They all seem to work the same way and should be interchangeable. You just have to work out the wiring.

You could use one of these http://www.caravan-parts.org/product.php/-project-2000motorhome-electric-step-rocker-switch-project-2000-electric-step-rocker-switch-/?k=:::1428749

Which is the same as you already have.

The only satisfactory way of testing the switch is with a multimeter set to ohms. If the resistance is high (ie. low reading) then the contacts on the switch are probably pitted, leading to the intermittent problem. First check what reading you get with the two probes of the multimeter touching (ie. no resistance) and then with the probes across the switch (in the closed position).

Also check the area around the motor, it should be protected from road grime but ......you never know. The system may be suffering from a dodgy earth return.

Had the same problem with the step on our similar 2004 Bessacarr E410. New relay from Maplins sorted it. Can't remember which one I bought. I simply took the old one in and asked for '......one like this please'. Was told it's a pretty standard automotive relay and it cost next to nothing.

FD

Thanks for the info guy,s.

Since my first post I have noticed that with the steps out & the engine running the buzzer goes off but the steps do not retract.

I have replaced the relay but no joy. The switch shown has 6 connections & mine has only 5. But it might do the trick. Thank for the help.

I'll let you know if I sort it.

Hi

The standard CBE step switch assembly consists of two independant single pole changeover swiitches. One for the extend or lower operation, and one for the raise or retract function.

The normally open contacts of both switches should be connected together and to a positive supply, while the normally closed contacts should also be connected together and to the negative supply (earth).

The common contact of the "out" section of the switch,is normally connected to the violet wire coming from the step motor, while the remaining contact on the switch will be connected to the orange wire of the step motor via the step relay terminals 87a and 30 (normally closed).

The switches can share a common centre normally open contact resulting in the five contacts that you mention.

The relay is controlled by the step limit swich inside the step. This switch is closed unless the step is retracted. The relay operates when the ignition is turned ON. and diverts the orange wire of the step unit from thr manual switch a positive supply.

Points to examine. Is the relay operating when the engine is started? (A finger touching the relay case, while an assiistant stars the engine, may helpe with this check.) If the relay is operating, is 12v available at terminal 87 of the relay socket? (This is the auto retract power input.)

• 3 years later...

Hi Fred

I have a 2003 Bessacar with non retracting step when ignition on.

I am puzzled by which relay is the one controlling the step.

I have found 2 under a plastic cover in centre of engine compartment with some fuses.

Does that sound like the one you replaced to fix your step issue ? If not where was the relay in question located?

Archived