Alko Chassis-v- 2016 HYMER Mercedes Chassis.

Frank McAuley

Frank, the circumstances that they commented on was still the chance that the tank, or straps, could be damaged depending on ground conditions, personally I'm with Derek on this, lots of vans could be damaged in certain circumstances. My own IH panel van has 2 tanks and its gas tank underneath, never had any issues but suppose I could have? If you are going ahead I'd put rear air on and forget all about it! Personally I'm going for another IH (boring I know) with levellers and air suspension from Mick at SAP and all the toys!!

Bill

This is not get any where and we talking in circles. Your waste tank is low placed in any vehicle isolated and whit 4 mm galvanised straps to keep it in place and with a drip pot even 12 cm ower and even a lower drain pipe with a valve. Its not on the far back but just after the rear axle. Air suspension with 5cm up which it can do in ride height position will not solve the problem as they make you would believe from the air assist suppliers. It is still not a Citroen DS or a high foot range rover or Toyota landcruiser. You are responsible for the terrain you are entering with human visual back assistance.

Derek you miss the boat here. Fiat ducato is market leader the sprinter is rare. You apparently does not understand the premium built in of a alko chassis with independent torsion bar soft suspension.A ultra low alko chassis does not exist your merc axle sits lower however the point of gravity of an alko is best on the market. The alko version is made to store your shoes in boxes in the double floor with heating. Again entering camp sites suitable. if in a swamp pull out your hydraulic foots 50 cm tyres up and move away when flood rises.

Bill and Derek Thankyou so much for your help and guidance. I have become wary of dealers,manufacturers and warranties due to difficulties with previous vans hence my searching questions.
You are both correct: I expect excellence from Hymer but,I suppose, there is no such thing as the perfect motorhome! Thankyou.

Archived