Battery selector problem

MotorLes

I have an Elddis Autoquest with what is probably a standard type of switch panel for selecting power to the rear cabiin. It's got a three way switch; Mid position off, up is Aux and down is Veh power.

It's suddenly developed an issue in that the position for the veh battery does nothing. Switching to the Aux battery works fine and is accompanied by a click from a relay located in the unit with the fuses.

Both batteries are charged and all fuses are ok. Any suggestions why the selector isn't working? Is there another relay that's packed up? Broken switch maybe?

Mine makes the changes automatically keeping both batteries charged when hooked up to the mains. Off the mains it will switch to the vehicle battery if the habitation battery is getting low. I'm told it will never drain the vehicle battery. All very handy I suppose as long as it goes on working properly.

Colin Leake - 2016-10-19 7:08 PM

Mine makes the changes automatically keeping both batteries charged when hooked up to the mains. Off the mains it will switch to the vehicle battery if the habitation battery is getting low. I'm told it will never drain the vehicle battery. All very handy I suppose as long as it goes on working properly.

Hi Colin,

My problem is not about charging. Both batteries are charged ok but I get no power in the rear from the vehicle battery if I select that position on the switch. Selecting the Aux battery works ok, with a corresponding relay click from the unit under the lounge seat. However, selecting 'veh', which up until now has put engine battery power to the rear, now does nothing. I can get away with just the Aux battey but it's nice (and intended) that the vehicle battery can be used if necessary. I just don't like things to not work as intended.

Unfortunately the circuit schematic I have for the Autoquest is not helpful as it's pretty basic and doesn't for example show whats going on inside the switch panel itself and just shows it as a vague box with fewer wires coming out than the real thing. Maybe there's a better diagram about but I have yet to find it.

Les

I have an autoquest 155 and as far as i know the aux/veh switch is not used to isolate the power. It should be fully up or down depending on which battery is in use. Looking at the same poor schematic it looks as if a relay is used fed from aux fuse 2? I would check the relays, fuses and switch contacts. On my 155 the switch is accessible from the wardrobe.

Archived