Height of Scooters to fit in Motorhome garage

Hymie835

Funny, I'm researching the same thing myself, and have done some dealer checking. Honda Vision 108cc is 1090mm high without mirrors (1270 with); Suzuki Address 110 (113cc) is 1095 (1250 with). Yamahas D'elight (sic) and Vity are 1080 and 1045 respectively; I assume without mirrors also. The Honda 125s are listed at 1105 and 1150 high.

My problem looks to be rear axle weight on a 3.5mt MH. What van are you putting this on? I just keep reading that there are very few vans at this max weight which can cope with a scooter.

Does anyone have experience with a 100kg scooter in the Chausson 624 transverse bed/1145mm high garage, or a towbar rack on the back of a Chausson 625 French bed, or with Sunlight T64/65 (or Carado T334/348, which are the same thing as Sunlight)? Those are on my short-list, but I can't get actual weight data unless I buy one and take it onto a weighbridge!

Thanks for the replys. I bought a kymco but with senior moment I mis remembered the measurement and it will not fit :-(

I think the Innova is the way to go otherwise it is trailers or similar which I really do not want to do.

Anyone want a nice Kymco? ha ha.

Hymie835 - 2016-10-20 1:15 PM

Thanks for the replys. I bought a kymco but with senior moment I mis remembered the measurement and it will not fit :-(

I think the Innova is the way to go otherwise it is trailers or similar which I really do not want to do.

Anyone want a nice Kymco? ha ha.

Welcome to the forum Hymie835

Well that was quick - you posted for ADVICE and less than 2 hours later advised you had purchased an unsuitable scooter :D I was going to suggest a suitable scooter for going in your garage but it's obviously too late now.

For the other contributor, I've heard of others carrying a light weight scooter on a 3500kg chassis. It's best if you have 16" wheels rather than 15" wheels because the rear axle can take more load, generally. However, most 3500kg chassis are based on 15" wheels.

If you want to get an idea of the extra weight on the rear axle just use the following formula. Weight of scooter W1, distance of scooter behind rear axle L1, wheelbase of vehicle L2, additional load on rear axle W2. W2 = W1 + W1 x L1/L2. So, if L1 = 1m, W1 = 100kg, L2 = 4m, then the additional load on the rear axle is 125kg.

Before you purchase your future van, ask for it to be taken to the weighbridge for front and rear axle weights and both axles on the weighbridge. This will give you the available payload and from there you can determine whether carrying a scooter is feasible. I would aim for a minimum basic payload of 400kg + the weight of the scooter.

I was going to suggest that you took your van to your local scooter shop and test fitted a few to work out which would go in, then do some deal (like paying a full refundable deposit by CC) which would let you take the chosen one in the van to a weighbridge to check it works out OK with the payload.

if it is good, then you have a scooter that you know fits, and if it doesn't work out with the weighbridge then you could return it.

but too late now.... :$

You haven't stated how much too high the Kymko is. Would it be an option to let down the front tyres and use the scooter engine to get the scooter up the ramp into the motorhome? I have seen scooters loaded into motorhomes in this way but this is mainly an option for those who park themselves on sites and stay for extended periods.

Hi all I have a substantial scooter rack for sale now, I used it to carry my Honda innova 125 for the last 6 years on the back of our hymer really well made by CMF in Ross on wye

Now bought larger scooter so trailer needed!

Send me a message with email address if you want any info or pictures

Snail

Should have tried a Honda Dax or Skymax 125cc at 780mm high, as the handle bars fold down for storage and only weigh in at around 75kg capable of 60 mph' It's good for exploring, running into town and shopping. Just throw a pair of saddle bags over the seat at the back. I got mine from Minibikecraze. PS this is not a twist and go model, It has a manual clutch and 4 speed box! Great fun.

dax.jpg.4a0416c2e3d000f55c1292d955f5ee5f.jpg

Archived