Cake making for Gays

Violet1956

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/oct/24/born-again-christian-ashers-bakery-lose-court-appeal-in-gay-cake-row

I can't bake a cake and may be you can't but bear with me, if you could, would you bake a cake for a gay man that had a slogan that did not accord with your particular beliefs about gay marriage or anything else for that matter?

I thought that those of us who enjoy a good debate may need a distraction from Brexit, the Jungle in Calais etc. etc. So I think this is a might serve that purpose.

Veronica

Personally I think its an absolute disgrace what that family bakery has been through ... We have a Muslim bakery in Huddersfield ... Wonder if I would get a Christmas cake made or the same gay cake from them ?? ... They've been easy targets and Im going to order a Calais cake from them with a JCB digger on it to show my support

antony1969 - 2016-10-24 5:10 PM

Personally I think its an absolute disgrace what that family bakery has been through ... We have a Muslim bakery in Huddersfield ... Wonder if I would get a Christmas cake made or the same gay cake from them ?? ... They've been easy targets and Im going to order a Calais cake from them with a JCB digger on it to show my support

I meant this to be a distraction from our usual debates. I think your post deserves a spoiler alert!:-(

Veronica

Hi All, Had the logo on the cake read "Up the IRA" and they had refused to make it, would it have got to court. If this sounds homophobic, I apologise, but it does seem like they were set up to fail by a gay rights activist. This sort of behaviour does not further the cause of gay rights. In my opinion, it has the opposite effect (that is if I am allowed an opinion on this subject).

Violet1956 - 2016-10-24 5:18 PM

I meant this to be a distraction from our usual debates. I think your post deserves a spoiler alert!:-(

Veronica

My opinion as usual probably doesn't sit well with you Veronica but thats my view ... Im the first person to stick up for gays ... Absolutely no problem and I have gay members of my family I love very much ... Is this an easy PC target regarding this bakery ?? Of course it is ... During the Notting Hill Carnival this year an on duty officer got down on one knee to ask his same sex fella to marry him while on duty , no problem ... Today in the paper an off duty officer posts on line pictures of himself in uniform on a swingers site and he's now under investigation ... Seems like its OK if ya gay but if ya not your in trouble ... The PC world we live in don't do it for me

I heard this on this mornings news. Why didn't the bakery just say "sorry we're too busy to take any more orders" instead their tactless response has landed them in it. I'm still with the bakery though, it just seems wrong to be forced to do something you don't want to, for whatever reason.

antony1969 - 2016-10-24 5:34 PM

Violet1956 - 2016-10-24 5:18 PM

Veronica

My opinion as usual probably doesn't sit well with you Veronica but thats my view ... Im the first person to stick up for gays ... Absolutely no problem and I have gay members of my family I love very much ... Is this an easy PC target regarding this bakery ?? Of course it is ... During the Notting Hill Carnival this year an on duty officer got down on one knee to ask his same sex fella to marry him while on duty , no problem ... Today in the paper an off duty officer posts on line pictures of himself in uniform on a swingers site and he's now under investigation ... Seems like its OK if ya gay but if ya not your in trouble ... The PC world we live in don't do it for me

I think the decision sounds a bit dodgy to me Stuart. Like you I have gay friends and family members whom I love and respect. Peter Tatchell wrote an interesting article that questioned whether the case had any merit. He's mellowed with age and has taken a more rounded view.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/01/gay-cake-row-i-changed-my-mind-ashers-bakery-freedom-of-conscience-religion

Veronica

Strange when I got married the sermon indicated that marriage was sacrosanct and for the creation of children in love. How do 2 males procreate or 2 female without the intervention of medical science. Was our clergyman guilty of prejudice? (sloop?) 8-)

clifford62 - 2016-10-24 5:19 PM

Hi All, Had the logo on the cake read "Up the IRA" and they had refused to make it, would it have got to court. The Gay Mafia strikes again at the expense of, what appear to be, a normal, christian couple trying to make an honest, moral living. If this sounds homophobic, I apologise, but it does seem like they were set up to fail by a gay rights activist. This sort of behaviour does not further the cause of gay rights. In my opinion, it has the opposite effect (that is if I am allowed an opinion on this subject).

I think Peter Tatchell agrees with you.

Veronica

teflon2 - 2016-10-24 6:21 PM

Strange when I got married the sermon indicated that marriage was sacrosanct and for the creation of children in love. How do 2 males procreate or 2 female without the intervention of medical science. Was our clergyman guilty of prejudice? (sloop?) 8-)

I think that we sometimes make the mistake that all gay people agree with an extremist agenda and I don't believe this judgement will necessarily be welcomed by all gay people. If we are all to live in harmony then all we have to do is agree to disagree on some issues and to have respect for alternative views. I wouldn't seek to offend or force a person who is uncomfortable with my lifestyle by obliging them to do something they found difficult to square with their personal beliefs. After all in this instance there were alternatives-get them to bake it, ice it and add the words you want yourself.

Veronica

Unfortunately as with many things nowadays the word 'tolerance' is abused. Most people will happily allow people to do and act as they wish provided they do not cause harm to others, however some of those shouting intolerance and discrimination are themselves the most intolerant in society. They often seem to argue that if people do not agree with them, then those people are in some way totally wrong, and must be destroyed in any way possible. By shouting the lioudest and getting support from the media, they manage to push, or even force agendas on the silent majority against their wishes. Objecting is not to be allowed in their world. Yet at the end of the day their numbers are so small as to be basically irconsistent with the publicity platforms they enjoy.

As far as I am concerned consenting adults can do as they wish in privacy, but when they force children who are too young to know any differently to be 'indoctrinated' before they reach adulthood and can make their own decisions, then I have to make protest.

Does sound like they were set up for a fall to me. I find their views really old fashioned to be honest when there are openly gay Christians and vicars but it should be their choice really most gay people I know probably wouldnt welcome this kind of publicity but most of them could probably make themselves a lovely cake anyway. :D

pelmetman - 2016-10-24 9:47 PM

Barryd999 - 2016-10-24 8:53 PM

Does sound like they were set up for a fall to me.

They actually think they're winning the arguments by pulling these stunts 8-) ........I suspect they're actually doing the opposite ;-) ........

I suspect your right. Most gay people these days would just laugh at narrow minded people like that and move on.

Things have moved on a hell of a lot in the past few decades thankfully. Some are still stuck in the dark ages but they are a small minority these days. People like that are just not worth getting upset about, they are a dying bread thankfully.

Barryd999 - 2016-10-24 10:12 PM

pelmetman - 2016-10-24 9:47 PM

Barryd999 - 2016-10-24 8:53 PM

Does sound like they were set up for a fall to me.

They actually think they're winning the arguments by pulling these stunts 8-) ........I suspect they're actually doing the opposite ;-) ........

I suspect your right. Most gay people these days would just laugh at narrow minded people like that and move on.

Things have moved on a hell of a lot in the past few decades thankfully. Some are still stuck in the dark ages but they are a small minority these days. People like that are just not worth getting upset about, they are a dying bread thankfully.

Was that a typo or just a sly deliberate pun Barry?

Guest pelmetman
Duncan MMM - 2016-10-25 9:37 AM

Please watch your language people. You're welcome to debate the issue but refrain from offensive terms.

I would like to apologise for Barry.......... I'm afraid he's had a very middle class upbringing :D .......

Charles - 2016-10-24 5:57 PMI heard this on this mornings news. Why didn't the bakery just say "sorry we're too busy to take any more orders" instead their tactless response has landed them in it. I'm still with the bakery though, it just seems wrong to be forced to do something you don't want to, for whatever reason.

It seems particularly harsh that people who run a B&B have to accept bookings from all sorts these days because they are allowing them into their home to sleep in their beds and have the sorts of sex which might turn their stomach, but that's the law and there are also "activists" who seek to exploit these laws by imposing themselves on suppliers of service to make their point or even as a way of getting a bit of compensation.

So if you want to be picky about who you serve, especially if you want to be picky about race, religion, sexual orientation etc, don't go into business.

Barryd999 - 2016-10-25 10:08 AM

The P word? Really?

Thought we were all adults in here. Fine though. Apologies but if your concerned about such a minor expletive why not censor the entire word rather than the single asterix the censor put in?

It wasn't in reference to you Barry, which is why I haven't touched what you wrote.

The last survey I saw indicated that the LGBT population of the UK amounted to 1.5-2%. That seems an awfully small number to get such attention as they do.Again, I have no objection to people doing what they wish, as long as it is legal, but having it pushed so positively seems a bit illogical. It is almost as if there is a form of guilt in there that they feel if they shout loud enough, will dispel it. The problem is that possibly many in the 'silent majority' will stay silent, but thinking something else entirely.

For example when the last Scottish Government intrduced a repeal of the banning of the teaching of gay matters in schools there was a very large protest and the majority of the public objected to it, not the gay issue itself, but the fact that pushing it in schools was not popular. However, the powers that be went ahead anyway. It was publicised that schools would be able to make their own decisons on the matter, but it now seems that 'pressure' was subsequently exerted to make it more dominant and virtually compulsory.

Mind you there seems to be an increasing trend for very small groups to demand attention these days. Oh dear did I mention the SNP??? The silent majority evidently just have to grin and bear it.

Duncan MMM - 2016-10-25 3:26 PM

Barryd999 - 2016-10-25 10:08 AM

The P word? Really?

Thought we were all adults in here. Fine though. Apologies but if your concerned about such a minor expletive why not censor the entire word rather than the single asterix the censor put in?

It wasn't in reference to you Barry, which is why I haven't touched what you wrote.

Oh I see. Apologies again then for getting on my high horse :-D

It will be that DaveHelmetman. Ill sort him out.

antony1969 - 2016-10-24 5:34 PM

... Is this an easy PC target regarding this bakery ?? Of course it is ... Seems like its OK if ya gay but if ya not your in trouble ... The PC world we live in don't do it for me[.

I agree entirely with your view Antony. This never sat easy with me from the very beginning and it was plainly obvious they had been targeted. There is a lot of this nonsense going on at the moment, most recently two gay guys shopping in a Sainsbury high street store told by security a customer had complained about the "inappropriate behaviour". They claimed they had "just been walking arm in arm". Funny but i don't even see any heterosexual couples shopping like that!

Rather than ask to speak to the store Manager this pair of stirrers shot off home and took to Twitter. The store Manager contacted them back by Twitter apologising and asking them to get in touch. Sainsbury's gave them a full apology and a £10 shopping voucher but that wasn't enough for this pair of gay activists. They demanded Sainsbury's address their "diversity training" then ganged up on the store recruiting hundreds of gays to stage a "kissathon" inside. *-)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3739210/Protestors-hold-Sainsbury-s-kissathon-supermarket-security-guard-threw-gay-couple-holding-hands-inappropriate-touching.html

Violet1956 - 2016-10-24 6:22 PM

I think Peter Tatchell agrees with you.

Veronica

Tatchell wrote an excellent piece in the Independent.

"Ashers Bakery’s defeat is no win for the LGBT community – it sets a dangerous and authoritarian precedent"

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/ashers-bakery-cakes-gay-marriage-discrimination-northern-ireland-a7377916.html

Archived